[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2011, 05:39:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well i've known some great police officers and a few bad ones,it's the same the world over

john

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg145651.html#msg145651

Offline Squishy
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2011, 03:18:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think in most States, they keep  it for a period of time and, if it is not claimed, then it is returned to the finder.  If the ring is valued at $4K to $5K it would be worth $100 to have a lawyer write a letter requesting its return.  There should be a police report with the details on the ring and you, so even if you did not get a receipt, the police report should provide proof.

Get your ring back
-Mike-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg153051.html#msg153051

Offline mindshare
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree, sounds like the cops are theives in this case. Get your find back Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg153052.html#msg153052

Offline Florida Keys Pirate
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Call the chief of Police , and let him know you want it back or you'll be going reporting the incident to the local media. You'll most likely get it back.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg167976.html#msg167976

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Florida Keys Pirate
Call the chief of Police , and let him know you want it back or you'll be going reporting the incident to the local media. You'll most likely get it back.

Thats what I did and i posted it on this thread a few pages back.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg167981.html#msg167981

Offline Gold Finder
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pinpointer
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Okay, here's a little history of the common law and "lost" property.  However,  common law has, in nearly all jurisdictions, been changed.  But a court in this country is supposed to make its decision first on the statutory or case law.  So what does this mean?  It means that if there is a statute (federal, state, or municipal that covers the circumstances, e.g. treasure trove, then the court (and the police) must follow the statutes or codes that cover the facts.  If there is no statute or code that covers the facts, then the common law applies.

The common law was that no one could defeat the true owner of the property from asserting his/her claim to title (i.e. possession) of  the lost or stolen property.  It belonged to the true owner, period.  But, when the true owner couldn't be determined, as is usually the case in treasure trove, it belongs to the one who found it.  That person(s) gets to keep possession above all others (including the thieving police chief in this instance).  Unless there is a statute expressly stating that the property must be safeguarded by the police which is HIGHLY DOUBTFUL.  But, it is possible.  So go on the internet and make a google search for your state with these search terms "law of treasure trove in OK (my state, put your state in)" "Rights of Finders of Lost Property in OK".  I would not be a bit surprised that you will find the answer you want.  If the police chief comes up sucking eggs in your research, make several copies of the research results and call your local newspaper and tell them that you would like to give them an exclusive on some wrong doing by the local police chief and tell them what happened, show them your research and then invite them to accompany you to the police chief's office where you will make demand for the return of your property or you will go to the local FBI office and file a police corruption charge against him/her.

Now if it weren't 11 p.m. here, I would probably do some of my own legal research at the law school in the law library or at the law library of the county court house to get some cases on the matter---I can assure you there will be plenty of them, you just have to put in the time reading the cases to find them (sort of like looking for nuggets or diamonds or.......)  So good luck, and hopefully the jerk will not give you a speeding ticket in the parking lot.  Gold Finder, a/k/a Oklahoma Atty Bernie Piel

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg167985.html#msg167985

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 09:52:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The best bet is not to tell anyone like this, of your finds at all. (If you trying to see if an owner can ID it, then use the classified as the others have mentioned)

Just don't tell others like were discussing about the find, unless you feel like going through hassles like this or worse.

The trouble starts when notification is made, then the liars and crooks come out and figure ways to get that stuff from you, and I mean the cops here as we all know there not exempt from this type of intimidation at all, and are in fact the topic of much discussion on these subjects usually.

Evidence being held sometimes has a way of being misplaced or lost, and that is easy excuse for them to make if they feel they have an upper hand over you. So act like you know whats what and that your going to be keeping records of the process & request copies of all paperwork reports.  In todays financial ruin were all in fiscally, these types of property losses and theft by the ones sworn to be honest become more prevalent and there very bold to do it too, so they think. (There mind set, who can question us. Were the Police)

I enjoyed reading (DFx Gregg's) reply & he's right, there are a vast majority of Police Officers that are true to the job as he is.

I was well on my way to being a Police Officer in a good sized coastal city PD in NC, while many cops are honest and serve with good integrity, there are a good number who may not be and sometimes really prove that point.
I already knew & experienced this prior growing up as I'm sure we all have. But being a US Marine Corps veteran, I just figured that was the job & career path that was calling me and I gave it my all for 18 months at 110%, but I truly saw in ride alongs after I passed all phases of testing written/B-pad/Physical & mental and also scored great my 1st interview boards, but in these ride alongs I saw that most I rode with were out to pull people over for nothing & without just cause merely just to check them out or ticket them so the city or town would have a few extra bucks for the coffers road worx or were just showing off having a ride along prospective new recruit along for the shift, and also how they acted & talked to people at calls where we went on personal disputes and all that Jazz, where it's possible to be the guy in the right but end up being the one arrested. (I then decided that I wanted no part of being a Police Officer at least in that small city.)

"Mel Fisher" used to have a good & true saying: The trouble with treasure starts when you find it! ....But as seen in these post's, the trouble with treasure starts when others become aware of your find.

Good luck & here's to the good hearted guys in the hobby like you are and most are, that did what they thought was right!

>Get the officers name & ID number, check the police blotter on the date he came by and took the ring from you, call the chief at that department & tell him what happened and give him that officers name and badge number. Tell him you demand the ring back asap or your going to files charges against that Officer and your also going to the newspaper & the radio stations with your story!  (Do as the others have mentioned)

Jimmy

Quote:Posted by mindshare
Great story. Love the outcome. Sorry about the hassle, but it shows you that some of the cops are criminals themselves and feel above the law. It's time to put the screws to anyone thinking they can steal your finds. Shame that you had to threaten with the law and TV crew. I think the TV crew thing is what did it. No one wants to be on TV with bad press.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg167989.html#msg167989

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:34:35 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Weldone guys, you put some life in to this topic.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg167990.html#msg167990

Offline Florida Keys Pirate
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oops......didn't read all eight pages before I posted. But, I'm glad you got it back. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg168004.html#msg168004

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2011, 06:11:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Florida Keys Pirate
Oops......didn't read all eight pages before I posted. But, I'm glad you got it back. Smiley

Thats alright Mate you just enjoy ya self, nothing wrong with that Grin Grin

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,977.msg168055.html#msg168055

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Jump to: