[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline timber wolf
Pull Tab

Hunt like there is no tomorrow
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES PRIZM V
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by LeRoy Silver
That seemed the right thing to do but now you see what happened. I believe that every attempt should be made to return lost items but one can only go so far. If theres a name in the ring do your best to find the person. There are websites for lost and found Class rings. You found something different though. No names inscribed so what is one to do. Finders Keepers? If you found a cache of gold coins on a old homesite would you call the police or the media if so you are asking for trouble. Here comes everyone including the IRS to lay claim on YOUR treasure. Of course have permission to look there and maybe a contract but they are only so good too. Loose Lips Sink Ships and there are plenty more sayings also that say keep your mouth shut and enjoy your finds. Maybe some dont agree but I bet most do
     Shocked i agree with LeRoy Silver, I wished i knew what has happened over the years,i just  read the entire post now i'm curious as to what has happened to the ring lol...

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg138984.html#msg138984

Offline cherylc
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My brother found $20,000 in a dog food bag and called the police to see if anyone had reported losing the money.   They came and picked up the money and said it was not his property and if it was not claimed, it would be kept by the police department "unclaimed".  For future reference just place an ad in your local paper under lost and found and if someone can describe item and where they lost it you can return it.  If not claimed, FINDER'S KEEPER'S.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg139083.html#msg139083

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2011, 08:27:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In all states that i know of to include Military reservations, any unclaimed money goes back to the finder after a wait period , usually 90 days, If your brother did not go to the police station and fill out the paper work , then that's why he did not get the 20k back.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg139086.html#msg139086

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline mindshare
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2011, 04:00:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This kind of news is what makes people dishonest. I would go straight to the cop shop and ask to see the merchandise and see if they still have it. If not, take it to a lier, I mean lawyer. He would be your best bet if there is a law suit to be from the incident. Cops are not above the law and they do lie. After all, they are human aren't they? So they are not above lieing to get their way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145438.html#msg145438

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2011, 05:33:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

many many years ago in 1996 I got stoped by the police and when asked if i had any knives etc and as i did seeing as i just left work i had one in my tool box,so i gave it to them anyway i got charged for having an offensive weapon, when it went to court i explained to
the judge, and he threw the case out of court and and i asked the judge if i could have my knife back it was a kock knife with a 3" blade,so the judge said i could because it was part of my tool kit, So after the court case i went home and phoned the police and told them that the judge said i could have it back and they said i can't have it back because it was no longer at the police station, so i asked them where has it gone,they just said it was'nt there so thats it, then i said that knife was evidence and that it was my property  and i want it back, they  said well you can't ,so i said that i would turn up with my lawyer and a TV crew the inspector said
do what you F@@@@@G WELL LIKE, So i said ok I'LL see you in an hour and i hung up, Within 20 minutes i got a phone call saying
that i could pick my property up, when i got to the police station the duty sgt at the property office said what type of aircraft do you work on to need a knife like that on so gave him a big long list and he said bollocks i said NO AIRCRAFT,  then he said nice knife that how do you get it so sharp ,as it turned out it was that duty sgt at the evidence store that took it ,

bottom line is you have phone records showing you phoned the police and just tell em what i did and you will get it back or the reward
good luck  

john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145463.html#msg145463

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:45:43 pm by auminesweeper »
Offline mindshare
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2011, 06:31:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great story. Love the outcome. Sorry about the hassle, but it shows you that some of the cops are criminals themselves and feel above the law. It's time to put the screws to anyone thinking they can steal your finds. Shame that you had to threaten with the law and TV crew. I think the TV crew thing is what did it. No one wants to be on TV with bad press.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145470.html#msg145470

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2011, 06:43:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well i think when i said that he knew i was serious and he just did'nt think anyone would have in them to question them, I guess he was wrong let alone take them to court.

john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145474.html#msg145474

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by auminesweeper
many many years ago in 1996 I got stoped by the police and when asked if i had any knives etc and as i did seeing as i just left work i had one in my tool box,so i gave it to them anyway i got charged for having an offensive weapon, when it went to court i explained to
the judge, and he threw the case out of court and and i asked the judge if i could have my knife back it was a kock knife with a 3" blade,so the judge said i could because it was part of my tool kit, So after the court case i went home and phoned the police and told them that the judge said i could have it back and they said i can't have it back because it was no longer at the police station, so i asked them where has it gone,they just said it was'nt there so thats it, then i said that knife was evidence and that it was my property  and i want it back, they  said well you can't ,so i said that i would turn up with my lawyer and a TV crew the inspector said
do what you F@@@@@G WELL LIKE, So i said ok I'LL see you in an hour and i hung up, Within 20 minutes i got a phone call saying
that i could pick my property up, when i got to the police station the duty sgt at the property office said what type of aircraft do you work on to need a knife like that on so gave him a big long list and he said bollocks i said NO AIRCRAFT,  then he said nice knife that how do you get it so sharp ,as it turned out it was that duty sgt at the evidence store that took it ,

bottom line is you have phone records showing you phoned the police and just tell em what i did and you will get it back or the reward
good luck 

john

Not all police are true public servants, some are worse than the criminals they arrest. About 40 miles from where I lived and worked for twenty plus years a group of police officers were involved in a theft ring for a number of years, they were finally caught by an observant officer in their area and prosecuted. I know first hand what goes on in some departments, I retired from a law enforcement career. Thank God for those that are honest and are not corrupted by money etc...

John in Va

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145556.html#msg145556

Johnlaw

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2011, 11:08:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for your post. It helps us all make intelligent decisions when dealing with the police in such situations. Im glad that is all the police took. I am not afraid of criminals, I am afraid of the powers to be.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145593.html#msg145593

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2011, 11:14:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by johnlaw
I retired from a law enforcement career. Thank God for those that are honest and are not corrupted by money etc...

The good one's are great but the bad ones make them all look bad.
Back in the 70's in a town close to me 7 of 11 officers were arrested by the FBI for bank robbery. It was hard for people around here to trust the polices for years 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145596.html#msg145596

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Jump to: