[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline shortribsTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:04:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been a cache hunter since I started detecting back in april of 1970. I have dug up some small caches and have witnessed ghosts at certain cites i've been at was wondering if this is a common thing especially out west in western states with a lot of indian and spanish sites their? Guess they won't hurt you but makes me feel uneasy as don't know if site is posessed or booby trapped? shortribs

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101168.html#msg101168

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:09:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by shortribs
I have been a cache hunter since I started detecting back in april of 1970. I have dug up some small caches and have witnessed ghosts at certain cites i've been at was wondering if this is a common thing especially out west in western states with a lot of indian and spanish sites their? Guess they won't hurt you but makes me feel uneasy as don't know if site is posessed or booby trapped? shortribs

I always carry large plastic bags and a battery operated "Seal-A-Meal" bag sealer with me just for them. After I capture and bag them, I take them to a cave deep inside a mountain where I have a big pile gathered now. Somebody with a needle could do some real damage! This is why I don't put markers out there to show anyone else where it is. I also avoid making ghost maps for that very same reason.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101177.html#msg101177

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:15:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I always carry large plastic bags and a battery operated "Seal-A-Meal" bag sealer with me just for them. After I capture and bag them, I take them to a cave deep inside a mountain where I have a big pile gathered now. Somebody with a needle could do some real damage! This is why I don't put markers out there to show anyone else where it is. I also avoid making ghost maps for that very same reason.

And another treasure legend is started

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101181.html#msg101181

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:24:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK, Seldom! If you're so smart, where would YOU put them?

It's quite hard to sneak up behind them and get them into the bag you know. Then you have to hold it closed while you seal it. And they bite!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101186.html#msg101186

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:06:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In a well nobody will look there unless you leave signs like you did in the Philippines

And don't sneak up on them just tell them to get in the bag said it in a forceful voice so they know who is in charge.

Most good sporting goods stores have an anti- ghost spray that I find helpful keeping them from biting but just in case pick up a 5mm val of GB serum  at the drug store

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101190.html#msg101190

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:58:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

We'd better knock it off now or Shortribs may never come back by again. I'm going to go and let out all my captive ghosts now. Back in a few.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101212.html#msg101212

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 10:15:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Shortribs we just having a little fun don't mean nothing.

But to answer you question, there are lots of story's of ghost guarding treasure  in South Texas. I have never been involved in a recovery where ghost were seen or reported so have no first hand information. But I don't believe in ghost  so that may have something to do with why. So far anything out of the ordinary that I have run into I have been able to explain with science or common senses. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101267.html#msg101267

Offline shortribsTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:41:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Whew you guys were putting it on, Thought ya might be spreading it a little thick,  I live in SW missouri and have been to places that I have seen ghost but they say they won't hurt ya just you will hurt yourself getting out of the way. Didn't know if that has happened to anyone out west,as the spaniards hoaxed some of their sites.  Thanks (shortribs)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101291.html#msg101291

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:04:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Angry Dam I missed out on this one  Toooooo baaaad  Grin

Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101293.html#msg101293

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 03:39:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I found this while looking for another story thought it kind of fit'

Jean Lafitte: Gentleman Pirate

Periodically, and with a certain degree of regularity, groups of men with big money behind them find their way to Galveston Texas and the surrounding areas carrying with them secret maps and specialized equipment for the sole purpose of finding buried treasure.  The treasure they are looking for is that which once belonged to the legendary real-life pirate Captain Jean LaFitte.  For almost 5 years, from 1817 to 1821, Captain Jean LaFitte and his band of pirates made their headquarters on Galveston Island, conducting raids all across the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean seizing treasure wherever they went.  Leaving in a hurry and at the insistence of the U.S. Navy, legend has it that most of the looted treasure he has taken over his career was left behind somewhere in Galveston.

The sheer number of legends surrounding the life and death of Jean Lafitte can be compared to those about King Arthur and Robin Hood.  Lafitte is rumored to have buried treasure at many locations, including Galveston and the long, lonely coasts of southern Louisiana, such as Contraband Bayou in Lake Charles.  Around 1820 LaFitte married Madeline Rigaud, the widow of a French settler, but she herself died in 1820.  It was rumored that she was buried beneath his House with a great quantity of gold, and well into the 20th Century the site of the house was excavated time and time again by treasure seekers over the years.

In May 1821, after an attack on an American ship by one of his agents, Lafitte was forced to abandon his operations in Galveston.  Before leaving, he hosted a huge party for his pirates with wine and whiskey and afterward burned his settlement.  It is believed that he had buried treasure on the Island which he had not the time to reclaim.  If so, all this gold is still buried.  None of it has ever been reported to be found.  Certainly, shifting sands and vanishing islands in Galveston and West Bays have hidden a great deal of it forever.  But somewhere, perhaps beneath a highway, or under a fire station, in somebody's backyard, or perhaps only inches beneath the salt grass, untold riches wait patiently to be uncovered.

Workers on oil platforms that sit in the Gulf of Mexico claim to regularly see a billow of sails on the horizon just before sunset, always heading east into the gloom. Crews of offshore supply vessels claim that in the middle watch they have heard the flapping of sail riggings and the cry of phantom voices, calling out in the Creole patois once spoken in Barataria commands to a ghostly crew. Small boats, it is said, have been almost swamped by the passage of the ghostly fleet that is said to produce visible white foam where the bows break
the waves and make a tremendous wake in the dark waters.

The ghostly floatilla and an apparition believed to be that of Captain Jean Lafitte himself was spotted just before the disastrous Hurricane Katrina.  Many have come to believe that seeing Lafitte or his ships is a warning that something evil is about to befall his beloved Louisiana coast.  So far, nothing supernatural has been reported in connection with the recent BP oil rig explosion, but eleven men are dead because of it, and what could they have told us if they had not been killed in the accident?   To this day legends persist throughout south Louisiana and Texas.  In these legends it is believed that Lafitte is coming back for his treasure.  Perhaps one day he will.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15766.msg101505.html#msg101505

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Up
Jump to: