[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline JimiDPirate
Copper Member

Pirate/Biker
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aque Pulse and Excaliber
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2009, 08:50:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

There has been some finds , a little gold was found the first of the season. A beautiful 8 escudos +1 that I've ever seen and held! With the exception of the ones on display up in Tallahassee - the State always seems to get the best of what they don't have! A bronze pistol barrel (rare) and a pair of dividers that looked brand new, a clump of silver # 4s.  A chunk of pewter plate and many various eo's. Shards and ballast. An anchor was brought up the other day just N of Jupiter and is on it's way to Guess where ... Tallahassee.   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg46636.html#msg46636

Old Friends Old Wine & Old Gold Are The Best!

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2009, 09:37:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't think much has been found lately due to the wave action and stirred up water. I guess you have to do it whenever you can though and some will stay at it more than others. I gather all the things you mention came from the 1715 areas. That nice 8 escudos you mention will likely end up in the state collection also, if it is exceptional. Such is the game. Also a couple questions, I see the compressor on top of the boat, are you guys using hooka or is it for filling tanks?  I seen a boat with a flat roof like the one you are on, over at the Jupiter site recently, was that you guys? Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg46658.html#msg46658

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:07:40 am by JCPinCt »
Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2009, 09:59:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

So what is the incentive of paying $1500 for a permit or partnership as a sub contractor if they are taking everything?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg46662.html#msg46662

Offline JimiDPirate
Copper Member

Pirate/Biker
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aque Pulse and Excaliber
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2009, 10:32:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by JCPinCt
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't think much has been found lately due to the wave action and stirred up water. I guess you have to do it whenever you can though and some will stay at it more than others. I gather all the things you mention came from the 1715 areas. That nice 8 escudos you mention will likely end up in the state collection also, if it is exceptional. Such is the game. Also a couple questions, I see the compressor on top of the boat, are you guys using hooka or is it for filling tanks?  I seen a boat with a flat roof like the one you are on, over at the Jupiter site recently, was that you guys? Thanks

It was exceptional... We use hooka mostly but use scuba now and then, ecspecially when we are birdoggin. Nope wasn't us at Jupiter ... All boats working the 1715 will have a C # on each side of their vessel. The Jupiter site is not a 1715 Fisher lease area.

HERES THE ARTICLE ON THE ANCHOR

Lifeguard finds aging anchor, possibly from the Civil War-era, off Jupiter

By BILL DIPAOLO

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

JUPITER ? Fearing pirates, Peter Leo had to act fast.

Tipped by a snorkeler about a barnacle-encrusted anchor 100 yards off Coral Cove Park, the 53-year-old Palm Beach County lifeguard checked it out the following day, then spent the night in his sailboat above it to protect his booty from potential thieves.

A wooden rudder found near Coral Cove Park is displayed at the historic Tyndell House. An anchor that could be from the same wreck was found and recovered in July.

The next day, he and other divers gingerly used inflatable equipment to haul the 10-foot-long wood and possibly iron artifact north to the federally protected waters next to Jupiter Lighthouse.

"If we left that anchor where it was, somebody would have stolen it," Leo said Monday, standing on his lifeguard perch at Coral Cove.

Leo was one of several divers who 22 years ago discovered the wreck of a 1660 Spanish courier ship near Jupiter Inlet, and he figured this new find was an anchor from a Civil War-era schooner.

Leo heard about the anchor from Jim Jorden, who found it July 2 while snorkeling in 20-foot water for lobsters.

"I saw the whole anchor as plain as day. I just happened upon it," said Jorden, a marine electronics salesman who lives in Palm Beach Gardens.

Leo should not have touched the anchor, said Vincent Birdsong, a supervisor in the Florida Division of Historical Resources. The law requires divers to report all potentially historical underwater discoveries to state or local authorities.

But Birdsong said, "I don't think anyone is going to prosecute (Leo). His intent was not to steal the anchor. And he did report the anchor to the Coast Guard."

The anchor is the property of Florida. State Division of Historical Research officials plan to pick it up Aug. 26 and take it to Tallahassee, where they will use an electrical process to stop it from rusting.

Leo says he is "feverishly" exploring the site, looking for more artifacts. Before finding the anchor, he spotted a rudder he thinks might be a part of the same ship. It's on display at the Tyndall House, next to the Jupiter Lighthouse.

State law allows Leo to look, not dig. "I hope to find a whole boat out there. That's the wonderful mystery," he said.

If he finds treasure, he hopes to work out the same agreement with the state that he did regarding the San Miguel de Archangel, a Spanish wreck he and two other lifeguards discovered off Jupiter Inlet in 1987. A U.S. District Court called for Leo and his salvaging partner to employ proper techniques for excavation, conservation and recording of artifacts. In exchange, Florida was granted the right to any unique artifact and a 20 percent share of the value of the finds.

Thousands of silver coins were discovered, with mint marks from Peru, Mexico and Columbia. No coins were dated after 1659, which is how archeologists determined the date of the sinking. Two 900-pound cannons and a 1,000-pound anchor from the ship are at Jupiter Lighthouse Park.

Leo, who has been a Palm Beach County lifeguard for about 30 years, said he "broke even" with his share from the San Miguel.

He says money isn't the reason he searches for treasure. "But it would be great to find treasure," he said

CORAL COVE PARK NORTH OF JUPITER INLET!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg46676.html#msg46676

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:38:57 am by JimiDPirate »

Offline JimiDPirate
Copper Member

Pirate/Biker
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aque Pulse and Excaliber
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

What happened to all the post on Hunting for the 1715? somehow it got moved back 120 days. I don't understand 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg46779.html#msg46779

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2009, 09:24:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by JimiDPirate
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

What happened to all the post on Hunting for the 1715? somehow it got moved back 120 days. I don't understand 

Don't know what you mean, the whole topic is still up. This site has some glitches for sure though.
Posted on: August 29, 2009, 08:07:21 AM
Today the Jolly-L is back out in front of Jupiter Inlet. They must be finding something, as they have been in this area a few times in the past week or two. Plus, the water has settled down some again and it is clearer than a couple days ago. Now if the hurricanes just leave them alone..
Hey JimiDPirate, you going to get back out in the water too?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg46842.html#msg46842

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:26:37 am by JCPinCt »
Offline JimiDPirate
Copper Member

Pirate/Biker
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aque Pulse and Excaliber
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2009, 08:25:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm not sure what the glitch was but it's gone now!

JC that would be the "Polly-L" she helps out the "SeaHunter" at the Jupiter site from time to time. She also works the 1715.

This morning the seas looked good but vis is down to about 0 still, perhaps by Thursday or this weekend it will clear and there is always a hurricane to screw things up!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg47254.html#msg47254

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Rodney-Jimi.jpg

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2009, 09:34:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by JimiDPirate
I'm not sure what the glitch was but it's gone now!

JC that would be the "Polly-L" she helps out the "SeaHunter" at the Jupiter site from time to time. She also works the 1715.

This morning the seas looked good but vis is down to about 0 still, perhaps by Thursday or this weekend it will clear and there is always a hurricane to screw things up!

Oh boy, I wonder how many times have I called it the Jolly-L instead of Polly-L, old brain has some short term memory lapses at times. But anyway, They are moving it around a bit so I guess they haven't hit a real hot spot yet. Hope the water settles and you get some hunting in. Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg47271.html#msg47271

Offline JimiDPirate
Copper Member

Pirate/Biker
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aque Pulse and Excaliber
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2009, 12:08:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by JCPinCt
Oh boy, I wonder how many times have I called it the Jolly-L instead of Polly-L, old brain has some short term memory lapses at times. But anyway, They are moving it around a bit so I guess they haven't hit a real hot spot yet. Hope the water settles and you get some hunting in. Thanks

I know just what you mean Polly - Dolly - Trolly it all sounds the same to me. I can't speak for any of the other vessels out searching but I was always taught to search a grid and stick to pattern, search it methodically and then move on. Some will blow 20 more or less holes and find nothing to only become discouraged, then wanting to move someplace else. Patience and Perserverance is the name of the game. Goodies are to be found buried deep beneath the sands of time!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg47288.html#msg47288

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2009, 01:10:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is the Polly-L working real close to shore  at Jupiter Inlet. That is the closest I have seen anyone work., but I do think he is just testing that area. Interesting anyway and a nice view of the wreck barge. After it comes up, click on picture to enlarge it.

Please Register or Login

http://evsjupiter.netfirms.com/dig001.jpg
Fight

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg51506.html#msg51506

Print
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
Jump to: