[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Xavier,
             Many thanks for that info as i will look into it !!, how do you guys know so much about the dollar wreck and living the other side of the world? I've been out with my explorer se on Rhosilli beach today but sod all, wil try Blue Pool one day this week so will let you all know how i get on!
                                  Regards Phil South Wales
 Hello Hardluck,
                       Many thanks for that, i often wonder i there's anything to be found on Cefn Sidan beach considering the amount of wrecks recorded there and only 1 mile from were i live but I've been detecting there for many years and only found modern money and a few gold and silver rings, Its a vast area to search 7 or 8 miles of sandy beach with a vast amount of history, Im going to try and spend more time on the dollar wreck near Diles Lake and Blue Pool corner and will let you all know when i hit the jackpot ha ha.
                                                                                Regards Phil South Wales

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114024.html#msg114024

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 05:47:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Phil

I research stories that will one day develop into documentaries. Once upon a time many years ago I lived in South Wales. I lived for a short time in Porthcawl.  For the last 26 years I have traveled through and some times lived in 42 countries. I did a 10 year stint where I lived out of Suitcase doing odd jobs for multinational companies.

Now I work for no one but myself. I work when it suits me and I march to the beat of my own drum.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114049.html#msg114049

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck,
                 Sounds you've got an interesting life! I will have to take a photo of a coin i found and perhaps a few of you could identify it for me because i got no idea what the hell it is!! i think its French date 1754 so will do that a.s.p, I have a nice photo of one of the shipwrecks on Cefn Sidan beach that,s all i know is that its 17th century European oak,

Please Register or Login

www.phillipharriesphotography.com

Regards Phil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114199.html#msg114199

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 05:41:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Phillip

You take good photos almost as nice as mine  Grin Grin you have a nice web site there if you ever have the chance to go to west Africa you will find it an amazing place for taking photos. Hope to see the photo of your coin soon.

Regards Xavier 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114257.html#msg114257

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 11:37:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Phillip,

Concerning your coin, if this one is French, in 1754 the king was "Louis XV the Beloved".

Take a look on this site Click here ------>

Please Register or Login

Coins of France

Best regards

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114302.html#msg114302

Lucky Luc

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 12:29:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Xavier,
             Thanks for that, always wanted to do some photos in Africa,me and my girlfriend have said were going on safari in two years time so looking forward to it, Anyway what kind of things do you hunt for? i find this site brilliant for sharing peoples stories, talking to Hardtalk what a wealth of knowledge he has, by the way its in the local papers and on the news saying the highest tides for many years is on Thursday  9Th September so will be out with my explorer SE if i get time!! let you all know how many silver dollars i find. Lol

Kind regards Phil
Hi Luc,
          Thank you for that info, had a look at the site but its not there so will have to take a photo and post it on the site but will have a look again, its not British so i don,t know! i suppose some of the boy,s will know straight away!! Im not working this weekend so will post it then.
            Regards Phil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114365.html#msg114365

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

S#@$ don't laugh mate you may just be lucky and find one or two or more for that matter and just think about it you probably wont get another chance to go out there with such a low tide for many years to come so don't miss it not to mention that you only have about one hour before it starts to come up again so go early and follow the tide out. Hope you find lots of them

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114368.html#msg114368

Xavier

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 01:59:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Phil

In regards to the French coin you found on Cefn Sidan beach. It might not have been from a French shipwreck on the sands at all?

The coin could of been dropped along the beach by French deserters of the Last Invasion of Great Britain in 1797. Many fled across Wales in small groups. Most were captured some were never seen again.

The Battle of Fishguard was a military invasion of Great Britain by Revolutionary France during the War of the First Coalition. The brief campaign, which took place between 22 February and 24 February 1797, was the most recent effort by a foreign force that was able to land on Britain, and thus is often referred to as the "last invasion of Britain".

The invasion was the plan of General Lazare Hoche, who had devised a three-pronged attack on Britain in support of Irish Republicans under Wolfe Tone. Two forces would land in Britain as a diversionary effort, while the main body would land in Ireland. However, poor weather and indiscipline halted two of the forces, although the third, aimed at landing in Wales and marching on Bristol, went ahead.

The invasion force consisted of 1,400 troops from the La Legion Noire (The Black Legion) under the command of Irish American Colonel William Tate, 800 of whom were irregulars.

Transported on four French warships under the command of Commodore Jean-Joseph Castagnier, Tate's forces landed at Carregwastad Head near Fishguard on 22 February, after a failed attempt to enter Fishguard harbour itself. However, upon landing, discipline broke down amongst the irregulars, many of whom deserted to loot nearby settlements.

The remaining troops were met by a quickly assembled group of around 500 British reservists, militia and sailors under the command of John Campbell, 1st Baron Cawdor. After brief clashes with the local civilian population and Lord Cawdor's forces on 23 February, Tate was forced into an unconditional surrender by 24 February.

Later, the British captured two of the expedition's vessels, a frigate and a corvette. Despite all this, Castagnier managed to return to France.

The Royal oak Pub which was the head quarters of British resistance still exists today.

So perhaps you have found a coin with an interesting story to tell?

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114497.html#msg114497

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All,
        Spent two day's detecting around Blue Pool at low tide and found 10p coin and 3,000 fishing waits!!! what a waste of time so im sorry i can't flash my Treasure  to you all! so it's back to work Monday again, will try down West Wales in the week at Lauharne Castle mud flats as theres some nice Charles 1st coins coming up there after the English civil war.  Amen
                                                                                                            Regards Phil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114921.html#msg114921

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 01:52:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Phillip

3000 fishing sinkers hey that's money ,pays for your batteries you know over here theres an elderly lady who is there every day at low tide she collects sinkers I was told that she has drums full of them the funny thing is she wont sell them.

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg114977.html#msg114977

Xavier

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: