[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2012, 09:19:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by fenixdigger
I have run a lot of types all over this country, and never had better results than the Excalibur, Sovereign, and E-Trac. The only draw back is that you WILL learn to dig like a badger. The worst soil I hit was in Georgia, both in the mountains and the beach. I wanted to throw a fisher in a creek. Guess I got spoiled. Pick up a used unit.

Here in CT, there is a resurgence in the population of a weasel cousin known as the fisher cat. When you wrote that you wanted to throw one in a creek, I saw an image of you all sliced up by this nasty little creature.

Regarding your Minelab successes, I agree absolutely that they are far better choices than a Long Range Locator will ever be. Keep on having fun and finding treasure.

What most folks don't realize is that wealth in this treasure hunting hobby is only very rarely done in one find. Normally, we accumulate small amounts of gold, silver and coinage each time we to out. Over time, this accumulates into buckets or boxes full of each item. That then becomes our personal treasure.

Only one time have I ever discovered a large, previously unknown treasure and that was by accident. I discovered the ancient town site of a place from my childhood - previously unknown even to the local historical society. I found some really old foundations from around 1621. I know this because the date was stamped on some silver ingots I uncovered. I probably got them all but one never knows. I gave the exact location of this site right here a couple of years ago in the hopes that someone would look it over with fresh eyes. There's still a large brass cannon out there covered with moss. Although, that may have been recovered since I've told more than a few folks about that one. I later found land grant documents from the 1500s granting the land to local residents of the area thus adding provenance to my find.

I've found large caches too but these were not unknown to me. I found the general area and used my TH knowledge to sniff out likely places and located them. No LRL would ever have helped to find those.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg237987.html#msg237987

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2012, 06:45:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

fenix and GD I totally agree. I will never give up the F75. I just love all the post I see about the Soviern GT by minelab. I let one slip past me, it was $700.00 dollars. I need more info yet. I dont mind deep, where I detect not many have been. The F75 is great for trashy areas most days, but a split hair tuning it. Im looking for small caches buried 5 feet or less. I need something that can go through solid rock at times. Is the Soviern GT up to it?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238009.html#msg238009

Offline fenixdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Anderson rod, Aurora Aqua, E-scope, Examiner, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I put a double D Butterfly coil on mine. We buried cans at 3, 4, and 5 ft. It hit all of them. Of course alum. cans really pick up. The coil is not the best choice for trashy areas unless you have a lot of time. Hard to beat the E-Trac in trash. Right now you should be able to get a Sovereign for under 500.
And I do use a LRL to get close. Of course since they really don't work, I'm just a good guesser, so I need a good detector.

The Sovereign works so well, we have sold the TM 808 and rarely use the Gemini III anymore. In most areas where we hunt, any signal at 6 to 8 ft. has turned out to be micro. I have not seen any cache deeper than 4 ft to the top of it. The depth seems to be determined by the intent of returning to use it, or the need to bury it and escape.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238032.html#msg238032

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2012, 09:57:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats good info, wont need the 2 box if its that good. Ill keep reading.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238034.html#msg238034

Offline fenixdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Anderson rod, Aurora Aqua, E-scope, Examiner, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My best advice would be to find a detector club close to you and see if you can hook up and try some different units. Just because I love the Minelabs, you may not. Some people are Whites, Fisher, or Tesoro fans. The only other unit I really like is my Tesoro sand shark. My Excalibur out preforms it, but it fits on the dredge and works well enough to get by.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238040.html#msg238040

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2012, 03:49:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some people are Whites, Fisher, or Tesoro fans.

Yes, I am.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238065.html#msg238065

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2012, 04:24:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My fisher has days I think its broke, like today. I found 2 pennys. Says its 5 inches deep, it was just under the surface. I like the VDI, but dont need it, I go by sound anyway. The fisher has so many tones and a threshold to choose from. The Delta Pulse is the best so far. The discrim is nice on the F75, but I prefer All Metal full power when I can. You wont do that in town. The manufacture claims sensitive to hunt gold.......Im still trying to figure that out lol. I am seeing some bad reviews on the CTX 3030. So the CTX 3030 is definately out. It will be June before I get serious about it anyway. I have never seen one bad word on the Sov GT. Thanks for the input. I hope the LRL guys that are new keep a good VLF or PI detector around too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238069.html#msg238069

Offline fenixdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is the kind of difference. I went to an old park area in Bay St. Louis Ms. I got out and started the Sovereign up. Started getting hits from 6 in down. In about an hour, I had a pocket full of wheaties, mercs, standing libs, and washington silver quarters. A guy stopped and came over to me and told me I was wasting my time because the local M.D. club used the place for staged hunts and had likely cleaned it out. I didn't have the heart to say anything, but that ended up one of my best days. I did have to dig almost 2 ft. for a dang pewter button.

Same thing happened up in the delta at an old school ground. I had stopped by a local shop that sold detectors and showed them all the dimes I found and they couldn't believe it. Almost got mercury poisoning.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238075.html#msg238075

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2012, 08:30:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is the kind of difference.

In the future you should start a brand new topic with this kind of post. It doesn't belong in a discussion about LRLs. It's a great post, mind you, just better off on its own.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238076.html#msg238076

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline fenixdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2012, 11:02:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are right. On the flip side, I am leaving out the parts about the LRLs that I used to even determine to check these places. They were good to show targets were there, but due to the number of targets, any pinpointing was out. But in the end, the minelab was the judge.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,545.msg238081.html#msg238081

Print
Pages:  1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Jump to: