[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 01:07:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Some very interesting points with this legend. I have no opinion either way on the truth of the legend and thus keep my mind open. However I think there is some scope for further research into the legend. Any one who knows my Modus operandi will know that I will want to see primary documents.

It is interesting to me at least is that this story is it has always seemed to lack primary documents but has a fair bit of circumstancial evidence. Some things presented have nibbled around the edges but not quite to get it past the line so to speak.

I do have a few references that might be of interest. But for now I  would like to focas on a key part of the legend. this mysterious inventory Document Allegedly found by Henry O flipper in 1911 and the one By Ruggles.

In one version Henry O' Flipper allegely obtained the document from Spain? Another says he found the document in Sonora?

There has been much said about Henry Ossian Flipper. But what evidence is that he found this alleged document all? In regards to stories claiming he went to Spain to look for documents on Tayopa?

There is no evidence he went to Spain at all. I have his shipping documents He only travelled by sea in 1923. Flipper went to work in Venezuela as an engineer in the petroleum industry. However his bio mentions he spent time in Mexico so it is possible that he found the document in Sonora? However in his works as prolifc writer he seems to not have mentionied the topic at all?

Perhaps it was possible both Ruggles and Flipper found the same document and copied it?

now in regards to this 1646 document. Did anyone confirm the  identity of the Priest mentioned in the alleged document? Was there a father Guardian Fray, Francisco  Villegas Garsina y Orosco vicar General of the Jesuits of Tayopa?

That coffee is looking good Coffee

Hardluck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224205.html#msg224205

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

image.jpg

Offline TayopaTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

Mexico

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 01:03:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G'morning hardluck  yer usual coffee in the patio?  Lupita  dos cafe en el patio por favor.

First, if there had been any readily available, reliable, primary data on Tayopa, La Tarasca, Las Pimas, La Gloria pan & Las Perlas de Tepoca mines, which were closed at the same time, they would not have continued to be lost until recently, but would have been recovered over 400 years ago.

In this light, the map in Dobie's book, surprisingly, is almost 80 %  correct, even though many have used it over the 400 years and failed to find Tayopa..

There have been literally hundreds of men of all ages, and professions looking for them for 400 years, especially Tayopa.   Many lost their lives in the search.

Flipper has many, many pages of research devoted to him and many 'do' cover his work in Spain for Greene.  While in Spain he uncovered only 'one' document on Tayopa, the famous "8 days into the sunset on March 7 th -->".   Nothing else , but he did once say that he himself, had 'never' searched for Tayopa.

The marrage, birth documents  etc from Tayopa, discovered in Sonora were by Sauer, not Flipper.  They have disappeared ??

You asked about the inventory of Tayopa by a certain Jesuit Priest  it was supposedly found in a box buried in the floor of an abandoned mission, along with many others, some of which I have had copies made, including a stylized copy of the location of the main deposit..? 

No, Tayopa did, and does exist.

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist"

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224229.html#msg224229

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

Mexico

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 12:56:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

G'evening my friends:  Cofffe ?

Flippers famous document that he found in Spain while looking for Tayopa and other mines for col Greene.

It is 100% correct.   any questions?

Don Jose de la Mancha

p.s. Merely click on the thumbnail picture to enlarge it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224282.html#msg224282

Minaca to Tayopa on the 7 th of March.jpg

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:59:44 am by Tayopa »
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Don Jose

Hmmm that  Coffee

In regards to your comments "First, if there had been any readily available, reliable, primary data on Tayopa, La Tarasca, Las Pimas, La Gloria pan & Las Perlas de Tepoca mines, which were closed at the same time, they would not have continued to be lost until recently, but would have been recovered over 400 years ago."

I do not think they were ever really lost just became un-identified over time.As for many who searched many did not have the capacity to make a proper organised search other than following up on unfounded rumor and hearsay. Very few would have the capacity to even know where to search for the documents. I suspect that it is still possible that there is documents in Spain, Mexico and even the United States that would confirm the religious and mining opprations of Tayopa?

If Flipper went to Spain it must of been via Mexico and before 1908. He definately did not go directly from the United States or returned that way. It is interesting you mention Col Greene. Am a correct to asume the map you just posted in of Col Greene's mining prospects?

William Cornell Greene 1852-1911 was a mining magnate with extensive interests in Mexico.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224284.html#msg224284

WilliamCornellGreene.jpg

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

Mexico

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 09:45:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

good morning Hard luck, my esteemed friend:  I never begin to post without first having coffee, join me ?

You posted -->In regards to your comments "First, if there had been any readily available, reliable, primary data on Tayopa, La Tarasca, Las Pimas, La Gloria pan & Las Perlas de Tepoca mines, which were closed at the same time, they would not have continued to be lost until recently, but would have been recovered over 400 years ago."

I do not think they were ever really lost just became un-identified over time.
La Tarasca and Las Pimas are still unknown.  There is a late workings also called La Tarasca, but it is not the one of the legend. La Gloria Pan has been located but not opened, I will post the story if anyone is actually interested.

Tepoca has been located also, but again not opened.  It was found primarily due to an old map which showed that It was not on the Beach, but inland, and had a small church and a large communal well when it was forced to be abandoned by the Seri Indian attacks.. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You also posted -->Very few would have the capacity to even know where to search for the documents. I suspect that it is still possible that there is documents in Spain, Mexico and even the United States that would confirm the religious and mining opprations of Tayopa?
Agreed, but to know where to search for these you must first understand the Jesuit thinking and MO in the new world.  Any records are in the  "Need to Know" files in Rome accessable only to theJesuit top Hierarchy.  Interested ?
You also asked --> If Flipper went to Spain it must of been via Mexico and before 1908.

You are correct, it was prior to the revolution.  After Green's land holdings and power were gone.
You asked -->Am I correct to assume the map you just posted is of Col Greene's mining prospects?
No, it is the actual location of Tayopa and is exactly in accordance with flippers famous story.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224305.html#msg224305

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

The Gloria Pan and Tepoa storyies deserves its own topic so Please stick with Tayopa for now.

The newpapers in 1908 confirms the announcement of a discovery. There was never a chance to act upon the discovery because of Mexican revolution and the death of William Cornell Greene later in 1911.

There is still a few more leads to tease from the story. I do have another story from the 1860's that indicates there was much interest in the Tayopa story back then.

Treasure Legends is like a slow strip tease revealing thier secrets to those who perservere. Cheesy

Now where that coffee?  Coffee

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224332.html#msg224332

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 35, Number 265, 23 June 1908 — LOST TAYOPA MINE.jpg
San Francisco Call, Volume 104, Number 23, 23 June 1908 — THE STOCK MARKET.jpg

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:45:23 pm by hardluck »
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

Mexico

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 12:12:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G'morning Hard luck mi compadre. coffee is ready for you in the patio, and any others that wish to join us.

Remember. this is not a book review, but a forum. and also a study to see if the legend of Tayopa is true and if I actually know what I am talking about.

So ask / post away pro or con, don't feel embarrassed or shy, POST !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HL you posted-->The Gloria Pan and Tepoca stories deserves its own topic so Please stick with Tayopa for now

Agreed, they were brought up to show that many legendary olden mimes actually existed, although today they are fading back into mother nature.and are being discredited by our 'enlightened' generations  Huh?Huh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You also posted -->  The newpapers in 1908 confirms the announcement of a discovery. There was never a chance to act upon the discovery because of Mexican revolution and the death of William Cornell Greene later in 1911
This was in reference to Tayopa #1, which I Have already  posted about.. .  It has not been found to date
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You posted --> There is still a few more leads to tease from the story. I do have another story from the 1860's that indicates there was much interest in the Tayopa story back then.

Treasure Legends is like a slow strip tease revealing their secrets to those who perservere
Unless there is a flash back opening chapter , no-one writes a story with the ending in the first lines. It s the same in here.  first the background and the various leads.and discussions.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224364.html#msg224364

.Tayopa.jpg

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

Mexico

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 03:18:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sheesh  782 viewers in just 4 days yet practically no one posts ??  Hmmm   Ask questions, find fault  or something, but post.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224384.html#msg224384

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 04:51:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,

It was the smell of coffee that got me here.

But i have no knowledge on the topic so i`d rather sit on the fence , listen and learn.

wuzneme

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224391.html#msg224391

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 05:00:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi , i'm like Wuzneme . nothing to add to this legend , but enjoy reading on the topic and waiting for more exciting developements . cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36559.msg224392.html#msg224392

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Jump to: