[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Some great stuff being posted here. A great work done by all.

I have had some trouble posting some jpegs of newspaper stories at the moment. When the problem is sorted I will post them. One is about two prospectors in 1898 from memory claiming to have found the lost Adams. and another from 1886.

As for Jensen alleged discovery, I agree with Idaho Jones.

And even if Jensen does find gold is it really the Adams lost placer?

Hardluck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157620.html#msg157620

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

LOST ADAMS MINE SAN FRANSICO CALL 5 JULY 1897.jpg

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:25:10 am by hardluck »
Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 04:24:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all, I think it's the earlie reports that will be the best value to sole this LAD's
 There is supposedly a Brewers and Adams manuscript out there. Try the Brewers from the 1928 El Paso Herald.
 Adams was supposed to tell his story to R.C.Patterson ? Something else these old forts such as Wingate
 can change location.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157640.html#msg157640

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 04:34:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Goldnboy thanks for the reference. Here is another newspaper story.

Are the stories about the lost cabin mine the same as the lost Adams mine story?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157642.html#msg157642

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

SACRAMENTO DAILY UNION 12 JUNE 1886 LOST CABIN MINE.jpg
sacramento daily union 12 june 1886 adams mine.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 08:40:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the articles Hardluck. Smiley very interesting storys.

That would be quite a journey for Adams in the first article. Tuscon is 345 miles (in a straight line) from the closest intersection of the colorado & new mexico borders. Unless they were way off on days and distance traveled or the Pima villages were way north of Tuscon thats a long ol way.

The second one is describing the Lost Adams cave that Seldom posted earlier if you ask me. The three indians watching over the mine. Did they tell someone the story of their secret mission for Montezuma or was that just creative writing to spice up the story? Makes you wonder where that legend originated?

The last one sounds like the Brewer account, but mixed with another or two.  Undecided

Makes one wonder which tale came first, cave or canyon, and did one spring from the other? I kind of get a gut feeling the Adams Cave tale might have sprung up from the other one. Perhaps when we run out of ground on the Adams diggings we can hash out the cave story too? At least that Adams has a first name Grin

The fact that these articles don't even give Adams a first name (still with no name!) really bothers me. Obviously he must have had few real friends, no one he felt the need to be on a first name basis with?

I'm going to wander around the geneology pages today and see if I can get us candidates for a first name.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157687.html#msg157687

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:50:18 am by Idaho Jones »
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 01:13:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

For Arizona here is a list of suspects who died in the window of the story. I went a little over on the date just in case. New Mexico is proving a little harder to search in that timeframe.

Last name, first name, birth date, death date, county

Death ADAMS (?), GEORGE N.  ____.__.__ 1896.10.26 . . MARICOPA
Death ADAMS, DEWITT CLINTON  ____.__.__ 1905.02.04 . . MARICOPA
Death ADAMS, DR., O. B.  ____.__.__ 1896.01.21 . . MARICOPA
Death ADAMS, HENRY (blank)  ____.__.__ 1900.10.22 . . MARICOPA
Death ADAMS, HUGH (blank)  ____.__.__ 1910.03.20 . . COCHISE
Death ADAMS, LEONARD (blank)  ____.__.__ 1909.02.20 . . COCHISE
Death ADAMS, NEWTON E.  ____.__.__ 1909.10.04 . . GILA
Death ADAMS, WALTER (blank)  ____.__.__ 1907.03.24 . . MARICOPA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157772.html#msg157772

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 02:18:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry I haven't been participating as much as usual on this one.....life has been getting in the way (besides the few times I've tried to add something, I've run into PC problems).

To goldnboy's point about forts changing locations---Fort Wingate is definitely one that moved--at least twice.   However, all of the locations are well documented and pretty well known.   If I remember correctly, it is the middle location that figures into the Adam's tale---and every version I've seen correctly identifies that location.  However, I don't think the Fort Wingate location really is a key to where the diggings were.  Ft Wingate only enters into the picture because of the soldiers that stumbled onto Adams.   The bigger key is which of the possible locations for the Pima Indian Villages is the correct one since all of the landmarks to the diggings are from the point of origin (the Indian Villages).  After the massacre, landmark details understandably get to be real sketchy up until the point where the Army enters into the equation.   For all we know, that could be as close as 5 miles or as far as 60 or so miles from the canyon depending upon how disoriented the survivors got during their flight.

And while I still haven't found my folder, I did come up with the name and author of the other book that puts in a pretty good argument for the Adams having been found.   Look for Eight Golden Orgies: Adams' Bloody Canyon of Gold by Sarah Stuart, published in 1985.   Sarah Stuart was a pseudonym for Zola Crosby 

Please Register or Login

http://sharlot.org/archives/manuscripts/personal/Zola_Crosby_Manuscript_Collection.pdf

Beyond the question of the Adams Diggings, I'd recommend the book for any one interested in Arizona lost mines as she deconstructs the landmarks for 7 other "lost" mines.   The lady definitely spent a lot of boots on the ground and rump in the saddle time---on her own and with people who have grown up all over Arizona.

BA

Posted on: March 28, 2011, 02:09:41 PM
Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
However, I don't think the Fort Wingate location really is a key to where the diggings were

That didn't come out exactly the way I meant it to  Smiley .   Ft Wingate IS important because the distance from Ft Wingate sets ONE of the boundaries for the search-----in other words, if you take a compass or protractor and draw a circle with a radius equal to the distance the Army (and you have to first decide for sure whether we're talking mounted or not...people forget that MOST of the army units in the southwest were infantry) around Ft Wingate and then you go to the Pima Indian Villages (and for sake of arguement pick a point in the middle of the 3 candidates) and draw another circle for the maximum distance the original party could have travelled from there, the diggings most likely will be some where inside the area where the 2 circles intersect.    What I really meant was all the important directions are based on travel from the Indian villages and not from Ft Wingate.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157788.html#msg157788

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
And while I still haven't found my folder,

Sorry BA but I am glad that I am not the only one who can't find files and research knowing its right here in one of these piles of papers.

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
I'm still reserving judgment until mr Jensen shows me some gold on if he really found it. I've seen too many people force fit landmarks before.

I don't think much of Jensen's claim of finding the placer. If he did why publicizes it by writing a book.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157791.html#msg157791

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 02:42:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What I like about his claim is that he is specific enough that somebody (like me, maybe) could put boots to ground and saddle to the rump and check how well it fits both what he says and what the accounts say.   From what I've read, Jack Purcell seems to think that Jensen may have found it after all and Richard French seems to be leaning that way also.   But until I either put my own boots to ground comparing his landmarks to what I see and what is written in the accounts or someone else verifies his landmarks and findings, it's still an open folder (just not as active it used to be).....On the other hand, I can't say that I've seen any rich finds coming out of this supposedly found Lost Adams.   Undecided 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157800.html#msg157800

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 03:51:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BA I know how that life thing can really intrude on important stuff like thunting forums Grin Thanks for the links.

"On the other hand, I can't say that I've seen any rich finds coming out of this supposedly found Lost Adams"

Thats my biggest complaint about the people who jump up and down screaming I found it, but I didn't find any gold.... Also I had a bit of a hard time with his claim that he invented forensic archaeology, although I might allow him to say he officially named it.

The methodology was sound though and it's possible he found the canyon but not the exact location in the canyon where the rich strike is/was yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157828.html#msg157828

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
The methodology was sound though and it's possible he found the canyon but not the exact location in the canyon where the rich strike is/was yet.

That was pretty much my take on it, also.  Which is why I moved the file from the hot active to the "this is still really important so I want to grab everything I can on it, but I'm not planning a trip yet" stack.   And if he hasn't found the exact location the real location could still be open for filing Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22315.msg157832.html#msg157832

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: