[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All

Xavier, i would think a river is likely Murk the water also after a good rain!  Ive been diving for over a decade but free diving ,I've tried the scuba only a few times. I should get certified some day. My brother and some friends are highly qualified.
 there are probably free diving and dive sites on the web that would say what the conditions are likely to be like on a day to day type basis. Another factor with this one is probably the water temp. Its not the Bahamas Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg116802.html#msg116802

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2010, 03:24:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well I suppose you know better.

Regards xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg116814.html#msg116814

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2010, 01:15:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Xavier and All,
                        I read in a book a few years ago that anything on the beach after time will slowly sink deeper and deeper until it reaches so called black sand which is about 30 feet deep! i may have this wrong but i think that's what i read? do any of you know anything about this because regarding the Silver Dollar Wreck and if they are that deep especially after a few hundred year's would a rough tide or storm churn that amount of sand up?? Don't mean to sound stupid but I'm just thinking of all sorts because i really want to try and find out as much as possible and want to look at the negative side of things as well as the positive side!! I don't know anything about diving and wish i did and thought a few of you guys would have much more knowledge than myself regarding this black sand theory?
                                                                  Regards Phil Exhausted

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg116920.html#msg116920

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2010, 01:43:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Phil,
Well, I'm no diver but strangely there's a wreck in cornwall - "dollar cove" the area is called.
That one's so far under the sand that no one has ever been succesful in recovering much.
I remember being in cornwall many years ago when the Pendeen lifeboat was lost with 13 lives.
It was one horrendous storm.
The following morning there were 15 - 20 ft boulders on the beach that hadn't been there before!
Power of the sea to shift 30 ft of sand? ..... yeah I would have thought so ..... easy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg116921.html#msg116921

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

While I was in Senegal they build a hotel very close to the sea in order for the hotel to stay where it was build they had to make a break water other wise all the sand would be washed away and eventually the hotel would come down the engineers told them that the smallest boulder that was to be used were to be 20 tons if I recall properly they did not find the boulders or at least not enough so they used some that were slightly smaller in the region of 10 and 15 tons well after the first storm that they had all of the one side of the breaker was washed away I was not there when it happened but I did see photos of it and believe me thats impressive.

Regards Xavier   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg116932.html#msg116932

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline sabie
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter MKII
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2010, 10:58:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Phil

I think you will find that the Marine and Coastguard Agency [Receiver of Wreck]
Is responsible for all wrecks and wreck sites around the British Isles Coastline.

Quote:Posted by {author}
Probably "teaching grandma to suck eggs" but make sure you get all the necessary permissions from the crown estate office.

Quote:Posted by {author}
Paul A sent me some got information and as we all know you have to be careful what and were we detect as we have to stay within the law

Their jurisdiction runs from the high water mark to 12 miles out to sea, and even further if anything is landed in the UK that has been recovered from the sea.

Every item that may be recovered from your site will have to be reported to The Receiver of Wreck I?m afraid that is the Law.

If the wreck site is found, the Marine and Coastguard Agency will take a big interest in it and may even declare it a protected wreck/site. It will be of ?Historical Interest? I think that?s the terminology they use.
Then the Archaeologist?s move in and you won?t get a look in. [Only under licence]

A good example of what happens can be seen on the Stirling Castle wreck site.

The Stirling Castle was sunk in a storm in 1703 on the Goodwin Sands in the English Channel
and was only exposed about ten years ago by the shifting sands. It was well preserved but now it is deteriorating fast.

Like your wreck it was buried in the sand and is now a protected wreck.

Ref:- the 30ft of sand. I find it difficult to imagine it moving, I take it you mean 30ft in depth?

I?ve dived a wreck site for close on fifteen years [seasonal] and the most I have seen the seabed disappear is about 3ft, which was made up of sand and shale, and a few years later it was all thrown back. So after a fifteen year period the seabed is more or less the same.
Also the maximum depth we have had to dig is about 5ft of shale and sand then we hit the bedrock or clay, and no artefact will penetrate the clay.
I think you would be hard pushed to find an area that has 30ft of sand, around the UK coastline anyway.
But I may be totally wrong on that as our site is in the English Channel.

Best of luck in your quest to find sunken treasure, what I can tell you is you will find a legal minefield.

Best of luck
Sabie.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg117089.html#msg117089

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:01:23 am by sabie »

Sir!!... you've lost a lot of blood, but it's OK we've found most of it.

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi sabie,
            Many thanks for that, at least i know were i stand now,yeah i did mean 30ft deep but its what i read in a book? I would rather listen to you as you sound you know what your talking about. I would be gratefull if i need any further assistance regarding The Dollar Wreck if you would help me and i would stay within the law.
                                                       Kind regards Phil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg117103.html#msg117103

Offline sabie
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter MKII
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote from: Phil
Hi sabie,
            Many thanks for that, at least i know were i stand now,yeah i did mean 30ft deep but its what i read in a book? I would rather listen to you as you sound you know what your talking about. I would be gratefull if i need any further assistance regarding The Dollar Wreck if you would help me and i would stay within the law.
                                                       Kind regards Phil

Phil
I have sent you a PM with my email address should the need arise to talk off the forum.
Other than that any Q's regarding finds below the high water mark, I will only be to pleased to help out.

Regards
Sabie.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg117112.html#msg117112

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:05:25 pm by sabie »

Sir!!... you've lost a lot of blood, but it's OK we've found most of it.

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2010, 07:23:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All, I was looking into a wreck site here in New Zealand, thinking if i find the gold it would be all mine and i would be getting rich  Cheesy but we have the same laws with the receiver of the wreck!? So any gold I find should be handed over at the first opportunity and the find reported Huh?
 Phil I think you are correct with the 30 ft of sand story! But I would say it depends on the local conditions
 and area. There are probably some local coastal surveys that have been done in the area of the wreck. How about the chap that had some info on the wreck. Have you had a chance to catch up with him. From his info the wreck was visible so the 30 ft under doesn't apply Smiley The Sand moves in great amounts with the swells, i think its called a slug ( the mass of moving sand ) ? its nearly allways moving on sand bottoms with swell. The power of the ocean is an amazing force   Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg117298.html#msg117298

Offline phillip harries
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab explorer se pro
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2010, 09:02:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi goldenboy and All,
                             Not seen that chap yet, i only see him when he calls for a coffee in the local cafe but normally i see him every three weeks or so, i left a message with one of the girls to remind him and i do know him well, saying that there's a function tonight down here on the beach so i may see him there as he always attends, don't think he will have the charts but may find out more. will let you all know because i find it very interesting, he told one of the girls that there's a very large ship the size of a destroyer between Cefn Sidan and Tenby, and is going to make a dive to it and there's no record of any ship going down in that area of that size!. He's a nice bloke and not a bullshit er so i do believe him.
                     Regards Phil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17509.msg117344.html#msg117344

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: