[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 04:10:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck,
                Yes good bit of History there, I know there's lots of coins coming up on the banks after a hide tide so that's when i thought of a Wreck but thinking about it there was a huge battle like you said and it was a busy place with the sea at the side of the Castle and so importing and exporting by shipping.
                                             Regards Phil

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115622.html#msg115622

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Laugharne Castle At Night.jpg

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 05:18:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Phil

A beautiful photograph you have taken there. When did they remove all the Ivy of the walls of a castle?

Many years ago the castle was covered in green Ivy.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115629.html#msg115629

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 10:09:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck,
                Thanks for that,the only thing is it's the wrong way round!!!, Got more photo's on my web site if you want to view them,some nice ones of Kidwelly Castle and Carreg Cennin,

Please Register or Login

www.phillipharriesphotography.com
I'm still building the site so in a few weeks there be more, I want to Photograph all the castles in Wales but i think id have to live to 150 !!, I know this topic is supposed to be regarding The Silver Dollar Wreck but have you read up on the history of DRYSLWN CASTLE ? suppose you have, that was hell of a battle and only a few miles from here, I think I'm right in saying there was three major battles were the English lost 11,000 men during the battle of Dryslwn Castle and most were Welshmen recruited by Edward 1st on route and later went on to fight the Scottish wars. I think that's correct Huh? or something like that.
                                                                                         Regards Phil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115666.html#msg115666

Kidwelly Castle At Night.jpg

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Phillip

Wales sure is a beautifully country I was there some time back in the 90's I was in Cardiff I sure wish I had a detector back then as I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to go back there.  That castle looks like a great place to hunt but I'm sure that there must be a lot of people that think the same.

Regards Xavier   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115674.html#msg115674

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2010, 12:38:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Phil

Congratulations for your beautiful pictures.

Kind regards

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115696.html#msg115696

Lucky Luc

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Luc and Friends,
                          First many thanks for that Luc, Anyway i was talking to a chap today who said he's been diving down to the Silver Dollar Wreck for the last few year's and is going to bring me charts showing exactly were its located, he said that back in early 1990 he saw quiet a lot of the wreck 20ft below the water on low tide and was in the process of building a cage of some sort to suck up the sand, then he went through a bitter divorsce and everything went pear shaped, he also said about a German U boat near the same location,he and seems to think that finding the coins is impossible as there to deep if there still there!! i don't think he's winding me up??.
                                                                    Regards Phil

Hi Xavier,
              You should make another trip here and take some Silver Dollars home with you lol, i will take a photo of a Roman coin i found over the Gower 3 years ago its nothing special but i love the detail on the coin, see if i can pick the detail up with my close up lens,
                             All the best Phil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115711.html#msg115711

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

HI all, i was thinking about this wreck and the treasure that comes with it. Locating the wreck is key I was thinking"
 Sounds like Phil has a chap with the knowlage. Phil buy this man a few Ales... for his trouble and kind gesture. I say get as much info from this guy as he is willing to give, whisky, rum & ales may help!
 Sand can come and go quite quickly, its interesting as to how it travel's, well i think so ...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115783.html#msg115783

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2010, 04:21:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

In regards to castles when I was living in Wales I tried to see as many as possible. There is many I could show you but I think it will be a little off the original topic. But I could start a post in Abandoned places?

I think the man you met does not really understand that you have to pick the right time of year and tide level for this treasure.

Now in regards to the chap you met who said about the submarine. There was no submarines sunk in Bristol channel in WW2. But in WW1 there a submarine uboat U57 sunk on November 17 1917. If the wreck he found was actually the dollar ship of course.

The Uboat U57 was depth charged by the USS Fanning an American Destroyer at 5132 north by 0521west. It is known that there was 2 dead but the fate of the rest of the crew was unknown. The U57 was commanded by Gustav Amberger and was responsible for the loss of 21 ships, amounting to 30906 tons.

This may give us a bearing if we line up the position of Diles lake and the wreck of the submarine. From this we may work out the impact wreck scatter zone of the dollar ship.

With tidal records and British admiralty charts may help pin point the best location to search. Another thing the sands is shifting and because of off shore sand mining sand levels are falling on the Gower beaches. Pick the right tide and time of year after early spring storms  may reveal the dollar ships treasures.

Here is map from T Haydock. A Book called " The Gower Coast" by George Edmunds may be of use.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115823.html#msg115823

Dollar ship location.jpg

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2010, 04:54:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck you have me jumping up and down over here I wonder what is Phill is going to do. And yes you should start a new thread with all them castles I love to see them.

Regards Xavier   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115832.html#msg115832

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2010, 05:29:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Xavier

The Pentland cave I mentioned earlier about the cave of the red lady, in fact forensics discovered it was bones of a man. It is the oldest bones discovered in the UK.The cave now on the coast once looked out upon a grassy plain. Once upon a time the Bristol channel between England and Wales was a plain with the river running through it. When the sea levels rose the whole plain was flooded and we have the coast line we see today. The deepest part of the channel is in the center where the ancient drowned river ran.

The estuary has one of the highest tidal ranges in the world ? about 15 metres (49 ft) Second only to the Bay of Fundy in Canada. The estuary's funnel shape, its tidal range, and the underlying geology of rock, gravel and sand, produce strong tidal streams and high turbidity, giving the water a notably brown coloration.

Its important to predict the lowest spring tide to do the search otherwise you lose the battle with tide and currents.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg115838.html#msg115838

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: