[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 05:51:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Never Heard of Mercury called a Mineral.

It's in fact a metal.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230921.html#msg230921

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:02:29 pm by homefire »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 06:11:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So, Homie, what's gold?   

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230923.html#msg230923

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 06:35:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK!  You all are Right I am Wrong it's a Mineral.

Never thought of it as one.

Shocked

Posted on: August 16, 2012, 06:27:07 PM
How About That?

I was alway Thinking that a Mineral was a Salt of something .

Yes Salts are made of Metals just as Calcium is a Metal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230926.html#msg230926

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:38:01 pm by homefire »
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 06:45:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'll let you off the hook.   Whether it is a mineral or not depends in large part upon its state.  Once it is processed, it is no longer a mineral in the geologic source (same thing applies for gold, silver, etc)   Mercury as a mineral is rare but possible.

Definition of a mineral taken from Wikipedia:

Basic definition
The general definition of a mineral encompasses the following criteria:[2]
Naturally occurring
Stable at room temperature
Represented by a chemical formula
Usually abiogenic
Ordered atomic arrangement
The first three general characteristics are less debated than the last two.[2] The first criterion means that a mineral has to form by a natural process, which excludes anthropogenic compounds. Stability at room temperature, in the simplest sense, is synonymous to the mineral being solid. More specifically, a compound has to be stable or metastable at 25°C. Classical examples of exceptions to this rule include native mercury, which crystallizes at -39°C, and water ice, which is solid only below 0°C; as these two minerals were described prior to 1959, they were grandfathered by the International Mineralogical Association (IMA).[3][4] Modern advances have included extensive study of liquid crystals, which also extensively involve mineralogy. Minerals are chemical compounds, and as such they can be described by fixed or a variable formula. Many mineral groups and species are composed of a solid solution; pure substances are not usually found because of contamination or chemical substitution. For example, the olivine group is described by the variable formula (Mg, Fe)2SiO4, which is a solid solution of two end-member species, magnesium-rich forsterite and iron-rich fayalite, which are described by a fixed chemical formula. Mineral species themselves could have a variable compositions, such as the sulfide mackinawite, (Fe, Ni)9S8, which is mostly a ferrous sulfide, but has a very significant nickel impurity that is reflected in its formula.[5][2]
The requirement of a valid mineral species to be abiogenic has also been described as similar to have to be inorganic; however, this criterion is imprecise and organic compounds have been assigned a separate classification branch. Finally, the requirement of an ordered atomic arrangement is usually synonymous to being crystalline; however, crystals are periodic in addition to being ordered, so the broader criterion is used instead.[2] The presence of an ordered atomic arrangement translates to a variety of macroscopic physical properties, such as crystal form, hardness, and cleavage.[6] There have been several recent proposals to amend the definition to consider biogenic or amorphous substances as minerals. The formal definition of a mineral approved by the International Mineralogical Association (IMA) in 1995:
A mineral is an element or chemical compound that is normally crystalline and that has been formed as a result of geological processes."[7]
In addition, biogenic substances were explicitly excluded:
"Biogenic substances are chemical compounds produced entirely by biological processes without a geological component (e.g., urinary calculi, oxalate crystals in plant tissues, shells of marine molluscs, etc.) and are not regarded as minerals. However, if geological processes were involved in the genesis of the compound, then the product can be accepted as a mineral."[7]

BA

Posted on: August 16, 2012, 06:41:12 PM
so native gold would be a metallic elemental mineral    (meaning it is a mineral made up of a a single metallic element).   If you took the native gold and melted it down and poured it into a bullion bar, it would still be an element and still be a metal, but it would no longer be a mineral

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230928.html#msg230928

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 06:54:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Er Go, Metallic Mercury as used by Miners is a Metal! Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230930.html#msg230930

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:56:41 pm by homefire »
Offline jlivings
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Ecuador

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab SD 2200, Fisher gold bug, Fisher cz6, Garrett Sea Hunter, Fisher Gemini 3000, TesoroLobo Super Trac, Whites pin pointer
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 07:14:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I concede the point. It is possible for both of us to be correct. Mineral, metal, whatever. Mercury occurs naturally in the environment. It is like many other naturally occurring substances, harmful if ingested or encountered without precautions being taken. Please recall that I state I am not a proponent of the use of mercury. That means I am not in favor of it's use. We (I) are (am) spending time and money to educate, and to show by example that mercury use can be replaced by modern capture methods. Not quite sure why you felt it necessary to say I do not know what I am talking about, and do not really care. Your opinion is just that, your opinion and you are entitled to it. Do to our (my) direct involvement, the use of mercury is declining in the areas where we work. We discontinued the use of mercury quite some time ago, and have shown by our example that gold recovery could actually be increased without the harm to the environment, employee health concerns, and expense that can be attributed to the use of mercury.

I appreciate the interaction on this important subject, and hope that you come to realize I do not necessarily disagree with you in principle, just in your antagonistic attitude.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230931.html#msg230931

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 07:30:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I Agree to Disagree...    LOL

Just words to describe the same.

I Confess, I do Use Mercury.

I use it in a Controlled and Safe Manner.

Have for Years.

I only use it in limited amounts and alway ended up with the about the same amount I started with as best my scales can tell.

I know I loose some every run but it's barely measurable.

No Open Use here.

All controlled and under water or in a Retort.

Only use here is in a tumbler with concentrates .

Most I have ever used at one time was 3/4 oz and the recovered amount was within the same minus 200th gram.  Yes I measure it.

Antagonistic attitude!   Sorry not meant to be that way.

I am far from Confrontational most times.

Just keyed in on the Mineral thing.

My Error and I said I was Wrong.

Please  forgive me.

If you say Calcium most people do not think Metal.

If you say Sodium most people to not think Metal.

Both are Metal.  As pointed out to me can also be Minerals.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230935.html#msg230935

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:50:39 pm by homefire »
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, actually IF you can find mercury  in it's pure native state (which you can generally do if you look really close at many cinnabar (also a mineral) samples), you can see it as mineral (it won't look much different than the processed stuff).....BUT even then, it is still a metal just like that prized piece of specimen gold in the museum's mineral collection is a metal even though it is a legitimate mineral specimen.  

So, the mercury used in the recovery of gold should correctly be referred to as a metal not as a mineral since it has been extracted via human intervention from the mineral ore that contained it.

BA

By the way, thank you both for a fun and enlightening conversation.   Hopefully everyone learned something useful.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230939.html#msg230939

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:27:57 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

20 mile from here I have a place I can find small lumps of  cinnabar !  Old Silver Lead mines.    Tons of it in the tailing but the sun has cooked all that.

Not much but some.

Mercury being being labeled as the Diablo from the Earth, You can't buy or ship it around here.

So I dig it.  LOL

In the Retort it goes and out the beautiful Silver Water Comes.

Cracks me up how Evil the stuff is but there mandating everyone use CFC light Bulbs that contain it.

By EPA standards you need to spend a few thousand dollars on a clean up crew if you bust a bulb in you house but all is well.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230942.html#msg230942

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:57:35 pm by homefire »
Offline caleb
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Omega, Lone Star, Goldmaster
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 10:57:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I live about 25 miles from the Infamous (superfund) Black Butte mercury mine, both of our reservoirs have mercury contamination one from the mine and the other from gold mining activity. There are several outcroppings of cinnabar in the area and the town that used to be at the base of the butte was known in the early 20th century for its "mercury springs water" which was bottled and sold. If you handle it properly it is perfectly safe, however they used to coat the copper wash plates at the stamp mills with mercury and lost a lot downstream. The old miners said they would scrape the plates and roll the gold / mercury amalgam into a ball then put inside a potato which went into the fire, the mercury would off gas and leave the gold behind. I found a coffee can with about 25 lbs of mercury in my garage after we bought the place. I stupidly took it in to the hazardous materials disposal before I found out it was worth big bucks.  Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19946.msg230960.html#msg230960

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

London springs.jpg

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:13:53 pm by caleb »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: