[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 10:53:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Enjoyed the insight in your post, Lem. Good read. I never thought of the loot being evidence, but you are right on. I would think most outlaws, with freshly procured goodies, would either be on the run and weighted down or successfully hiding out with it and unable to spend it. In both cases, they'd need to deposit it in their, like you said, ground bank accounts. Sue

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59167.html#msg59167

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:56:29 am by Sue »
Offline lem
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sue,
 Glad you enjoyed my comment, a little more info to back up my claim. 1910, puyallup, washington- A bank was robbed by 2 men who galluped away on horses to the area of puyallup i lived in. Story goes that they where captured later that day in the hills above my house. Now when they caught them no money was found on them, and they never gave it up nor was it recovered. It is supposed that they buried it some where on the hill and some effort over the years has been made to find it. Maybe they came back after jail time and retrieved it or quite possible in there haste to get away they did not mark the spot to well, as would make sence when the whole town is after you with a bunch of guns and ropes.
  To this day stories are spun as to where it might be?Huh? hummmm!

Mel
Sue,

Well son of a gun, I know Lawrence ,kansas very well. Am from Topeka, now living in washington state. Just recently My daughter and I moved back there for awhile, I worked out of lawrence and Topeka, always did like kansas. Have friends still there. I found the best and very old bottle and garbage dump on the kansas river in the north topeka area,pulled a lot of bottles from there and am planning to go back just to dig in the old dump again. Am convinced no one knows of this spot.

Mel

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59185.html#msg59185

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 09:19:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lem
Well son of a gun, I know Lawrence ,kansas very well. Am from Topeka, now living in washington state.

Mel, I'm smiling - son of a gun is right! Neat that you've found a bottle dump along the Kaw. That area was occupied by half breed Indians from the early 1830s and a ferry was started there in 1842 so maybe you came upon stuff from that era or earlier. Nice to meet you! Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59218.html#msg59218

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 01:46:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by oldcoon
I did not see the TV show but how did they explain away the DNA tests they did on the body buried in the Jesse James grave when compared to James' relatives?

An apology to all:    I screwed up the Bushy Bill Roberts thing.   It was Billy the Kid he claimed to be., an even bigger psychopath.  My bad.

I remember the DNA thing.... it was interesting.

AND "Black Jack Ketchum" is a very familiar name! There have been a number of "Black Jacks," in BC history, one is Black Jack Ware(Fort Ware,) MacDame (MacDame Creek,) an early miner/prospector, may have been Black Jack, as well.

I posted on one of these topics, that should have been put together: Frank James visited the "colony" of ex-slaves, at Saltspring Island, BC. One of BC's inner channel islands. It is recorded history, which I discovered by accident in 1968, when I lived in North Vancouver.

If Frank James was so poor, where did he get travel funds? A trip like that was not cheap, even in those days. I never had a clue, until it was brought up, on this forum.

He obviously was visiting someone he knew, and was it for cache information?

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59245.html#msg59245

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:13:37 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline lem
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 10:04:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nice to meet you also Sue,
 Really excited about your last comment on the half breed indians of the area. I just might have stumbled onto their area. Ya see I also found remnants of an old stone dock typical of the ones the indians used up here in the northwest on my river, the spokane river. It is made with a wood log frame and filled in with rocks. In the mid 1990's our river was drawn down to a level as it was before the dam went in 70 years ago, well 3 of these type docks were uncovered as the water went down, these docks where used by the indians and built by them.
  Now this dock on the kansas river is a dead ringer for the ones up here, and located in an area where you would not really want to go, this location makes sence as there is another feature to this area that is very useful in the daily lives of these indians, my mind is just buzzing right now. For sure come spring I am going back to dig. I am gonna start researching this find for info and see what I can come up with. What more might you know concerning this tribe and the area. This is just great. Thanks---Mel

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59418.html#msg59418

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 12:54:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mel, I'm on my lunch break right now, but I'm excited that you are excited! Here's an old map with the half breed reservation allotments numbered. 23 miles of res so each allotment should be a mile from W to E. They were established in 1825. Sue

We're getting off the subject of the original post, but lot 23 was owned by a fellow whose last name was James (he went by Joe Jim) plus he had a brother named Frank.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59438.html#msg59438

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Half.Breed.Res.jpg

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:11:26 pm by Sue »
Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 03:16:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
I thought Brushy Bill Roberts was claiming to be Billy the Kid? Did he also claim he was Jesse?

Very similar aspects between Billy and Jesse really right down to the questionable ending.
I think Jesse enjoyed killing and he was born into a world where he could get away with it. You could argue he was created by the times but in the end millions of men and women were subjected to those times and only a few became outlaws of renown. Just my opinon.

Hi Idaho Jones.  No, Brushy Bill Roberts who died in Hico, Texas never claimed to have been Jesse W. James.  I also noticed another poster who quoted a report saying Quantrill's Guerrillas killed "boys" at the Lawrence Raid in 1863.  Further investigation will show that these "boys" were actually Yankee recruits. 
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59446.html#msg59446

Offline lem
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 03:26:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wise Fantastic Sue, my spot is on the map, this map is so detailed  in terrane I can dot the exact spot I found, by golly I am digging out the dig tools and sleeping bag. This area is surrounded by all their other lots, I did walk a mile one way and still was finding remants, sparce but there.  What was the name of these indians or rather tribe of this area?? Also some more fun info on this area for you. When I had taken my long walk searching one day i came upon a very small 2 room cabin  maybe 80-100 feet from the water, this cabin was filled with 3-4ft of sand, an old hall tree was sticking out as was the top of an wood cook stove. It is very apparent that this cabin was flooded during the 1951 flood. would be fun to dig it out and see what is underneath the sand.

Great map thanks
 Mel

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59448.html#msg59448

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 10:17:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lem
What was the name of these indians or rather tribe of this area??Mel

Kanza Indians - origin of state's name. Two of Chief White Plume's granddaughters married French-American brothers who operated the ferry. One of their daughters married Orren Curtis and they had a son, Charles Curtis, who was US Vice President in the Hoover administration. You may have seen Curtis cemetery. Notice the peace medal worn in the picture. Finding one of those would be sweet. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59553.html#msg59553

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

KanzaChief.jpg

Offline lem
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 10:25:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sue,
 I think i might have goofed up my re-ply I sent you. So will try this way. My e-mail address is lem4153@yahoo.com

Thanks
Mel

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg59638.html#msg59638

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: