[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
Well come on down here to North Georgia and I'll show you at least a dozen places you can pull down a hundred bucks a day for a ten hour day.  You'll stay wet, cold, tired and hungry most of the time, but hey, at least it's fun, right?

Cool!   Money is better the NO MONEY!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71517.html#msg71517

Offline Rick104
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,Fisher Gold$trike and Coin$trike, Garrett GTI 2500,Minelab Eureka Gold, Pioneer 505
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 10:00:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is not much gold in Georgia compared to the Pacific Northwest I picked up a half an ounce in one day just dinking around, in one of the smaller gold producing areas here in Washington state, you do not know this area like I do, I have been mining this area since 75 and just got serious about it this summer, not only that Oregon is only 38 miles away and is a big gold producer, California is the biggest producer it is only 275 miles away, you can work in Georgia all you want and you will not find much it has only produced small amounts of placer gold, I could make a very good living at it here on the west coast where the real gold is at, I have moved 4-6 yards a day and it is still alot of fun to me, I do not know about you guys but I have been pumping iron since 1968 so moving rocks is not work to me it is recreation, most of the gold in my area is flood gold it is in the first 1-18 inches of gravel almost every pan has gold in it, I use a beach box and the Columbia river  has always been a good producer of placer gold!! the gold is not very big but there is lots of it, there would be more people mining here but alot of them think like you can't do anything it's to hard , work is a four letter word, I can make a  hundred bucks here in an hour or so, thats 3-5 yards for a half days work ya whimp, you do not know how to prospect but I DO, you have obviously never done it!!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71555.html#msg71555

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 12:38:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well if you can make a hundred an hour, go for it!  At a hundred an hour I might consider making a job out of it too, but probably not.  And what's with the wimp comment? And how do you propose to know how much I do or not know about prospecting?  You don't know me.  You've never broken bread with me.  You have no clue about me other than the few electrons on the screen I've put out there for you to see.

I've paddled the Columbia and the Yakima in a 13' whitewater canoe, so yes, I'm familiar with the area.  Beautiful territory up there.  I've also paddled the Salmon, Snake, Colorodo, Gauley, Ocoee, Meadow, New, Chatooga, and probably three dozen more rivers that you've never even heard of.  That's how I got my nickname of bigwater.  Paddling big water.  I've humped gear out of valleys 3000 feet up to the road at take outs on some of these places.  I've also worked as a raft guide on many of these rivers.  I'm a certified wilderness first responder, and a swiftwater rescue technician... so "wimp" is not exactly the proper term to describe me.

Over the past 25 years I've probably paddled past millions of pounds of gold, and never even thought about it.  My point was that I enjoy prospecting as a hobby, but don't want to do it for a job.  If you can do it for a job, make a living doing it, and still enjoy it, more power to you.  I tend to not do "anything" to the point of it becoming a job, because once it becomes a job, I cease to enjoy it.  I haven't had a real job since 2000 when I sold my business and "retired" at the age of 36.  Everything I do now is for fun... or I don't do it.  I have lots of hobbies, some of which make me some nice coin... but none of them will ever be jobs.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71578.html#msg71578

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:49:39 am by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 04:31:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi to all....

After ready all these posts... I decided to express my 2 cents worth.... My opinions are not meant to challenge or offend anyone... if they do, I apologise right up front... however, these opinions are based on many, many years of practical experience...

I started prospecting in the mid 1960's... took a few years off for a 3 tour in Viet Nam... and other things.... Crazy..... but earnestly began prospecting in 1972.... and about 1980 turned my hobby into an occupation.... and for the most part, my income has been made from mining ever since....

Once you make the decision to become a professional or commercial miner... please have plenty of fluid cash available...as your commercial endeavor will drain you dry long before you make a lot of money at mining... in my case, I consider myself a moderately successful commercial miner.... but it wasn't until around 1998 or 99 that I began\n to consistently make money at mining... From the days of building our own dredges in the '60's to using nearly $1,000,000 in heavy equipment today.. a lot has changed in my life...would I change anything..probably not.... This is just a warning to you...that in my case it took nearly 30 years of prospecting and mining to see some good and consistant success...

If you are considering stepping up from a casual recreational miner to something more serious.. take a serious assessment of your cost...For instance, just for one weekend outing... you have your time invested.. your equipment cost...fuel... food... and so on and so on....You'll soon find, that a week end fun prospecting trip will cost a couple hundred dollars..... now multiply you cost several times as you increase you volume of gravel processed....and cut your projected earning by 50%.... IS THIS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DO FOR AN INCOME...Huh??  Pencil it out first... make sure you are making a wise choice...

Concerning nuggets.... I have found my share.. from a 2 1/2 pounder to very fine gold so small it is barely visible...  Jewelry quality nuggets can be so small to be used as inlays... or as large as 1/4 to 1/2 ounce "hangers" ... above that... you start to get into collector quality....

Jewelry quality nuggets will bring better than spot and it varies as to how much...mostly due to supply and demand.... and the collector specimen will bring up to 3 times spot usually...and more if it is just that one in a million special nugget...

For me, the handing of the gold cost time...which is money....I'd rather be processing gravel to collect more gold... that trying to sell the gold I have...It becomes a personal choice as to which is a better business choice....so I often melt everything except for those very few exceptional nuggets and turn the gold into a commodity I can use...like CASH!!!!  which is why I mine gold...so I can pay my bills and build up my retirement fund... which will usually increase in value faster than an old dusty nugget setting around for a few years... I can put my cash to work over and over again and again...and with the timing I choose.... but the nugget just gets dusty and only follows the trend in gold prices...at its choosing...

I usually use AAA metal and refining near Portland, Oregon to sell and melt my gold...  Under 50 ounce lots, they'll charge a $75 assay and the give you back either pure certified gold or cash for the actual gold minus a 7% processing fee..... over 50 ounce lots and the fee drops to 3%....and with over 50 ounce lots ... they will buy the silver and other impurities in the gold... They give me 50 % of the weighed gold at the sale and the balance of the actual pure gold amount and impurities at spot, minus any fees...usually in about 2 weeks... I've sold gold to them for several years... they are honest.....quick and very trustworthy....

As to purity of gold.... I've mined gold from Alaska to Mexico....and the nuggets and flat pieces that assayed anywhere from 71% pure to about 93%... It is a very rare situation that gold is above 95% pure in its natural state... it does happen... but it is rare...I've found most gold is usually in the mid 80% in purity range.....

I have from time to time melted my own ingots just for easier shipping and handling... but their isn't much advantage to melting your own gold...because it isn't certified...it doesn't have that government issued smelting stamp on it by the refiner...only then can you legitimately sell the ingot as .999 fine gold...or silver ..or whatever...

Below are some pictures... one of 3 1/2 ounces in a jar...very little is of jewelry quality..... another is of about 2 pounds of gold nuggets in my hands... these are jewelry and collector specimens..... and a third pix of one of my commercial processing plants....

I wish everyone's gold dream come true... and best success in your prospecting....

Klondike Ike....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71588.html#msg71588

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Blue Channel Gold 3 and half OZ.jpg
hand full of gold 1.jpg
operational plant 1.jpg

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 04:58:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Ike.  I've seen several of your posts, either here or at another treasure site, and you seem very knowledgable and dedicated to your hobby/job/whatever you want to call it.  I don't know if you've ever prospected in my neck of the woods. But around here our gold has a fairly high silver content which gives it sort of a greenish tint. I'd guess for the most part you'll average 70% gold, 20% silver in a nugget or flake.  Sometimes it's hard to even see what you're looking at.  It'll look like a hunk of moss until it sinks into the pan.  If you've ever seen a coin minted from the old Dahlonega mint, you'll understand what I'm talking about.  Green gold.

I love playing around the old mine sites.  It's amazing how the gold dams have built the rivers around here.  You can be on one side of a stream and not find a thing, and step across the stream and find a vein as thick as your arm.  Most of it is mineralized in quartz, so it's not easy to extract, but it's fun digging it out anyway.  I have rights to prospect at the old Cavender Creek mine site here in north Lumpkin County.  It's amazing how much can be found after a flood in the sand of the creek bed down below where the stamp mills used to sit.  It tears me up that the current owner of the old site filled in the 300' long mine shaft under the property when he bought it.  Man, to wallow around in that shaft would have been years worth of recreation.  He was worried about the house he was building falling into the shaft, even though it was drilled through mostly solid rock and was only about 5 feet around.  He filled it in and it's lost forever.  Just damn.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71591.html#msg71591

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sure.. different colored gold is around... The "Black Hills Gold" of South Dakota, comes in colors from pint to gold to greenish...  I've never seen that much green gold as you have posted... but nothing about gold surprises me... not only is it "... where you find it...."   it also come in may forms...

A friend of mine worked in the famous IDAHO-MARYLAND mine of northern California, near Grass Valley.... he was a young miner... followed a small mud seam and quartz to a large room where the gold sparkled from his lamp.... he said it looked like everything was "laser" cut.... it was a larger underground room where it was coated with "crystalline" gold.... its not nuggets... its not a sulphide.... it is gold in crystal form... below is a picture of crystal gold....

Good luck in your prospecting and the Green gold....

Klondike Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71611.html#msg71611

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

large gold nugget n hand.jpg

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 01:43:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

bigwater, I lived in Rabun County for a while in the 70's. and I heard a story about a local plumber who discovered gold on his property when he was putting in a well.The well driller found gold in the drilling mud. When the man tried to get a permit to mine it he was denied because his property backed up to the National Forest and the creek drained into Lake Burton. He went ahead and mined it anyway but he got caught because the rain washed the mud into a creek that flowed into Lake Burton. The Feds or State came in and took the property over. He lost his house and wife in the process. A sad story. Did you ever hear it? Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71676.html#msg71676

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 04:13:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I haven't heard of that specific story, but there are a lot of similar stories around here.  Basically we sit on four veins of gold that are each around form 1-4 miles wide and 5-50 miles long.  Lots of people have found gold under their property and been restricted from mining it due to city or county ordinances prohibiting mining.  This is really a result of the environmental disaster that was wreaked back during the gold rush of the 1820's and the resulting strip mining that occurred after the placer gold became more rare.  We have a restaurant here on the square in Dahlonega with a mine in the basement that is nothing but gigantic veins of gold... tons of it... and the city won't allow the owners of the place to even go in their own basement with a pick and shovel.  It's ridiculous.  Most of the old gold mining sites outside of the city limits are under private control, and it's easy enough to get permission from the owners of the land to prospect there as long as you abide by their rules... no Brigs and Stratton to annoy the tourists, don't dig up the banks of the creeks, plug your holes... etc... but anything that's not in private hands is strictly off limits.  It kind of sucks.  You can't even swing a metal detector around a city park around here, and get ready to face a hefty fine if they catch you spashing around in a public stream with a pan in your hands.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71722.html#msg71722

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:22:10 pm by bigwater »

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bigwater, I thought you might be from Dahlonega when you said you could make a job out of hunting gold. I used to drive through there once a week back in the 70's when I worked for the Ga. Fish and Game. I always wanted to stop and do some mining. Never did. Oh! well You should eat your dessert first! We still go up that way on our way to Helen Ga. I would like to stop in and have a meal at your restaurant next time we are up that way. 

MD rules are tightening up all around our state. Most counties and some cities still allow it in the parks but that is the only government agency that i know of that does. My son and daughter came home from college and told me a I was a "pot holer" you know what that is?
They are teaching the kids that we are somehow destroying the environment by collecting arrowheads. Not digging, just picking them up off the ground.

The amount of destruction we do is insignificant compared to building one house or one road.

The site I went to this morning is county property which was purchased for a road widening project which is going to happen in about a year. In a year the property will be bulldozed and paved and this site will be lost to historical archaeologist and metal detector enthusiast alike. Who is doing the destruction? Political correctness is eating our lunch.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71740.html#msg71740

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ike, you speak great words of wisdom.   

Many of us dream of making a living at our hobby (whether prospecting or metal detecting or something else) but very few of us ever consider how difficult it really would be to make a real living at it.   And even fewer, including those who truly have the skill sets necessary to succeed have the resources necessary to make it to the point where you actually able to sustain yourself and your family in anything approaching the lifestyle that you are used to.  For some people such as yourself and, possibly, Rick it is psychically and fiscally worthwhile to make the leap.  For the majority of us, including those who may be just as skilled and experienced, Bigwater's path is the better one.

Thanks for sharing wisdom based on experience.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6997.msg71759.html#msg71759

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: