[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline midnightmechanic
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 2500
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 07:15:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

WOW and Hmm...okay lets try this for a change of view. At the age of 15 and after the Lawrence, KS Massacre, Jesse was brutally whipped in the field by the Union Soldiers, his step-father was repeatedly hung while being questioned on Frank's whereabouts. Then they threw a bomb into the house and ultimately killing his brother Archie and Zerelda lost her arm.   After the Civil War, they were not allowed to farm or take the crops to market, they were offered next to nothing for their farm land thus cutting off their means of survival financially.  Life in the South had completely changed and had also changed the James/Samuel families.  How would we react being placed into his shoes?  Was Jesse being selfish or looking to help the Southern cause and place life for himself, his family and the rest of the Southern people back to the way they once knew it?  In my view, by robbing Northern banks and trains, in his mind he was taking back that which he viewed to be theirs (Southern Pride). Maybe by hiding large caches (that even Zee would not have knowledge of) he would be a part of the South rising again, allowing life to go back to what they once knew.  They were close and family oriented, watching as their families were destroyed, killed, imprisoned, etc.   It has been stated again and again in research that Jesse and Frank were part of the KGC and they had hidden treasure all over the USA and Canada.  As any good THer knows, the key to anything and everything is research, research and more research.  You pick out what is fact and sift through the possible fiction to find which is fact and which is nothing but someones tall tale.  Putting yourself into his shoes and given the chance to have a fresh start and a good life, wouldn't you go for it?  I know I would.  Many outlaws did!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg60005.html#msg60005

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:29:00 am by midnightmechanic »
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi MidnightMechanic & welcome, Good post - I read a book written by Jesse's son that told the family's experience. Had there never been the war, I'm sure he'd have probably lived a very mundane life. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg60161.html#msg60161

Offline lem
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very difficult to assume what might have truely been their reason for their actions, as their world is torn apart, families ruined, towns burned.  A way of life that is being besiged upon by others, surely a situation to them that is worth fighting and dying for, both sides had convictions just as strong as the other. Who can really say who is wrong, yes slavery was wrong, but there was a whole lot more involved than that. Anger festers bad thoughts and bad decisions that do seem right for the situation.  No one can lay claim to good forsite and judgement in termoiled times as those days where. Probably boils down to survival at all costs. All though I do believe some bandits did use this as a very bad reason to create havic as a ruse to bring back their way of life. Any bodys guess what these folks would have accomplished in life had not the times gone so terribly wrong. All humans want peace and serenity, disrupt that and the grizzly will go on the hunt.

Lem

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg60172.html#msg60172

Offline Smitty
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 09:56:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very good point of view , Lem . Hi all , my great grand dad was a "Nightrider" in central Texas . Some called them outlaws , we are not sure what all they did . We have read they harassed the carpet baggers who came south , who dictated what the crops could be sold for . He was murdered on his property , ambushed in front of his oldest daughter , but to find a record of this has been difficult . Perhaps the local establishment covered it up .
Quite a story about James gang cache , though . Can't wait to see the next segment of the show .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg60257.html#msg60257

Offline lem
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 10:28:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Smitty,
 Knightrider eh? Quess there is no connection to the 1970's show Knightrider. Where the knightriders a secret group, vigilanties maybe. Seems I remember something of this group in reading history some where. Even today Texas is still rock solid on their ideals and morals, no reason not to be, it is their state, their way of life and a good tough history to boot. Won't find no city pansies in Texas.
 Most folks today couldn't grow anything more than a pimple or hair on their face, or could not go fishing without their brand new walmart sneekers, and lets not forget the sun glasses ontop of the head, can't shoot game without them LOL.

Hunting for gold I am
Lem

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg60261.html#msg60261

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 08:47:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Lem and Midnightmecanic you both raise some very interesting and valid points. For some Jessie will always be seen as a outlaw and for others a folk hero.

Sorry for the contentious question.

With the end of the Civil war that had torn the nation apart, was there much repression of the south by the North?

If so how many years did it take to heal the bitter wounds of the civil war?

I am interested in understanding if there is still the attitudes of rivalry between North and South today in the memory of the descendants of those who lived in those troubled times. It seems there was a lot of external factors driving Jessie Jame's life.

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg60447.html#msg60447

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is a story in the papers today about treasure hunters searching for JJ loot at Buzzards Roost near Cement OK. One fellow doesn"t seem to think the theory, from the history channel, that JJ was part of a secret society was a very good one. The article is interesting as these guys have maps, JJs watch, plus stories about others finds.

Please Register or Login

http://www.newsok.com/hunters-trail-jesse-james-gold-near-cement/article/3424702#ixzz0ZaRLrlQC

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg62723.html#msg62723

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 08:05:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, Sue, for posting the link to this interesting article. 
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg62731.html#msg62731

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 12:24:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

That show on the History Channel was awesome! Jesse James in my opinion is one of, if not, the most interesting people of our time! His stories and tales have influenced many into treasure hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg65610.html#msg65610

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 05:23:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Because you ask about Jesse and New Mexico in the first post and I wasnt sure where else to post this I will place it here for those who are interested.

Albequerque Journal Nov, 9 1956 ran a story on JJ hiding in NM with an alleged former member of Quantrils crew named John McAffe.

I was actually looking for something else when I found this and thought some might find it interesting. I make no claims assumptions or statements about authenticity or accuracy. Sorry its not very readable due to file size limits. PM me for a better copy if desired.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg72344.html#msg72344

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

52046452JJ.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: