[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dr.dtector
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Gold Member

FALSE CAUSE A BANANA DONT HAVE A BACKBONE
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006, 10:45:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

what bill said! Grin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6146.html#msg6146

BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline crowsnest1Topic starter
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 02:30:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Goldminer,
Thanks for your knowledgable post,
I take your point on navigation, however from the late 16th century, most navigators, were able to determine their latitude!
Yet longitude, was another matter, they had the charts, with longitudinal lines, 15degrees for every hour, or line of longitude.
What they did not have was an accurate timepiece.
They therefore used a combination of navigation methods, Dead reckoning, Celestial navigation and knowledge of local geographical features.
Incidentally it was an Englishman, who won the ?20,000 prize for building the first timepiece to be used at sea and accurate to within 20 minutes of Longitude.

The charts, were allegedly drawn, by Captain William Kidd, while imprisoned in Newgate prison London England, while awaiting his trial for piracy.

Kidd was brought from New York on board Hms Advice, also on board was most of his Treasure which had been searched for and found by governor, Lord Bellomont!
This was the guy, who was instrumental in recommending Kidd to the King of England, William third, who along with certain other Lords. Built a new ship called the Adventure Galley, fitted her out, provisioned and crewed her and made Kidd captain.
His commission was to hunt the pirates, preying on shipping in the middle and far east oceans.

Kidd was on his cruise from 1696-1699, he returned to new York, after changing ships at Madagaskar, then sailing across, to the carribean, where he stopped off at Tortuga, changed to another ship, a Sloop named St. Antonio,
Kidd then left some of his crew, with the Adventure Prize, the ship he pirated and kept.
He was aware that he was wanted for piracy, so he stopped off at a number of islands, Namely Gardeners Island and a few others.
It was from here that Lord Bellomont and his men searched the Orchard and recovered a number of chests, belonging to Kidd.

In that era when a person was committed to prison, they had to pay for the priviledge, of being incarcerated. Kidd had his ships papers and logs taken from him, he had to pay for his own food and drink.
He was allowed his Bureaux and ships chest, as well as his personal clothing.

While Kidd was awaiting trial, he wrote two letters, asking for clemency, in return he promised to Be bound in chains and put aboard a stout ship, when he would show the King and or his servants an Island in the east indies where he had buried goods and treasure to the value of ?100,000.
One of these letters he sent to the House of Commons, where he was tried, the other letter he sent to the Lords of the Admiralty.
Neither of these groups of power accepted his proposal, Kidd was tried and convicted, he was executed at Tilbury Point London In May 1701.

As Kidd was convicted of piracy his belongings were the property of the crown, therefore his wife Sarah Kidd nee Oort.
Did not receive any of his belongings, they were auctioned below the Mast, as was the custom.

The charts came to light in 1930-32, one was  found in an old bureax, rumoured to belong to Kidd . The other was found in a false compartment within an old chest.

The only thing which can be confirmed, is that Kidd wrote the Letters knowing perfectly well that the Treasure he brought back with him had been found and indeed was brought to England on the same ship as himself.

Incidentally, the Treasure which came back with Kidd, was auctioned and the proceeds of that sale, which amounted to approx. ?8000.
Was used to construct Greenwich Hospital. This is now known as Greenwich Maritime Museum, also here is Greenwich Observatory.
Where all world Chronometers for maritime navigation are set, as Greenwich is the Zero meridian point.

This is just a  precis of this story.
Best wishes crowsnest

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6154.html#msg6154

Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 03:37:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Sue,
I am really glad, you have enjoyed the story, so far!
If you look ,at a modern sea chart, of the South China Sea, you will see that the Mekong River, has Four ,main tributaries, the first and main one is a distinctive branch, not dissimilar to the "L" on the chart, the next two tributaries are much closer together, like the "A", they even have a sandbar between them! perhaps similar to the bar which joins the legs of the "A".
The fourth tributary, yes you got it,!
Incidentally if you check the Latitude of the China Sea chart, you will see that it reads 9.16 degrees.
The same latitude as the mekong river delta.

To the north of the Mekong delta the shore is mainly mangrove, yet across a narrow strait you arrive at a group of islands.
The Longitude on the China sea chart, reads either 31.20 degress, east or 3.20 degrees east.
The island group laying across the strait are 3.20 degrees east of the northern most tip of land above the Mekong River, of course this is just coincidence.!!

Best wishes Kevin.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6157.html#msg6157

Offline Goldfinger
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006, 04:54:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Their was a very interesting story on PBS about the man who solved the problem of longitude by building a better clock that was seaworthy.
The mans name was John Harrison and he spent most of his life working on the problem and making improvements. Unfortunately- it took years before he was able to collect on the 20,000 pound prize. The first clock was called simply- H-4.

This was another watershed moment in history.

Steve

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6160.html#msg6160

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 04:56:24 pm by Goldfinger »
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2006, 05:04:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your right on the button, with this Steve, I think King George 3rd, intervened on Harrisons behalf, to ensure he was paid, incidentally his first clock H1, prompted the scientific institute to advance him ?500 pounds, to further his research, H1 weighed 72 pounds.
A bit heavy to wear on the wrist!
Best wishes Crowsnest. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6163.html#msg6163

Offline Goldminer
Copper Member

I love THunting
Thank you5

Activity
0%
Male
United States

746.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2006, 06:26:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Excellent research crowsnest1, facinating stuff.
Bill

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6169.html#msg6169

Him thief him friend of him last Guinea
  Him kill both priest and friar, oh dear.
    Him cut de t'roat of piccaninny
      Bloody, bloody buccaneer!

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2006, 06:56:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by crowsnest1
I am really glad, you have enjoyed the story, so far!
. . . above the Mekong River, of course this is just coincidence.!!
Best wishes Kevin.

HI Kevin,
I have been trying to look at sea charts like you mentioned and they all seem to be blocked from me. Not a big deal, I certainly have no problem taking your word on it. Anyway, don't you love serendipity - yep, might just be a coincidence. Well that blows my ideas on where the lagoon is to bits <chuckle>  Sue, liking the ", so far!" part

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6171.html#msg6171

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 08:58:55 am by Sweet Sue »
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2006, 12:39:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Goldminer-Bill,

I also noted, from your navigation post to me, that you mentioned the Spanish use of Astrolabe/Rose!.

Before answering you, I checked a few items of my research, and found that the Spanish and Portuguese, were very meticulous, when plotting their routes.
They also used various methods of navigation, I only mention this, as their navigators also kept a seperate log, within this log, was kept their triangulations of trigonometry, which they used in conjunction with the astrolabe and dead reckoning.
As they were so secretive, the logs were called Rutters and were never included in the ships daily log.
If you could locate one of these, from any of the Spanish Treasure Fleets, which lost ships, then I am sure they would be able to pinpoint, a wreck or wreck sites, quite accurately.

PS. I am not sure, what your main interest of treasure hunting is!?
However, if you have looked at old charts or maps, which are reputed to locate a lost mine, if any of them are genuine, then perhaps it might be an idea, not to look at what the map shows, but to look at the position, from where it was drawn.
The thought behind this, is that, this is the position of the person who hid it.!
Does that make any sense to you??

Best regards crowsnest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6182.html#msg6182

Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2006, 12:55:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Sue, Sorry to hear you can't locate a chart for the Mekong River, try locating a map of the South China Sea.

You may want to check out NASA, the section which shows Photo's of Earth from the Shuttle.

Search for an island Called "Grand Catwyck", on approx. 10 degrees latitude,you will come across a photo, which is taken from  the  South East
Check out the shape of the island and its' orientation!!

Best wishes Kevin.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6184.html#msg6184

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 09:51:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by crowsnest1
Check out the shape of the island and its' orientation!!
Best wishes Kevin.

Thanks, I've spotted it now - just as you described. I believe it was my Safari browser acting up earlier.

This answers a question I was going to ask you once - why the pirates were so plentiful along the E coast of the US.

Please Register or Login  It's just an excerpt from a book, Pirate Soul and, as I was reading it, I thought of your comments about why the men resorted to becoming pirates. Sue

?Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.? ? H.L. Mencken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,810.msg6219.html#msg6219

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:53:25 pm by Sweet Sue »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
Jump to: