[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 05:25:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

HI Cpt & Seldom, I think the reason is so we will still talking about it and trying to figure things out ~
 Infamy could be the the name of the game   Cool

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg154889.html#msg154889

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Just a brief comment if that is possible for me. Grin

Tracing back for earlier information thanks to Luc.

I have found the book he mentioned dated 1862 "Notes sur l'Ile de la R?union Bourbon par L. Maillard, Volume 1 By L. Maillard"

From what I can read from the book there was no cryptogram or Cross of Goa mentioned? please correct me if I am wrong because of my bad French Luc

However there is evidence to suggest some treasure was taken from the Bishop of Goa by La Buse. There is a mention of 2000 paistres.

It is interesting to note by early 20th century writing much more elaborate accounts of what was stolen appeared.

Perhaps this is an example of how an event over time has become more romanticized by 20th century authors of what the real events were?

It is one of the hazards and a good lesson for anyone seriously studying the history behind treasure legends. Get to the earliest source available to know a more accurate picture of events, before later writers fictionalize the event into the legends we hear today.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg154911.html#msg154911

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hardluck ; So A witness account of the exercution process is what we need ?
 So who as it that first mentions the cross of Goa ? and where does this stoery enter onto this tale...
 From earlier post that relate to the weight of the cross, I propose that it could be possible for one man
 to be able to carry this.     Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg154970.html#msg154970

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 02:17:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldnboy

I have seen no reference to the fiery cross of Goa in books and journals of 19th and 18th century.The only mention of the fiery cross of Goa was in the 20th century. Experts on Christian crosses even doubt its existence.

As for La Buse execution I have not seen any contemporary accounts with a verifiable date near the time of his execution mentioning him tossing anything into the crowd. So the only account tossing a cryptogram into the crowd as far as I know was from accounts written in the early 20th century.

That is not to say that there is no earlier references.They have not been found as such.

If you or anyone else can provide those verifiable references predating 1862 detailing the Cryptogram tossed into the crowd and the fiery cross of Goa then please post I am more than happy to be proved wrong.  Smiley

Hardluck Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg154991.html#msg154991

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 09:48:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hardluck

Perhaps it's a bit like Chinese whispers. So there is a cross say 30 cm long to begin with and now we have a 7 or 8 foot long cross. A 30 cm cross studded with Ruby's would be a nice find. I'll See what info I can find on Le Buzz. For a bit of a refresher. What of the other Pirates that were with him? Perhaps there is also more than one location for buried treasure because I think from memory he had a few different places to hang out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg155215.html#msg155215

Offline CptEvil
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Sweden

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 03:55:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

It is probably a good mixture of fact and legends.. I guess that especially the size and value of the treassure easily grows every time the story is told.

Is there anywhere to find more facts about the 'Vierge du Cap'? I suppose a captured ship must have been reported somewhere. Who owned the ship? Was is the Portuguese state or the church?

Another question popping up, is why the captures of Levasseur didn't force him to tell the location of the treasure. If the treasure was that big, I assume it would also be of national interrest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg155242.html#msg155242

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 06:23:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello CptEvil

Most of the treasure captured by Le Buse was shared out among his crew. As was customary of the time.

As for the Vierge du Cap' you really need to get to the archives in Lisbon in Portugal. Sadly many records was destroyed in an earthquake in the late 18th century.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg155251.html#msg155251

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 05:26:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi,
been doing a bit of snooping, found the info i wanted, the lead up to oliver la bouche, which covers england (seegar), mcrae and taylor, but am not typing that lot in, so i just leave this extract. but no flaming cross, sorry.
at st marys the command of the "victory" was made over to oliver la bouche,or la buze,whos efforts at shipbuilding had apperently not met with success,and the 2 ships in company,before long took what was probably the richest prize that fell into pirate hands. the ex viceroyalty of goa, the conde de ericeira,had sailed for lisbon,in january in the "nostra senhora de cabo", a 70 gun ship,taking with him a rich consignment of jewels for the portuguese goverment, and the proceeds of his own private trading during the three years of his viceroyalty.off the cape they encountered a heavy storm,which dismantled the ship,and forced them to throw many of their guns overboard,and obliged them to put back to bourbon to refit. taylor and la buze,learning of the viceroys helplessness, sailed into the anchorage under english colours.a salute from from the viceroys ship was answered with a shotted broadside.
(bear in mind this was written early 1900`s from archived material)the booty in diamonds and money was in the shape most coveted by rovers.the jewels alone est $3 million dollars.the hard cash was said to be 500,000 crowns, and the viceroy was forced to raise another 2,000 crowns as a personal ransom,which would have been higher had he not convinced them part of the jewels and moneys was his own personal property.
bernardin de st pierre , repeats a tradition, how la buze sat the table between the viceroy and the governor and in an access of generosity remitted the viceroys ransom, la buze settled there but was hung some years later.

Posted on: March 24, 2011, 05:13:06 PM
in relation to previous message, a richard lazenby was kept on the cassandra as he was the carpenters mate, from his accounts he was set ashore after witnessing the capture of the viceroy.
also the viceroy had sent a letter to govenor charles boone (bombay) stating the he was leaving goa shortly and that the new viceroy was arriving ...francisco jose de sapaio e castro.
prior to la buze getting the victory.... charles boone took command of ship up the coast from bombay, he encountered 2 ships, sailing together cassandra, victory, ....they  damaged a ship called "the pharm"  designed with shot proof sides to carry 12.....48pdr`s, but for any ship wreck divers out there this is the interesting bit...it was ment to have had a piece of machinery on it.....boone sent orders by a gallivant for the "pharm" to be burned, and thus that usless machine from which so much had been expected, and that had cost so much money and labour, came to an end. the machinery from what read when firing at a fort shot to high, and when moved ship a bit the shots fell short 20mtrs.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg156606.html#msg156606

Offline CptEvil
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Sweden

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all,

Does anyone know the origin of the solution key to the cryptogram (reffering to the picture in the main post from Christian)?

Also, does anyone have a good idea of what the numbers stand for? There is a small text above them, but I can't see/understand what it says (maybe someone speaking French can). I have seen web-sites suggesting that some signs can represent either numbers or letter, however the number zero is in that case missing.

// Cpt.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg171464.html#msg171464

Offline whizzkid24
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 10:49:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all, I lived in the Seychelles for a year and I'm going back at the end of this year.  This story fasinates me and i would like to learn more....is there any books i can read on this subject ?  I remember someone saying "the book of lost treasures" but have never found it - any ideas on a author ?  Could people email me more information as to leads to the treasures whearabouts ? Luc I can't downloads your PDF file and Hardluck I can't open your newstory - please email to me ?  I remember talking to an old lady in the Seychelles who said that many older people on the island believed the treasure may be hidden toward the centre of the island (pointing at the great granite rocks above Victoria as she said it) but thought nothing of it since (10 years later)  Bel Ombre beach - I don't think so ?  I've also heard stories about the National Park of the Seychelles ?  We shall see.  Any information that any of you could email me would be wonderful - anything from newstories to books to read to info I can find on Mahe....anything at all would be most appreciated.  I am going on a 30 day exhibition in November and will keep you all posted as to how I get on, what my findings are and wether on not it really is worth staying out there until it's found.  Maybe you'll be part of the help ! My email is whizzkid24@yahoo.co.uk   Best wishes  Whizzkid   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7155.msg179751.html#msg179751

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Jump to: