[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cwlead
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites, tesoro minelab
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

I too have been looking at the jeo tech and with the coil it has how will it do with pinpointing coin size targets

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186272.html#msg186272

Offline ViracochaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Oh boy what a day a the beach!

Today's test was at the beach..just in case you couldn't figure that one out Blue's Clues lol

After applying (liberally) spf40 we where off to the races

One your terrain changes, so does your ground balance!  Then you do the Turkish two-step.. again

Pinpointing is really easy!..right smack under the centre part of the coil.  Now it has a different type of targeting system that took a bit to get used to.  If you see in the picture here with the joystick, you will see a black button.  (the guy who designed this played allot of flight simulator)  when you hit a target you get a sound and a light alert, you sweep it twice then you move it away and press the (side-winder missile )button and move it over the target again, and then it tells you either ferrous or non..

Oh let me get back to the pinpointing.. the centre part of the coil illustrated in the picture.  Smack dab right under the centre part, as long as you keep it 8-15 cm (about 3 1/2" from the ground)  Funny once you lift the coil from the target even a few inches....lost! This thing does not do well in the air test at all!  But then again, I'm not searching rain clouds for treasure!

I will be honest, my first impression of the unit was... is this their prototype?  I have worked in the manufacturing business from concept to cash sale and I know production quality.  They have not invested a whole bunch in tooling or material finishing.  I think all the money was spent in the box!... Lemmie explain Lucy!  From what I can tell, most of this device was put together by hand.  Things like the foam pad on the arm rest where cut by hand (not symmetrical)  The tooling marks on the device from the moulding and production suggests that they didn't refine their tool dies.  Or they just didn't have the resources to do so.  they got to phase 2 of the tool and die step and figured.. Meh, good enough!  Parts where obviously trimmed by hand and glued by hand in some places.  This was not put together by automation.  This was put in front of someone at a work bench.

I am just being picky, but when you drop 2k you want to know where the money went.  If I had the choice I would obviously choose to have a great guts in a crappy container any-day!

I still feel that the guy who designed the handle watched a little too much TopGun!  I can here IceMan in the background "It's a pull-tab Mavrick, not a diamond ring!"

I don't mind that it feels like a prototype, because it feels solid.  the toggle switches and dials all feel solid and not weak and cheap flimsy.

The headphones where defiantly cheap-ass  Like a set you would get from AirCanada for 10 bucks and use once! and given an adapter for the larger jack size.  It does have an external speaker and volume control.  I found that I just ditched the phones and went with the speaker.

Not too sure why they went with an external battery pack... I mean the thing is really light and they could have easily incorporated it into the design.  So your attached to this fat cell phone clip that connects to the back port of the MD (if you go back to previous pics you can see...oh hell Ill just repost it)
I didn't mind it soo much.. I didn't even really feel it at all.  Any way, most of the day yesterday was testing and groping by the other MD guys (the device, not me!)  Lots of Ohhhs and Ahhhs and "hey let me hold it, no I wanna touch it!"

One thing that we did find while testing and Oogling was a cable!...yeah, right by the volleyball nets on the beach.  I get a hit and start diggin..and diggin.. and wondering when the parks n' rec guys would come over and say "what the heck are you doing...we got a lake already.. look behind you"  Yeah so this cable (12/2) was about a foot and a half or more (we should have pulled out the ruler for this one) under the sand..  We had a whites, garrett and tesoro guy and they never detected it..  We figure it must have been used for lighting way back in the day because it was not live... yeah tesoro guy tested it with a nail...I reminded him that he too was conductive.  That was a Darwin award nomination right there!

Well the day was soon done and these guys returned to their wives and I went back to our kitchen reno... not much in the MD'n that day, more just chatting and testing.  I hope today to really get out on the field for pure MD'n

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186288.html#msg186288

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

geotechG.jpg
geotechI.jpg
jeotechO.jpg

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2011, 02:40:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Got back from a elementary school field.  Soil conditions: Sod and hard compact dirt  really compact....

I dug everything I hit regardless of ferrous or not.  Pinpointing was a breeze.

Nothing great on the depth scale..Everything was found in less than 6 inches.  I mean things like the quarter was only in 2 inches on its side..the deepest was the Crime Stoppers pin at 5 inches.  Nothing that will help me pay for this MD lol, but it did find some small items and it was accurate on the type!

Going back this afternoon, new location...and hopefully with someone to bench mark with!

J.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186330.html#msg186330

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

JeotechFindA.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Viracocha
I am just being picky, but when you drop 2k you want to know where the money went.  If I had the choice I would obviously choose to have a great guts in a crappy container any-day!

If it's any comfort, early models of any device are always more expensive than later productions. The designer has to make a living.

Sounds like you have a winner there. About your battery pack, try adding a couple of tool clips to it on a leather strap and snap it to the shaft. Use a small piece of aluminum and a leather strap to attach it to your battery pack and not void the warranty. See the clip below. Found at any hardware store for pennies.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186331.html#msg186331

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Tool-clip.jpg

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline joejoe
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2011, 02:56:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good write ups. And remember- a turkish hand made product is usually VERY expensive. Just look at those carpets! Tongue  A steal at only two grand.
    We'll keep checking in.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186335.html#msg186335

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2011, 05:41:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
About your battery pack, try adding a couple of tool clips to it on a leather strap and snap it to the shaft. Use a small piece of aluminum and a leather strap to attach it to your battery pack and not void the warranty. See the clip below. Found at any hardware store for pennies.

Humm not a bad idea.. I have seen those clips at the hardware store too... good idea!  OK "P" break is over, back to the grind!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186362.html#msg186362

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2011, 11:20:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Questions:

Was it a salt water or fresh water beach?
Did you try out the coil in the water and if so how was the performance?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186395.html#msg186395

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Fresh water lake here in the Okanagan BC Canada.  The coil is not waterproof..It should be by the price tag, but no unfortunately it is not

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186510.html#msg186510

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2011, 01:37:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Viracocha
The coil is not waterproof.

A quick and dirty way to waterproof a coil is to slip the coil and shaft into a heavy (thick as you can get) garbage bag removing as much air as you can and tie it to the top of the shaft on your detector. Don't use it more than once and inspect it often for damage.

I have also used a product called Dip'd to cover a coil. Dip'd is used for tool handles. Brushed on, it covers very nicely. Apply silicon RTV around the wire entry point and you have a waterproof coil.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186514.html#msg186514

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2011, 04:32:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now that is a stellar Idea!.. I am going to wait till the warranty is over (2 years) but I do like that suggestion...

Posted on: July 12, 2011, 04:30:12 PM
I am heading to the beach with shovel and empty containers in hand to test void depth detection.  A couple of yogourt containers and a coolwhip container should do it.  I wish I had a coffee tin..  I am told so many items are buried in coffee tins..

Any suggestions?

Open to all ideas for tests

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25622.msg186538.html#msg186538

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: