[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline warrenmonty71
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

660.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a Ace 250 and have used it for over a year. The machine is a coin magnet! If you detect in wet soil it will give alot of false readings at the $1 silver notch. You have to run it at 2-3 bars and avoid contact with the ground. I found 32 coins today after a hard rain yesterday. All in all it is a great machine and for the price you can't beat it. The 9x12 Proformance coil makes it even better and gets great depth. HH to all. Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg155416.html#msg155416

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2011, 08:46:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

To all, I thank everything has been said about the ACE 250 but I did my own tests on St Petersburg beach in Fl.. The target was a US penny. 2-3" on dry salty sand, 1-2" on saturated sand, probably 1 inch in salt water. In 3 trips I found a half dozen clad pennies in the water.  I found these by scrubbing the coil over the bottom. I operated with the gain one notch below default which prevented most of the falseing. How this compares to salt water machines I have no Idea. That being said, from the weight of the jewelry some of the club members bring in the ace 250 will work quite well to find the heavy pieces if they havn't sunk down.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg155421.html#msg155421

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2011, 10:34:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

these machines, the Ace 250 work very well on the beaches here in the USA from many reports. No they may not give the same results as a dedicated beach & surf machine, but for the determined user, they can & do produce some very good results.

(Naturally, Results may vary depending on geographic location & beach conditions)

Just my 2 cents and not trying to disagree with anybody, but I think from what I've read on them, that they work well from the post's and the reports. I have enough good intel to go out & order one today, and feel good about the machines purchase...
Jim

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Go here:

Please Register or Login

http://garrett.com/hobby/hbby_ace_250_key.htm

It clearly states that the Ace250 auto adjusts for ground balance. I also have checked with my friend, the Perth beach hunter, and he agrees. So does the local shop owner. Look, it is not a big deal either way but I hate to see someone slam a superior machine without having a clue as to what they are talking about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg161676.html#msg161676

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:50:09 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline MetalMaster
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

655.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2011, 02:41:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have used my ace 250 on salty beaches in wet sand in Florida. I have found coins and jewelry.
I turned sensitivity down to 3 Hunted in jewelry mode. Slowed down my swing speed and do not bump the sand. Did I miss other targets, probably. But you know that is what I could afford to buy.

The question I read at the beginning of this post was could it be done/soils?.

Not is it the best machine for the job?
Not is there a better machine or higher priced or different kind of machine?
Who knows maybe that is all someone else can afford? They want to play also.
Hmmm....
 We all have a desire to Metal Detect but with dignity and honor towards others. The original post was soon forgotten. The person was asking can I make this work? Not how much or how well compared to other machines but is it possible.

Hand anyone else your metal detector and tell them to test it.Will they do as well as you that have many hours getting to know that machine. No.
The ACE 250 is no different.

So the question posed was can it be done. Answer is yes with some tweaks, but not very well when compared to other machines.
Depth is lost some pieces missed and some are not seen.

Plus its great on regular soil. The second part of the original question.

It has it limits and has its tweaks that push the envelope with some problems.
It is not a water proof unit so being near the surf can be a concern that might help you to decide.
Price whats little to some is high to others. Maybe $200 is what is affordable for your hobby. It was for me. May not make a difference to others.

What I did get out of this was how far off course this went from the actual question.

Walking in some one Else's shoes without knowing what they could afford. Saying you need this without asking could you spend this much. Are helping with how do I get by with this one. Know any tweaks are suggestions. Not saying it cannot be done.

Because it has, just maybe not as well as your machine.

But that never was the original question can it be done was the question?

How can Metal detecting hobbyists expect respect from others who do not do this hobby. If we fight amongest are selves. I came to this sight with a desire to learn and treat others with respect. Plus learn some tricks and techniques for what I could afford. This thread of a topic has tarnished this prospect for me and I wonder if not also other new members.

The respect for the question asked, and the person asking it should come first.

Garretts web site has a chart (see attached) that shows Highly recommended and recommended uses for their detectors. maybe this will help you make your decision.

But I pushed the envelope on my ace 250 and got to play in the wet sand a little like the big boys. That was what I wanted and could afford at the time for this hobby. I never read any where at Garretts site are calling and talking to them that this was not possible , just not recommended.

Hope this helps. Welcome

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg179809.html#msg179809

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Garrett Detectors pick.jpg

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:51:47 pm by MetalMaster »
Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think it's a very capable machine and can hunt in any soil or condition as you mentioned with tweaking or setting it up for said conditions, and with the users determination to prevail, can make good finds in those various venues of use.

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by MetalMaster
I have used my ace 250 on salty beaches in wet sand in Florida. I have found coins and jewelry.
I turned sensitivity down to 3 Hunted in jewelry mode. Slowed down my swing speed and do not bump the sand. Did I miss other targets, probably. But you know that is what I could afford to buy.

The question I read at the beginning of this post was could it be done/soils?.

Not is it the best machine for the job?
Not is there a better machine or higher priced or different kind of machine?
Who knows maybe that is all someone else can afford? They want to play also.
Hmmm....
 We all have a desire to Metal Detect but with dignity and honor towards others. The original post was soon forgotten. The person was asking can I make this work? Not how much or how well compared to other machines but is it possible.

Hand anyone else your metal detector and tell them to test it.Will they do as well as you that have many hours getting to know that machine. No.
The ACE 250 is no different.

So the question posed was can it be done. Answer is yes with some tweaks, but not very well when compared to other machines.
Depth is lost some pieces missed and some are not seen.

Plus its great on regular soil. The second part of the original question.

It has it limits and has its tweaks that push the envelope with some problems.
It is not a water proof unit so being near the surf can be a concern that might help you to decide.
Price whats little to some is high to others. Maybe $200 is what is affordable for your hobby. It was for me. May not make a difference to others.

What I did get out of this was how far off course this went from the actual question.

Walking in some one Else's shoes without knowing what they could afford. Saying you need this without asking could you spend this much. Are helping with how do I get by with this one. Know any tweaks are suggestions. Not saying it cannot be done.

Because it has, just maybe not as well as your machine.

But that never was the original question can it be done was the question?

How can Metal detecting hobbyists expect respect from others who do not do this hobby. If we fight amongest are selves. I came to this sight with a desire to learn and treat others with respect. Plus learn some tricks and techniques for what I could afford. This thread of a topic has tarnished this prospect for me and I wonder if not also other new members.

The respect for the question asked, and the person asking it should come first.

Garretts web site has a chart (see attached) that shows Highly recommended and recommended uses for their detectors. maybe this will help you make your decision.

But I pushed the envelope on my ace 250 and got to play in the wet sand a little like the big boys. That was what I wanted and could afford at the time for this hobby. I never read any where at Garretts site are calling and talking to them that this was not possible , just not recommended.

Hope this helps. Welcome

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg179918.html#msg179918

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline Gary Zenz
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, cen-tech pinpointer
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2011, 01:16:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting by Garyz
  I bought the ACE 250 in FEB. I have read a lot of forums on the ace and salty water.
 I tried the ace on wet sand and with the sen set on 2-3 it will pick up targets. But u
 are still going to get some ghosts hits . Ignore and go on. As i have read before there
 are plenty of great finds also in the dry sand. My best so far was a solid silver bracelet
 a 925 hit.The Ace will work in wet but it wont win any prizes. It is a great machine for
  the buck u spent for it.

ACE250 and Cen-tech PP

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg180688.html#msg180688

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:58:43 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the testimonial, Garyz.   (and looking forward to your intro on the New Users Introducton page  Smiley  )    Always like to hear folks telling us how well the 'introductory' machines REALLY do on the 'difficult' situations.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg180691.html#msg180691

Offline scaupus
Copper Member

Slow Down, you're moving too fast
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Eagle Spectrum,
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2011, 02:30:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Ace 250 certainly can be used in saltwater. See this video:

Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAmrl6uSCdI#noexternalembed

However, surf makes it false badly, reducing its usefulness on ocean beaches. I know that notching out the nickel solves those false readings, and, alternatively turning down the sensitivity can help. Of course, not being able to discern nickel readings is a pretty big demerit if you are looking for gold. But, even with the nickel notched out, you can still see the nickel reading, and possibly could still dig on a repeatable nickel response despite the falsing. I haven't really tried it enough to say if that's practical.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg196914.html#msg196914

2012 totals (8/2/12)/ gold rings-4; Sterling jewelry-15; wheaties-48; IH-2; war nickel-1; Barber quarter-1; Franklin half-1;Mercury dime-3; .90 rosies-2; Biker ring $215; .90 Wash. quarters-2; vnickel-1;

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2011, 06:04:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ive heard & seen very good regard for the Ace series & Ace250 at the beaches, especially on the east coast.
I guess it all depends on the set-up and settings, one can tweak the Ace250 to really be a very good beach machine even in the wet sand. I agree with everyones thoughts in one way or another on the Ace250, but there is always the other side of cause & effect to consider in its use and performance, and with a good google or bing search you will find many great reviews of this machine at the various beaches of and around the USA, and elsewhere worldwide.
You tube has some very helpful reviews of just how good this machine can be at the beaches here in the USA especially on the east coast from NJ down to Va beach to NC to Florida. There's guys who use them alot out in Calf. have good things to say about them too.

Its like anything else, you'll find good reports and some not so good, but if you read them and see whats being said between the lines, one can & will see that the ACE 250 is a decent detector not withstanding some that come through with a few issues which really cant be used to report a machines ability to perform in one setting or the other.
Take a good BN machine and give it a good workout in various venues, and then make a choice along with reading all you can about it before hand.

The Ace250 has a good 80 to 20 percent ratio of satisfied users, the 20% of less than exceptional reviews or reports are mainly due to some of the Early machines that had a few build issues that caused the users problems. The issues usually in any items be it a detector or automobile are usually noted and debugged in time, so that's no real reason to write off any item especially when there are very positive words from afar on this series IMO.

Just a few personal thoughts, and I regard everyones thoughts with an open and thankful mind.

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:Posted by ivan salis
living in florida -- one has to reduce the sensativty levels a bit in the wet sand areas of the beach due to minerals in the salt water ringing up as metal --- the ace 250 is really quite  sensitive --- running at full blast senstivity setting can cause falsing often in "normal" plain soil  -- normally running 4-5 is about all one needs to run to get max depth on "normal" land ---at a salt water beach dry sand and wet sand are way differant ---3 or even 2 bars at times is all you can run and stay stable in wet sand or water---in very shallow (at waters edge) salt water it can be a bit spotty at time --so just keep the sen level down --dry sand - normally you can run 4-5 bars in most cases.

around power lines and such and in high mineral or other trouble areas --often dropping the sen level a bit  will smooth out a otherwize "freaked out" machine --and make it usible.

in very bad iron soil --notching out iron can assist too.
Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg196923.html#msg196923

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2011, 07:01:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This topic just won't go away. I suspect that is because some people have had good experience with the 250. Others have not. I have both a Ace 150 and 250. they perform about the same in fresh and salt water. I also have a Fisher F75 which just goes nuts around salt water.  I live in Florida and have given the 250 a pretty thorough test on the gulf coast beaches. If you want to know how well the 250 performs, bury a penny in saturated sand and try to find it. If it is buried more than 2 inches you won't. Which is not to say you can't find stuff with it. I dropped my keys in a foot of water where the waves were crashing. They went out of sight with the first wave. Luckily the ACE found them. I've also found coins but no jewelry in salt water. I scrub the bottom with the coil, something you can't do on wet sand, and that seems to work out the best. I've never used a salt water machine so I have nothing to compare it to but comparing the ACE's performance in salt water to it's performance on dry land I would say this. A penny at 4 inches on land=a penny at 2 inches in salty saturated sand , gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4268.msg197089.html#msg197089

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Jump to: