[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 05:25:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I really am at a loss to understand your issue here. There is no requirement for the bank to exist during WWII if the items were found AFTER WWII, which 1959 certainly qualifies as being. The book does not give a date, or so you indicate, so there's no way to determine when the items were discovered. The bank itself could be using an older bank and its buildings for a foundation of its offices. As I explained earlier, banks consolidate their offices and personnel during mergers or new bank creations. Why would you assume otherwise? Why presume that the bank was formed from all new buildings and all new offices? That defies logic.

The important question to ask is when was it discovered. Only then can you really take issue with the information being incorrect.

You are at a loss to understand simply because you are unaware of the time-frame of Chapter 4 "Storming the Indies", of which page 46 is a part of, was set in. The chapters are set in chronological order, and chapter 4 deals with happenings from 1941 to 1945 (those are the earliest and latest mentioned in the chapter).

By simple inference, everything in that chapter occurred in that period, and not in a post WW2 era. If you REALLY want to understand my stance, the link to read that chapter online was given in a previous reply to Goldigger. If you don't know the time frame of that chapter, you will remain at a loss to understand.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54794.html#msg54794

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 06:01:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
The real history of what happened as opposed to the claims the Seagraves make in their book, of which the real history of WW2 would probably be part of.

Sorry...you seemed to have confused a treasure hunting adventure book for REAL history. That happens sometimes   :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54802.html#msg54802

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are at a loss to understand simply because you are unaware of the time-frame of Chapter 4 "Storming the Indies", of which page 46 is a part of, was set in. The chapters are set in chronological order, and chapter 4 deals with happenings from 1941 to 1945 (those are the earliest and latest mentioned in the chapter).

By simple inference, everything in that chapter occurred in that period, and not in a post WW2 era. If you REALLY want to understand my stance, the link to read that chapter online was given in a previous reply to Goldigger. If you don't know the time frame of that chapter, you will remain at a loss to understand.

The book you are referring too is a novel (fiction) and as such...does not have to be chronologically correct 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54803.html#msg54803

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 06:05:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rational Observer
Sorry...you seemed to have confused a treasure hunting adventure book for REAL history. That happens sometimes   :Smiley

If there was any confusion, I'd hardly be asking you for book recommendations, would I?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54805.html#msg54805

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 06:25:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The book you are referring too is a novel (fiction) and as such...does not have to be chronologically correct 

In the light of your stance, 100% agreed. And I am inclined towards that position as well, that it is mere fiction. I guess you don't have any decently accurate books on WW2 looting to recommend eh?

Assuming it is correct to state that the book is merely a work of fiction, it is really stretching logic too far (even for a work of fiction) to assume that the Golden Lily could "discover" bullion in the central bank of Malaysia on or after 1959. I can accept a premise (fictitious or real) of the Golden Lily chaps striding into war-torn and defeated Malaya and discovering (and looting) all they wanted.
I cannot however imagine Hirohito's relatives trying to gain access into Malaysia's central bank so that they may "discover" bullion. They'd have no right or business to be there in 1959 or later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54807.html#msg54807

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 07:27:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Inference is down to your interpretation. That's what I mean when I say it's hard to figure out what you are really needing to know.

I did try to do some searching on the web regarding the formation of the bank but it all does lead to the 1959 start date. The newspapers of the day may have some more information regarding which banks, if any, were absorbed into the new structure. Are you understanding what I mean? I'm not suggesting for a second that you are wrong. I am simply at a loss to understand why you don't want to pursue the origin of Bank Negara beyond what is in the book.
Posted on: October 20, 2009, 04:25:42 AM

You're being a bit insulting now, RO. I also believe that there is no such thing as the Yamashita Treasure but that's no reason not to give serious attention to the point that Hobbyist is researching - the creation of Bank Negara.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54823.html#msg54823

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:30:18 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 01:10:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Inference is down to your interpretation. That's what I mean when I say it's hard to figure out what you are really needing to know.

I did try to do some searching on the web regarding the formation of the bank but it all does lead to the 1959 start date. The newspapers of the day may have some more information regarding which banks, if any, were absorbed into the new structure. Are you understanding what I mean? I'm not suggesting for a second that you are wrong. I am simply at a loss to understand why you don't want to pursue the origin of Bank Negara beyond what is in the book.
Posted on: October 20, 2009, 04:25:42 AM
You're being a bit insulting now, RO. I also believe that there is no such thing as the Yamashita Treasure but that's no reason not to give serious attention to the point that Hobbyist is researching - the creation of Bank Negara.

I already have pursued the origin of Bank Negara to the extent of phoning them for info. And its really quite simple what I need to know: Why was a then non-existent bank mentioned in the same breath as the Golden Lily? Still no reply from the authors; I'll give them till this Sunday and then write in to Verso Books.

RO's laconic style is not insulting. I've heard worse things merely for asking for permission to detect on a property, and for favoring to swing a Nokta. Since RO had stated that the Seagraves chose to omit pertinent facts and documents, I had hoped he/she'd share some of the said omitted material. But evidently that is not forthcoming.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54878.html#msg54878

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 02:54:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

I cannot imagine my post being insulting, by simply pointing out the category of the publication.

In regards to suggesting another source that includes the real history, I cannot do. The Golden Lily was a fictitious organization created by the Seagrave's to enhance the novel Gold Warriors. It is a single source conspiracy theory, and as such, can only be found in one place.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54885.html#msg54885

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 03:10:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

I cannot imagine my post being insulting, by simply pointing out the category of the publication.

In regards to suggesting another source that includes the real history, I cannot do. The Golden Lily was a fictitious organization created by the Seagrave's to enhance the novel Gold Warriors. It is a single source conspiracy theory, and as such, can only be found in one place.

Of course it was not insulting in the least. You merely pointed out your stance on the book.
And seeing as it is a work of fiction, I was not asking you for further info on the Golden Lily; rather the phrase I used when asking you was "WW2 looting". I'm very sure looting did take place....do you know of any author who documented such acts?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54895.html#msg54895

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 05:08:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A very good question. Is there a scholarly publication in regards to the looting done by Japan, during World War ll. To be honest, I cannot think of even one now. I know there are some publications that make reference to the looting that did occur, but not a publication dedicated to just looting, with statistics.

It is rather odd that there has been lengthily investigations to the looting done by Germany in Europe during World War ll (see link below), but not a lot of mention about the looting done in Southeast Asia.

Will continue looking.

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=1dRKMeIM6EcC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8649.msg54945.html#msg54945

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.