[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I know Golden I want to see that article myself. As for BA hope he is out hunting he had a bad end of week with is truck and all.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157271.html#msg157271

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 08:10:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes I'm very much interested to see it too.

I think I will see if I can dig up anything on Emil Schaffer Seldom. I agree the guy Dobie wrote about sounded like a squirrell and it's a long shot but it might bring up something.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157273.html#msg157273

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry guys...just got back from the hunt about 20 minutes ago and am trying to finish grabbing some of the Sanborn maps before the userid and password expire.
    I will say that just about every account of the Lost Adams that you read in any of the treasure hunting magazines (in print or out) or any of the collections of "lost mines" books like those by Penfield seem to basically be re-hashes of Dobie's work.   And as Seldom points out, J Frank Dobie was interested in passing on folk tales, not in the veracity of the legends themselves.   He'd take the stories he heard and meld them into what he hoped was an entertaining version that reflected the stories he had been told and were true to the storytellers art (if not to the facts).

That being said, the popular account of the Lost Adams that rings the truest to me and which seems to be the best documented is Four Days from Fort Wingate: The Lost Adams Diggings by Richard French.   I've actually got 2 copies of that book.....1 in my file (which I am still looking for ) so I can scribble notes in it, and 1 on the bookcase for general reading. 

The GPAA articles on the Lost Adams appeared in May 1995 and November 1996.   The author has some info on the web including links to the articles ----- check

Please Register or Login

http://www.lostadams.com/

Additionally, it looks like GPAA is going to include another article very shortly, this time by Richard French (the author of Four Days from Fort Wingate.   

When I find my folder, I'll have some information on the other book that claims the Adams has been found (but not necessarily where Jensen thinks).

More after I grab those maps.   Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157285.html#msg157285

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Awsome BA! Hope the trip was good Smiley

Well I spent the morning scanning geneology records looking for mister Schaffer. I basically found nothing at all that I could link to the Adams story.

Now if we want to grasp at straws here is the slim lead I found....

There was a German WWI ace named Karl Emil Schaffer born 1891 in Bavaria. Perhaps named for a father or grandfather? Can't seem to locate his parents, but the family obviously had wealth as he was edjucated in Paris and spoke fluent english. I don't believe this will go anywhere though because....

As I was digging up schaffers I came across some coincidental things that struck me. Maria Julia Thomas.... ring a bell? She was involved with a couple of men namely "Emil" Thomas and Albert "Schafer" , a lost mine full of gold, the same area Az & NM, dutchmen (germans), indian uprisings, maps, well.... you get the idea. I believe the name Emil Schaffer of the Adams story to be creative writing at this point.   

Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157361.html#msg157361

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 09:40:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

I am thinking the story told to Dobie by Bob Lewis that the German sold 60+ pounds of gold bought a ranch near Prescott were he was killed by Indians in 1867 is about as close as we can come to the truth.
There are a lot of facts in common with  "Schafer" and the lost Dutchman.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157372.html#msg157372

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

We shouldn't forget that Shaeffer(or some variation of it) is going to be a very common German name. It is the literal equivelant of Shepherd (which is a pretty common English name).....still trying to figure where my file has gotten off to, so I can't share the name of the other book yet.

Posted on: March 27, 2011, 09:21:53 PM
Biggest reason I've always been a believer in the Lost Adams is that even the "popular" tales of it carries more detail that can be more easily verified or disproved than most legends.  The landmarks are far less vague than in your typical legend.    For me the two biggest challenges have been 1) determining the exact starting point.....the older versions of the tale all say The Pima Indian Villages.  That usually gets interpretted in the modern tellings as either Gila Bend or Acton, although Marijo Wells also is a candidate as are several small villages.  Fortunately they are all in the same general area and within a couple of days travel of each other.......which brings me to the second big challenge---what is meant by a day's travel?   And that's where a lot of the confusion comes from.   A days travel for a military unit of the day is going to be greater than the typical day's travel for a civilian group.  I know that when the stories talk about finding the survivors four days from Fort Wingate, they're probably talking distance based on typical military travel......BUT the days leading up to that should be based on civilian (and disoriented civilian at that) travel.   So my own research (prior to deciding there was a good chance the diggings had been found) involved using Marijo Wells as the search center and then using the military travel as the maximum distance and 1/2 or so as the minimum....and then looking for locations that fit the landmark descriptions.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157574.html#msg157574

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Travel time is a big consideration. I read one tail where it claimed that  the party had 10 burros with them and was only traveling 10 or 11 miles a day in another they did not have enough horse so some men had to walk. To many different stories. Out of all versions out there the only thing that hold true is that there was a placer mine.
Dobie mentioned 2 different pamphlets written by hunters I am guessing around 1900-1920 has anyone seen them? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157581.html#msg157581

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 10:24:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
read one tail where it claimed that  the party had 10 burros with them and was only traveling 10 or 11 miles a day

Yeah, I figured 10 miles/day with burros to carry the supplies as the minimum and either 20 or 25 miles per day as the maximum (although I did read somewhere that the military could and often did do more than that per day for 2 or 3 days at a time).    I also figure that when the survivors were on the run they were probably doing more like 5 to 7 miles per day (what with all the running around in circles and hiding out).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157593.html#msg157593

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I read years ago that a army patrol could average 40 miles a day  that is some hard a$$ riding.

It doesn't say so that I have read but don't you think a lot of that travel by the  survivors was at night just to be a little safer? So yep 5 to 7 miles sound about right,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157597.html#msg157597

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 12:30:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

I havent seen the pamphlets yet but I have looked for them. It's still high on my priority list.

BA agread on the Schaffer name, which is also why I think it's a write in. I'm not disbelieving in the story just that one name.

I'm still reserving judgment until mr Jensen shows me some gold on if he really found it. I've seen too many people force fit landmarks before.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157616.html#msg157616

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: