[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands
Referrals: 0

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2009, 08:01:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Jupiter wreck is not in the inlet . I had an argument with the guy that is diving the Jupiter wreck ( forgot his name ) . I pointed out a few things to him and he got very mad at me . He is one of the guys that liked to see me banned from the TN . The wreck is in deeper water and I gave a good argument for that but he did not believe me . So he is on his own now .  Cornelius

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35509.html#msg35509

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2009, 08:16:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

No one knows where it is for sure, or it would have been found by now. I wonder if it might be out on the outer reef to the southeast where the guys often fish, it would be pretty scattered if it was. If it was in the inlet, the inlet has changed thru all the years and it would not be accessable any more, long since buried. Interesting anyway that no one has found it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35511.html#msg35511

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2009, 08:43:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Your suggestion that the wreck is to the South East is in my opinion correct . The coins were washed up on the beach , or at least in the direction of the beach .  You do not find cannon on the beach , suggesting that the lighter coins are on the end of the trail and that the ship was wrecked  more sea - ward .  I would search the area to the SE of the inlet . The wind must have come from that direction . That most of the coins were found South of the inlet makes this argument only stronger . The guy that is diving at the inlet suggested that the wreck was to the North East . That is impossible because than the coins had to cross the current from the inlet . That is impossible in my book . Let me know what you think about my thesis .   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35512.html#msg35512

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:50:24 am by Cornelius »
Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2009, 10:50:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good to see you fixed the direction on your post. I figure if the ship was sunk in a hurricane, it would have come from the south or SE. If it was sunk in a Noreaster (which could happen), it could be in the NE area and some of the debri could make it across the inlet as it was back then. I just doubt a Noreaster sunk it. As for where he is now, it is just south of the inlet by about 100 feet at the thin reef line, and he has worked inward toward the beach to the rocks there, and have found items from the wreck. If there is a reef area out in 30 feet or so of water to the SE, than the hull could have pounded apart on that first and spewed a narrow field across the area. But another problem, he only has salvage rights for the Wreck area and this outer area would be off limits to salvage for him. Not that he couldn't explore it, but couldn't keep anything found until he went through the miserable task of getting the lease for the whole area. As it was, the original guy who found this had a major fight with the state for a few years about leasing it, and wasn't allowed to blow holes for a few years later on it. A diffi area to work, as the state keeps putting sand on the beach every 3 years or so, and it washes out over the known wreck area burying everything over and over again. Blowing holes in the sand there gives about 15-20 feet depth, but who knows what is down 30-40 feet, and is there a hard bottom somewhere? Plus the black swamp water that comes out of the inlet makes it bad sometimes.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35528.html#msg35528

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:12:36 am by JCPinCt »
Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2009, 11:11:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Based on my research during many , many years I come to the following conclusion  :As for the hurricane  that wrecked the 1715 fleet we have to count on the track of that hurricane . I found out that the hurricane overtook the fleet . If that hurricane would have travelled from South to North   the ships would have come into a wind out of the East first and then a wind out of the South or out of the North , depending which side the fleet was on . They could have escaped wrecking in this case .  Because the wrecking of the fleet on the coast of Florida  the wind had to come from the East first followed by a wind from the South East . This tells us that the hurricane was overtaking the fleet while travelling from East to West . So from the Bahama's  west to Florida .   This South East wind was the reason that the whole fleet was wrecked on the coast from Canaveral to St Augustin ( or even further North ) . The south East wind wrecked the ship in front of the Jupiter inlet . The main wreck should therefor  be to the South East of the inlet . Ground seas may have wrecked the ship quite far from the inlet . Cannons should be found there . The lighter coins did eventually wash up on the coast , or close to it .  A search with a magnetometer  or a PI metal detector ( with a very large coil ) would detect these cannon and anchors . A side scan would not work because the wreck does not exist anymore . The cannon may be under the sand by now . Look for a reef or a high spot on the floor of the ocean . Look on the land side of the reef . Happy hunting .   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35531.html#msg35531

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2009, 02:55:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is an article I wrote on the Treasure Net titeled  ,, the Wind the Wind ,,   . Since I am no longer welcome at the Treasure Net  , maybe one of the members Robert Gecy can help you on a copy of it . It will explain most of the thigs around the 1715 wrecks .  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35544.html#msg35544

Offline aquanutTopic starter
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry to say Cornelius,
but it appears that your posts were deleted from Tnet. If you remember, I agreed with your position about the wind.
Most wrecks salvaged along the east coast of Florida followed a "Banana pattern" from the Southeast to the northwest. My theory on the Jupiter Wreck puts the main wreck to the Southeast at approximately 1200 to 1600 yards.
We'll see if it proves out.
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35556.html#msg35556

Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250 currently --but used many many others
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2009, 10:33:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

cornelius ( VIA INFO GATHERED FROM THE OCT 24TH , 1715 "SPOTSWOOD" LETTER)-- the vessel in nassau sound , florida was not a "original fleet" 1715 vessel but rather a  60 foot  or so single masted "barcalonga" type  recovery vessel that was sent to the 1715 fleet wreck site to recover VIP'S and high value royal and other items for immedate shipment forward to spain (in this matter this vessel was differant than the others sent there -- the king want his stuff for the queen NOW!!!)-- the rest of the recovery and salvage vessels were instructed to return the silver and other lesser treasure items  to havana for security reasons and for "reshipment"  upon other vessels back to spain after being "properly" accounted for - ( royal havana officals had to account to the king later on why there was more gold and silver recovered from the wrecked vessels --than was listed on the manifest * ---after a shipwreck you should have less gold / silver than what was listed on the manifest not more -- thus clearly this was "proof" of massive and rampant smuggling and the "appointed" royal anti smuggling folks had to explain how they did such a shoddy job --  some folks were in very deep trouble behind these facts. ---   Club

thus IN MY VIEW  the st augustine area is the northern most area of lost vessels * since --the words " "wreckage of a large vessel or vessels was found on the coast NORTH of st augustine" if properly translated and not just "word swapped "spanish for english -- "wreckage of a large vessel or vessels was found on the NORTH coast of st augustine."

just as in spanish *--one says--" la casa rojo" --the house red -- or the "thing": and what about it  ---In english its "the red house" -- what about it , then the thing --- if one was  tired or unfamilar with "translating" spanish properly  --and  was just doing straight word swaps with out taking this into account how the langauge is spoken differantly than english --- one would get  from salmons statement  "wreckage of the COAST NORTH of st augustine" thus making one think a good bit north of st augustine  ---but if it was  "properly" translated --it becomes " wreckage on the NORTH COAST of st augustine" --thus close to st augustine*  Wink A SMALL BUT HIGHLY IMPORTANT DIFFERANCE*

THUS FOLKS READING THIS  CLUE THOUGHT the  salmon "clue" ---"on the coast north of st augustine"meant  the nassau sound wreck ****  -- (because folks in the past have found 1715 type items  there in nassau sound*** ) thus they in error "linked" the two ---thus thinking nassau sound harbored a "original 1715 fleet" wreck site --when it was really a recovery vessel that however was still loaded very high value items and vips and their  goods that had been gathered from the southern 1715 fleet wreck sites and was on its way back to spain.

the spotswood ( english governor of virgina) letter of oct 24th , 1715 to the british home sec stanhope  in a PS at the bottom of the letter tells --just what type of vessel it was (barcalonga)--where it came from (havana) --where it went to (the 1715 fleet site) --what it was doing (recovering vips and treasure) --and that it sank about 40 miles northward of st augustine . ---all the details of the vessel  in nassau sound is there neatly "wrapped up"-- of course with it being a 1715 fleet recovery vessel--- of course it had the exact same type of items as those recovered from the "original" vessels of the 1715 fleet * to the south which accounts for those 1715 items being found in nassau sound  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35589.html#msg35589

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:17:18 pm by ivan salis »
Offline ivan salis
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250 currently --but used many many others
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

oh and I too agree with the wind direction -- but I think the northermost limit was st augustine as far as "original" 1715  fleet vessel wrecks go.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg35591.html#msg35591

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands