[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline aquanutTopic starter
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 12:54:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, My partner Brad and I held leases for 1994 thru 1996. We dove her known sites near Sebastion and magged two others, one of which was later found off Sandy Point.
Aquanut

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25475.html#msg25475

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aquanut
Yeah, My partner Brad and I held leases for 1994 thru 1996. We dove her known sites near Sebastion and magged two others, one of which was later found off Sandy Point.
Aquanut

I gather from the lack of activity nowadays, that it just isn't as profitable most the time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25480.html#msg25480

Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 03:37:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The cost of being on the water everyday is high. The finds are few and far between. There is an initial fee to become a contractor. It used to be $1000. I think thats up to $1200 now. You also have to wait until the end of the year for your share, based on a point system (after the state takes their 20% and the Fishers their 50% of what's left). Then you have to convert whatever you are awarded into cash. Once its turned into cash then the IRS gets their share (if you made a profit). Easier said than done!
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25492.html#msg25492

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 03:48:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wyatt,
I'm not sure Brad ever went by"Escondido" He goes by Deepsix now. However he did a lot of digging out west...Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona that I know of. He did all that before I met him in Florida.

Where do you suspect those islands are that you're referring to... in Texas?

Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25495.html#msg25495

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The cost of being on the water everyday is high. The finds are few and far between. There is an initial fee to become a contractor. It used to be $1000. I think thats up to $1200 now. You also have to wait until the end of the year for your share, based on a point system (after the state takes their 20% and the Fishers their 50% of what's left). Then you have to convert whatever you are awarded into cash. Once its turned into cash then the IRS gets their share (if you made a profit). Easier said than done!
Aquanut

I thought the Fishers got 25% and the state 20%, at 50% for the Fishers, that sure could make pickings slim after total costs. I watched a boat work the area south of Turtle a few years ago, 2 divers and blowing holes as usual. Didn't seem to be doing much good, as no diver was handing anything over the side. I thought of moving there, and then trying it, but I kind of got caught up doing too many things up here, and now after talking to a few people that have done it, I just doubt it would be worth it. Ok if just for the experience, but with all the paperwork involved keeping records, GPS stuff, and expenses etc., I have pretty much lost interest. Besides, I can get seasick.  Tongue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25498.html#msg25498

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 06:10:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Jcp,
How it works is the state takes 20% off the top. The Fishers and the contractors split the remaining 80%.

Those two divers you saw were just one diver and one captain. They were probably off the "Rogue Wave". I have seen them blow holes right in the surf between Turtle and Seagrape. My group never worked that close in, however I know those two guys were getting some stuff. There's more to the story, but it's not my place to say... Most of the time, a diver working that close in will keep anyone observing them guessing. If they're bringing up small stuff like coins, they'll just stuff it in their wetsuit. some big stuff gets attached to the underside of the boat until they're out of range of any observers.

If you want to try it, do it with fun in mind. It's a 1000-1 chance you could make a living at it. Your entire first year will probably be nothing but a learning experience. As far as getting seasick, well it doesn't normally happen within sight of land. Most wrecks are close in so not much to worry about. I've seen a few get Seasick and thank God I'm not one of them!
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25506.html#msg25506

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 06:20:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I see on the split part, but if was to do it it would have been with one partner and I would have been the contractor, the person with the lease. Anyhow it isn't going to happen anymore anyway. I had to think a bit, but the boat was the Bookmaker, one of Taffys boats I believe. It wasn't in by the closest reef, it was about 100 ft off shore. As for the seasick part, I have never been, and I know I can take 1-2 foot seas ok, and maybe a bit more when under way, but near shore likely wouldn't have been any problem anyway. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25510.html#msg25510

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:12:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

I can't remember exactly, because I haven't been involved for years. But wasn't the Bookmaker John Brandon's boat?
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25540.html#msg25540

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 09:04:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

I can't remember exactly, because I haven't been involved for years. But wasn't the Bookmaker John Brandon's boat?
Aquanut

Yes, I think you are right. I thought he contracted but to work for her, not on his own. I am probably wrong. Anyway he had 2 divers in the water and stayed on the boat.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25543.html#msg25543

Offline kydave
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher,troy,tesoro,whites
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 10:37:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've found a few Barber Quarters just South of the Disney Resort near Wabasso, don't know where they came from!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3639.msg25772.html#msg25772

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
Jump to: