[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Yep, but Science proved it could work and they made it work.

But the science of the time couldn't/didn't, which is my point.  Knowledge--including scientific knowledge, evolves (and sometimes also devolves or gets misplaced or misinterpreted).   Judging the future from the perspective of the present is very tricky business.   Heck even judging the past from the perspective of the present can get you into all sorts of errors.

Just because there are no working LRLs (at least that you or I or Seldom or AU know of) doesn't mean there never will be.   At the same time, IF one is ever developed, chances are it will function on an entirely different set of principles than the ones currently being claimed by those trying to develop them.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184626.html#msg184626

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

True.   But I'll spend my money on something that works now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184627.html#msg184627

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
But the science of the time couldn't/didn't, which is my point.  Knowledge--including scientific knowledge, evolves (and sometimes also devolves or gets misplaced or misinterpreted).   Judging the future from the perspective of the present is very tricky business.   Heck even judging the past from the perspective of the present can get you into all sorts of errors.

Just because there are no working LRLs (at least that you or I or Seldom or AU know of) doesn't mean there never will be.   At the same time, IF one is ever developed, chances are it will function on an entirely different set of principles than the ones currently being claimed by those trying to develop them.

Even moving up from my great-grandfather's time to the first half of the 20th century, one can look at how Nikolai Tesla's theories and reputation changed from "genius" to "crack-pot" to "might be onto something after all" to "genius" again as the principles that he was trying to tap into became more widely and thoroughly understood.   Much of what he advocated that is now being actively considered and explored with modern technology was rejected by the mainstream for decades as flat-out impossible (the best he got for many years was a grudging "might theoretically be possible, but would be so expensive and impractical as to render it impossible"....and this during an age that prided itself on achieving the "impossible").

There's a lot about our world and our universe that we DON'T know (and a some of what we think we know is probably wrong, just like we've been wrong before).

BA

"True.   But I'll spend my money on something that works now."..........100% with you there (especially since I don't have the money to squander....on the other hand, IF I had a few extra millions laying around  :Smiley.....)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184628.html#msg184628

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 12:53:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
chances are it will function on an entirely different set of principles than the ones currently being claimed by those trying to develop them.

Well we have seen this happen with TR/VLF and to get real power we got the Pulse Induction
although we did loose some discrimination and now within the PI systems we have now got
some of that back,
So hopefully LRLs will turn corners and make an impact.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184630.html#msg184630

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 02:02:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Let me see if I can relay these ideals without totally screwing them up.

Metal detector development is a fundamental science that over time has developed into what we have today. Electric engineers have taken baby steps of the last 50 years to give us the machines we us today.

LRL's are based on dowsing which is based on pseudoscience and the metaphysical world. We know that many governments including the US did research into the  metaphysical world back in the cold war days. You know bending forks with the third eye etc. This is to show that the US is not beyond researching the unknown.

Now we know that the US was/is very interested in the H3tec and other LRL for bomb detecting which tells me that they did lots of research into them finding them useless at this time. But their interest being peaked I am willing to bet that the US is researching LRL are something in that realm at this very moment. When and if they came up with a working machine like the mine detectors of WWII the private sector will jump in and make a design for us.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184639.html#msg184639

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 02:11:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Best long range detector I've seen were those folks who spend hours/days/weeks/months/years in libraries studying maps and cargo manifests.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184641.html#msg184641

Offline ram
Silver Member

Thank you148

Activity
0%

Portugal

5270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

is there any better research laboratory for lrl's than u.s.? the whole world is having a research in lrl's and dowsing even the poor country but all yields nothing. so, why there's existing stories that lrl's works? is there any govt and officially supported claims that lrl's works?

ram,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184651.html#msg184651

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 04:36:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ram
so, why there's existing stories that lrl's works? is there any govt and officially supported claims that lrl's works?

No not to my knowledge and I don't think we will see any claims by the government till they have a working prototype. All the claims that we see and read about come from the conman dressed up like treasure hunters.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184662.html#msg184662

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2011, 10:51:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, I basically agree with all that you wrote in reply #44, except for "LRL's are based on dowsing which is based on pseudoscience and the metaphysical world.".   I have two points of contention with that statement (and please keep in mind that I am NOT an advocate for LRLs (at least not as they currently exist):

1)  As far as I know only we skeptics and nay-sayers contend that LRL's are based on dowsing.   Ok.....that one is fully debatable because there are LRL advocates that do say LRL's are designed to enhance a human's "natural" ability to dowse.   But there's an equally strong cadre of LRL types that, on paper at least, don't want to have anything to do with dowsing or any other "pseudoscientific/metaphyisical" ability/technology.

2)  MOST of the major scientific/engineering technologies that have been developed in the 20th century and early 21st century are the results of lines of experimentation and thought that were considered pseudo-scientific or metaphysical in the 17th, 18th, early 19th, and in some cases early 20th century (back to Tesla and the fruits we are just beginning to reap now because of his "unsupportable" ideas).   Until we fully understand how the mind works a lot of what may turn out to be very real and natural abilities are going to be considered either pseudo-scientific or metaphysical.   And the same thing applies to technologies that are based on physics that we don't fully understand (like those based on quantum theory).

If we think something is really far-fetched and the product of someone's wild imaginations but we at least grasp some of the theoretical principles, we label it "the stuff of science fiction".
    If we think something is really far-fetched and the product of someone's wild imaginations but we recognize that someone is at least "trying" to shoe-horn a scientific explanation into it and at least "supposedly" trying to do some sort of experiments, we label it "pseudo-scientific"....especially when we can point out the flaws (real or imagined) in their "methodology"
    If we think something is completely baseless and has absolutely NO possible scientific explanation, real or imagined, we label it metaphysical.
    All of those judgments are based on OUR (perhaps collectively) understanding/prejudice at the time the judgement is made.   BUT the scientific principles that make cell phone communication around the world possible today existed BEFORE we were even aware of electromagnetism let alone had the technology to do more than shout across the river at one another.    However, until we "discovered" the principles and those principles became "accepted standards of science" any one proposing or trying to develop a system for cell phone communication would have been accused of promoting metaphysics or psuedoscience.

BA......(and know, I don't see myself running out and buying an LRL anytime soon)....but then I never thought I'd have an infra-red thermometer either (and I at least understand the technology for that).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184767.html#msg184767

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Bravo BA, For ticking all the boxes that is some effort there
but most of all totally understandable as it points out how these different things are possible

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23701.msg184784.html#msg184784

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.