[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline onthetrailTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bh sharpshooter
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:39:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

any info on jesse james and kgc in nm?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg57944.html#msg57944

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:13:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello onthetrail

I hope this is of some interest.

There is so much written about this mans life to point where it is hard to know what is true or not. There are a lot of places claiming association with this famous outlaw.

The history channel documentary I heard through various sources was disappointing to some because they thought that some of the alleged caches retrieved of Jessie James were faked for the sake of the documentary. Some believed that there is insufficient evidence to link Jesse James to any buried treasure.It is a fact that his alleged wife died in complete poverty.

Jesse James was a outlaw of larger than life and glamorized into a folk hero. many towns claimed his presence, many wanting to be associated with notoriety of being connected with him. Today some people see tourist dollars in selling the legend.

But who was this near mythical figure that his story was even known to people in other countries?

Jesse Woodson James (September 5, 1847 ? April 3, 1882) was an American outlaw, gang leader, bank and train robber from the state of Missouri and the most famous member of the James-Younger Gang. Already a celebrity when he was alive, he became a legendary figure of the Wild West after his death.

Some recent scholars place him in the context of regional insurgencies of ex-Confederates following the American Civil War rather than a manifestation of frontier lawlessness or economic justice.

Jesse and his older brother Frank James were Confederate guerrillas during the Civil War. They were accused of participating in atrocities committed against Union soldiers. After the war, as members of one gang or another, they robbed banks and murdered bank employees or bystanders.

They also waylaid stagecoaches and trains. Despite popular portrayals of James as a kind of Robin Hood, robbing from the rich and giving to the poor, there is no evidence that he and his gang used their robbery gains for anyone but themselves.

The James brothers were most active with their gang from about 1866 to 1876, when their attempted robbery of a bank in Northfield, Minnesota resulted in the capture or deaths of several members. They continued in crime for several years, recruiting new members, but were under increasing pressure from law enforcement.

On April 3, 1882, Jesse James was killed by Robert Ford, who was a member of the gang living in the James house and who was hoping to collect a state reward on James' head.

Jesse James as a young man of 16 battle scared from the civil war in which for him never ended and became the killing machine that by living by the gun and dying by the gun became the legend we hear today.

From a man who lived a day to day existence ruled by gun. Why would a man with so much of a price on his head would even bother to bury treasure when is only going to be one likely outcome?

I would be very skeptical of any alleged loot claimed to be buried by Jessie James. however very interesting the history of this outlaw is.

hardluck.  :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58304.html#msg58304

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

435px-Jesse_james_portrait.jpg

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:19:15 am by hardluck »
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:18:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Picture of Jesse, the kid.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58331.html#msg58331

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

jj.jpg

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 03:33:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Sue

Thank you for the Photo of the young Jessie James.

It is so easy to picture him as what we call a child soldier today. They say to see into a persons soul you can see it in there eyes. Jesse James eyes have a certain emptiness in them.

It is hard to imagine the era that Jesse James lived in. The civil war had torn families apart that took many generations for the wounds to heal. War can do some very evil things and allow peoples evil side to emerge under the banner of war.

Was Jessie James a product of his time or it was inevitable Jesse would of been the person he was with or without the civil war?

I would be interested in peoples opinion on this matter?

Hardluck   Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58444.html#msg58444

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 06:36:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Jesse James is ballyhooed as a bank/train robber but swept under the rug of time were killings that even his brother Frank would later decry as senseless.  Rather than a 'Robin Hood' or defender of justice or womanhood he was an out and out psychopath

Had he been taken alive he no doubt would have stretched the hemp for the crimes of capitol murder.

I remember reading the accounts that that crazy old coot, Bushy Bill Roberts who claimed to be Jesse James.   Had I been the Governor of Missouri I would have had the old man arrested and charged with murder and put on trial for his life.   I wonder if he would still insisted he was Jesse James?

From the day Jesse was born he was on a preordained path that would take him down the hoot owl trail.   The Civil War was merely a training ground for the young outlaw.   He surely would have ended up on the wrong side of the law with or without the war.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58455.html#msg58455

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 06:58:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Oldcoon

Your comments are very interesting because in Australia they too have a folk hero of sorts called Ned Kelly. But if you ask the descendants of those he killed? They do not see him as a cult hero but murderer.

It is I think all too easy to make heroes out of pirates,thieves, bandits and murderers and gloss over the simple fact of what they really are.

Perhaps there are many would be Jesse James out there even today some will always be predisposed to crime, others are opportunists that will emerge under given conditions. An unfortunate part of the human condition.

Hardluck.  Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58457.html#msg58457

Offline darylluke
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

History Channel just aired a two-hour special yesterday titled:"JESSE JAMES' LOST TREASURE". It was excellent viewing, and very well researched. After watching it I am convinced Jesse James did NOT die as is commonly believed killed by Ford, but died in 1937.The evidence was quite compelling to support this. They interwove this story with a treasure search by a fellow that has been researching Jesse James for 10 years and 2 years ago actually started the search.He has private investors and is searching in 3 locations with GPR.It took him that long to secure the search agreements from the various landowners.Maybe someone here knows how to find a link to post here for that special?(I'm a bit computer-stupid)I don't know even how to find online what is gonna be on when and on what channel since cable removed the tv-guide station here....I just happened to be home last night at 5pm to watch this. What a wonderful surprise it was.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58676.html#msg58676

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 06:08:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is a link for Jesse James Hidden Treasure - airs again Wednesday November 25 8 a.m. or 2 p.m.

Please Register or Login

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=502912

Here is a link to the history channel home page.

Please Register or Login

http://www.history.com/

I didn"t see the show, but did read where a guy from Wichita KS, Ron Pastore, was featured on the show and thinks James died in SE Kansas in 1935.

Please Register or Login

http://www.ksn.com/mostpopular/story/Wichita-man-tries-to-change-history-of-Jesse-James/PCbs44qI30OF7cMggl5TPw.cspx

Last week I was reading about James loot at Buzzard Roost in Cement, Oklahoma. A treasure map had been drawn on a rock and placed map side down on the ground. Whether what I was reading was real or just part of his legend, I have no idea. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58689.html#msg58689

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:09:55 pm by Sue »
Offline darylluke
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:29:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

EXCELLENT!! Thank you  Kiss Sue.Pastore was in the special.He's the one that did the 10 years of research, and got the private investors to back him.If you can't watch the rebroadcast, you gotta record it for yourself. I don't want to give any more away here. It's gonna knock your socks off!!
Quote:Posted by Sue
Picture of Jesse, the kid.
Kid is a relative term, but by no means was this MAN a "kid" in this picture. This is his uniform of when he fought as freedom-fighter aka guerilla.This also is the picture that was compared to a picture of an old man with a beard and declared to be the same man, btw on the HISTORY CHANNEL special just shown recently. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58889.html#msg58889

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 12:22:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by onthetrail
any info on jesse james and kgc in nm?

There seems to be three con-current threads/topics on the James brothers, I have posted on 2 now there is this one.... can we get it together?  Grin Grin Grin

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9223.msg58950.html#msg58950

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: