[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah,......good plan!  Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107339.html#msg107339

Offline tony69
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 01:46:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In a letter forme mr H to me he said that if I wanted to learn about Kidd, where he went and what he did, then the best book for me at the time was by Wilkins as he had done a lot of research on Kidd (or though he thought Wilkins was bordering on the insane and the fact that Palmer had not let him or anyone see the charts) he still said Wilkins book was best at the time which I did. Now if you cant get this book then I Believe the best modern book is by a gentleman called Yak?s I think I have it but have not read it. If you want a quick guide to the charts then the best book to get is by George Edmonds book, George said to me that after mr f had died (he wrote a book the experts will tell you about that) his sister sent him all mr F?s  research so he could write his book (not another thing for the armchair expert?s tut ) The sheep who?s answers are so stupid and rubbish, like consider your self  warned, and try the library, know nothing that will help us, so we do not need people who talk rubbish and at the same time as they do cause an injustice to Kidd and the damage they cause, to Kidd, his legend,  and  good people like Teach some one who believes he is right and is willing to put money were his mouth is and at least he is trying, whether he is right or wrong only time will tell good luck is what I say. Im still laughing at the Jessop subject,Am I an expert yet.
{alt} Future post insulting member will lead to you being moderated

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107382.html#msg107382
http://www.thunting.com/smf/Themes/default/images/warnwarn.gif

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:51:09 pm by seldom »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 01:55:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

(not another thing for the armchair expert?s tut )
The sheep who?s answers are so stupid and rubbish,
Im still laughing at the Jessop subject,Am I an expert yet.
like consider your self  warned

End Game

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107383.html#msg107383

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 04:13:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

The very best book to read on Kidd is:

"Trial of Captain Kidd"
Wm Hodge 1930, "NOTABLE BRITISH TRIALS"

I've had a copy for years, amongst all the other Kidd books and related stuff.
One read of it, and a gathering of a few salient facts, will soon convince you of what a fairy story the whole "Kidds Treasure" thing is.
You'll pretty soon realise the whole "chart" thing was a crude hoax too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107521.html#msg107521

Offline tony69
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good god, unbelievable as to what I am reading, on a very very serious note and I am talking very honestly  (who is teaching these people what they know), Knowledge is past down from generation to generation first you are a snotty nose apprentice working for a master you then learn as much as you can and a bit more if possible until in time you become a master and have a snotty nose apprentice, That?s how knowledge is pasted down. When I was green on KIDD I asked people, and experts, and read books, I learned as much as I could from people who knew about the charts, It is true I have meet these people and have learned what they had to say and have amassed all there letters and info and over the years, and in time become like some people have done, (Become an expert on the charts) as there are people who want to know were Kidd was like Hardluck. Knowing what I know I find it hard to believe what people are saying the British museum will know the British library will know some one has in the past has told then or the have read books and they believe that they are right which I guess is there right, As luck would have it I live not far from the British library opps the British library head quarters, They are at  weatherby(I think that?s how you spell it ) that is were the main stock of there books are kept a long with a lot of other things a very hard place to get in to with out a pass,. seeing ass I have done a  job there in the past I still had that pass. Guess what ( they don?t know about the charts in any way, I did that just for Paul  A seeing as I have lots of time .all I can say is learn what is right so people who don?t know will learn, god bless and good luck to you all   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107526.html#msg107526

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2010, 11:21:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good Grief........ Tony it's "Wetherby" and I find it very surprising that as you claim to live there you can't spell it!
Why were you claiming to live somewhere entirely differently in your very first post looking for "backers" for this half - baked scam?
Also, you may like to know, that British Library research material is kept at St Pancras road in London, NOT in "Wetherby".
You have NOT replied to any of the pertinent questions asked of you in this thread, (for instance exactly when and where you met Keith Jessop, and why you got the name of the "Edinburgh" completely wrong).
If you cannot get the simplest of facts right you must be the world's worst researcher.
In fact this whole thing stinks of a poorly researched (via internet "speculations") scam.
Until you answer up...... well......
Tell you what....... post up a photo of your "British Library" works pass....
 Club

Hmmmmm........... Anyone noticed how quiet it's got?  Funny

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107570.html#msg107570

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2010, 12:32:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmmmm........... Anyone noticed how quiet it's got?

Thats good Paul He was starting to make even less sense then when he started.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107587.html#msg107587

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2010, 03:37:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

That was definitely fun while it lasted... a whole six pages of it!  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107672.html#msg107672

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2010, 06:05:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Here is a statement from the head curator of the map Collections of the British Library.

'The legend of Captain Kidd's treasure maps can be traced back to a retired Eastbourne solicitor, Hubert Palmer (d.1950) who had a private museum of Captain Kidd relics and claimed to have acquired a number of trunks once owned by the Captain, in various concealed compartments of which he had discovered charts of the locations where he had deposited his treasure. He claimed to have found certain other items, including a mirror, a Bible and a box at the same time. The claims created a certain amount of press interest.

'According to a letter written by R.A. Skelton, the Head of the Map Room at the British Museum, in 1959 recalling events of 10 years previously (no copy survives of his original letter), one of the maps was brought in for inspection either by Mr Palmer or by his housekeeper. Skelton's language was extremely guarded and he commented only that the chart had been "drawn on the back of a perfectly genuine will of the late 17th century. The chart itself contained little evidence of the precise locality represented, although . . .it appeared to be somewhere in the China Sea. While the chart contained no features which would forbid us to suppose that it was drawn in the early 18th century, it had also nothing to associate it, so far as I could see, with Captain Kidd". The maps themselves, however, are dated 1669 (a period about which nothing is known of Kidd's career) and subsequent research has revealed that the cabinets in which Palmer claimed to have found the charts dated from the mid-eighteenth century and so could have had nothing to do with the Captain.

'Skelton's readiness to commit his views to paper using the extremely cautious and non-committal language characteristic of British Museum curators of his time became accepted by later writers, who may not have seen the actual document and were working on hearsay, as 'proof' that the British Museum had authenticated the maps.

'The story of the charts is further complicated by several factors:

1. At some point maps, approximately modelled on the charts 'discovered' by Hubert Palmer and in an unambiguously mid-twentieth century hand were created and one of them was photographed with a British Museum photographic scale next to it, apparently giving further weight to the belief that this particular map had been 'authenticated' by R.A. Skelton and even that the British Museum (now the British Library) actually possessed the charts.

2. A few years after Palmer's death his set of charts (or possibly the copies in a 20th century hand mentioned above) were sold to a Canadian syndicate and it seems that these are still in Canada and do occasionally surface.

3. Palmer's original charts with the mirror etc. seem still to be in England, perhaps having been inherited by the housekeeper's heirs. The mirror was presented to Prince Philip in 1955 and returned by him in 2001 to the heirs of the person who made the original presentation.

4. Various people, notably Rupert Furneaux (with whom Skelton was in correspondence in the 1960s - the correspondence is preserved with his papers in Canada), have searched for the treasure in various parts of the globe.

'For further details please consult the British Library Map Library where the relevant file is currently kept in Box File 6 in the Reading Room.'

Peter Barber MA, FSA, FRHistS, Head of Map Collections, Map Library, The British Library, 28 May 2008

Now Tony you claimed   the following in reply 27 on July 21 2010:

"On the reverse side of the document was a legal document belonging to Kidd's wife." correct?

Now answer this: Why would  Captain Kidd draw a treasure map dated 1669 on His wife's legal document? William Kidd did not marry Sarah kidd until 1691. How could he draw a treasure map on a legal document of Sara's 22 years before he even met or married her?Huh?

Your not suggesting he waited nearly 30 years to draw a treasure map?

You can see for yourself.

Captain William Kidd, Pirate, 1645-1701

Captain William Kidd married Sarah Oort 16 May 1691 in New York. Sarah was born Sarah Bradley in England circa 1645. She was married four times. Her first husband was William Cox, her second was John Oort, her third Captain Kidd and her fourth and last was Christopher Rouseby.

Sarah married William Cox in 1685, the marriage license bearing date of April 17th of that year. Four years later William Cox drowned in August 1689. John Oort was dead by May 1691 when Sarah married Captain Kidd. In 1701 Captain Kidd was sent to Newgate Prison in England. On 23 May 1701 he was hung for murder. On 4 Nov. 1703 Sarah married Christopher Rouseby. She died in New York City 12 September 1744.

[Source for the following records is New York City Wills, 1665-1707]

Now please tell me How could Kidds Charts be found in Furniture made after his death?

Apprentices are only as good as their masters Tony.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107682.html#msg107682

Offline tony69
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2010, 06:28:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

HARDLUCK I have no moved and I have lots of research which I was going to take to the tip as it?s still boxed up and Steve said why don?t I give it to you lot as it might be of some use, that?s a good idea, I don?t know how it could be done maybe through Christen, but worth a try. I will split it in to 3 for Selama a long with a load of books he can read a letter from a mr Castle in it there is a long list of every book ever written on pirates, Kidd, est, and then he wont try and teach me to suck eggs, the museum cant be wrong, and will be able to tell people this book was wrote in so and sound Paul A some books that will teach him not to say try the British library and to you I will give you all my research letters from Howlett, his BBC broadcast a copy from a news paper that was written about him and the charts lots and lots of info that might be of interest to you if not you can always through them in the bin  Feranux knight (who had Kidd portrait and box) lots. Will Teach find Kidds treasure that a good question, If you ask an expert who has come to an (opinion) that the charts are fake he will say? I have read many books on Kidd and in (my opinion the charts are fake) and he will not find any treasure because of this?. Good question and good answer. If you then ask me an expert who has read many books to, and believes the charts are real, like me. I will answer is NO he will not. Why, well going back to when I did research, I tracked down all the people who had revised Kidd who thought the knew were Kidds treasure was and went to get it, only to fail, as they did. As today?s people will like teach and the person who has a web site will fail, What (did or do they) all have in common I though, are they silly NO are they uneducated NO, then what do they have that I don?t are the charts really fakes where the experts right, if they are real then there is treasure, and it came to light that all had a theory and a posh word for a theory is a guess all had guessed what Kidd did, they didn?t? have facts to go by only a guess and a guess (is or was) not good enough, I had to find facts and not GUESS which I did .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13803.msg107684.html#msg107684

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Up
Jump to: