[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 06:22:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As an example of using literary conscripts to indicate a suggestion in the mind of the reader, look to Eric Von Daniken and his Chariots of The Gods book or others in the series. There he never once says that the marks on the ground WERE created by aliens but that they might be. He also uses the open ended question to plant in the minds of the readers the suggestion that he stated a fact. For example, "Could they be the messages from space that we have been searching for?" Readers often say things like, "See? Those marks are made by aliens. Von Daniken said so in his book." Marx does the same thing in his own writing. When others write ABOUT him later from his sources, they don't quote him. Instead, they take what he has written and use their own assumptions to misquote him. It may not even be intentional. It's a trick of the English language that allows writers to implant suggestion rather than fact into the minds of their readers.

He clearly is quoted as saying, "We have found the Flor de Mar or at least the reef where struck." The word "or" modifies the entire statement into the realm of a possibility rather than an unequivocal statement of fact. Until you actually find the keel and some other identifying pieces of the actual wreck, to say anything else is very reckless and Robert Marx knows this. He has authored enough books to know how to implant suggestion which in turn sparks interest in his work. He's no fool and clearly not lying. His words allow the reader to mislead himself, if they so choose. Other readers, like myself, can see the tools used to create an image in the mind of the readers and we filter them out.

Rather than make this a continuation of the attacks against Robert Marx, why not look at this as a lesson in linguistics and the power of suggestion? We all do it to some degree. When asked about how your detecting went, do you tell the questioner about the pull tabs, bottle tops and iron junk? Most likely only in a peripheral way. You tell them about the goodies. That may spark an interest in detecting in that person. Look at this board and see how many people discuss all the junk they find. That's because we are among friends here. I would hope that a healthy analysis of the writing would be of great interest to everyone here but this gets turned into a "I hate Marx - I love Marx" debate instead.

Words are powerful things. I met the legendary "Buzzard" once who founded the GPAA. He passed away probably 15 years ago but he told me something that I will never forget. He told me that the greatest tool for finding treasure was to develop a mind that could solve logic puzzles. Why? Because anyone who does write about their own treasure will embed clues in that writing that the mind of a logic puzzle solver will see immediately. Also, you can apply that logic to an old house or site to determine the most likely place for treasure to be hidden.

Read those articles about Marx with an eye towards how he use literary conscripts to influence your own thoughts. Nowhere does he claim singularly that he has definitely found the Flor de Mar. He suggest in every case that he MAY have found it. That gets potential investors rubbing their hands together and reaching for their wallets.

I have made a study of the works of Bander and Grindler. Their book, Frogs Into Princes, lays the groundwork for the study of Neuro Lignuistics Programming or NLP which is what Marx uses to influence the reader.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43730.html#msg43730

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 06:28:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Christian
Hell Ray,

unfortunately I have to disagree with you. Pickung up your point scenarios of Marx looking for investors, his behaviour is unethical at best. I would call it fraudulent. How can one justify to lure people into an investment making a claim and then confessing at a later point of time: Well, guys I was honest saying I discovered a wreck. However you've just spent your money a totally different wreck than claimed earlier though.

I don't want to get silly over this but if you buy a red Ferrari and receive a red Fiat Panda in exchange for your money and the seller is argueing he just wanted to raise some interest by sayig it was a Ferrari... but both are cars are even made by the same big company ... than that is not what I'd be happy about it.

We are speaking about lost pardon Smiley I mean lots of money when it gets to treasure investements. Hence the person involved should be perfectly honest about their projetcs and ivestment opportunities.

This is not a trial against Marx nor do I think anyone here hates him but we just can't deny the fact that he made a false claim. No hard feelings but let's just face it.

Regards,

Christian

Isn't all wreck research speculation? If there is a way to exactly pinpoint a wreck then we would have found them all by now. Even the recent Air France airliner, with its known location and modern science, is still being sought. Using the suggestion of possible wealth has always been a means to lure investors. It's not the luring that makes it unethical, it's the result and honesty of the actual search. Read Mel Fisher's account of how many times he tried and failed to find the Atocha. When he did, he made up for past failures - as an honest man would.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43731.html#msg43731

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 06:32:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius,
I don't need an apology from Goldigger. He's obviously been hypnotized by a legend! LOL.
Goldigger, you are talking semantics. The bottom line is "It's a Con Game!" Marx is well known among the treasure hunting community. Some like him, some don't. Twisting words doesn't make it forgivable, it's still formulating a lie   to screw people out of their hard earned money.
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43732.html#msg43732

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 06:34:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aquanut
Cornelius,
I don't need an apology from Goldigger. He's obviously been hypnotized by a legend! LOL.
Goldigger, you are talking semantics. The bottom line is "It's a Con Game!" Marx is well known among the treasure hunting community. Some like him, some don't. Twisting words doesn't make it forgivable, it's still formulating a lie   to screw people out of their hard earned money.
Aquanut

I understand. Truly I do and I hold no ill regard towards you or your opinions. In lieu of an apology, I offer you a compliment. Your method of disagreeing with me is superb. Is this all semantics? Of course it is. This is the written word, not a discussion in a pub where we clink glasses and admire Marx' cunning way of getting investments while still shaking our head in wonderment over how many people invest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43733.html#msg43733

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 06:40:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice reply , but I don't give a sh.. about what you think  might be the thougths about what Marx was thinking at the time .   He just lied about the whole  Flor do Mar  episode . You backed him . More power to you , but where did you get your information ?  From Marx , or what you have been reading about him ?  You better stop this way of insulting known treasue divers and salvagors . See , we don't blame Marx to make some money in any way possible . Next to social security he may not have a great income . But... it is guys like you that stir up trouble , not only for us  but also for good old Marx  .  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43735.html#msg43735

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 06:51:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Nice reply , but I don't give a sh.. about what you think  might be the thougths about what Marx was thinking at the time .   He just lied about the whole  Flor do Mar  episode . You backed him . More power to you , but where did you get your information ?  From Marx , or what you have been reading about him ?  You better stop this way of insulting known treasue divers and salvagors . See , we don't blame Marx to make some money in any way possible . Next to social security he may not have a great income . But... it is guys like you that stir up trouble , not only for us  but also for good old Marx  .  Cornelius

Backed him? Don't be ridiculous. I simply don't back you or your friends who can't read the words properly. I would invest in any Marx venture. For all you know, I may already have done so.

There were people who called Mel Fisher a fraudster yet he made good in the end. Marx has had many successful projects. Why single this one out? So far, nobody has been defrauded of anything by Marx over the Flor de Mar. We have Tony Wells statement that he bought over 100 artifacts, all of which were fakes, from sources he chooses not to reveal. If he is that inexperienced at treasure, why do you believe him at all? Fool him once, maybe. Fool him 100 times? Oh, dear.

My information comes from the fact that the coin Marx held up for that photo was made of tin. Tin!! The metal that is used on boats to corrode on purpose because it can stop corrosion from happening to a brass propeller. To believe it would last 400 years and still look like it did in the photo is to be an absolute amateur and a fool to boot. There are no tin coins surviving on the Flor de Mar and anyone who understands wreck diving would immediately know this and dismiss the article has having at least one fundamental flaw.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43737.html#msg43737

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute!" A close friend of mine told me "There's an ass for every seat!" Truth be known, I agree with them. However, I don't agree with lying to entice suckers into a deal. Marx doesn't seem to agree with me!
Also, you Goldigger, despite all your arguments, seem like a reasonable person who simply thrives on controversy. It's probably time to let this one go...
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43738.html#msg43738

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 07:14:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aquanut
P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute!" A close friend of mine told me "There's an ass for every seat!" Truth be known, I agree with them. However, I don't agree with lying to entice suckers into a deal. Marx doesn't seem to agree with me!
Also, you Goldigger, despite all your arguments, seem like a reasonable person who simply thrives on controversy. It's probably time to let this one go...
Aquanut

Quite the opposite to thriving on controversy, I seek to educate those who do. Since you seem to understand the methodology behind the words, perhaps you could educate others as I do. There seems to be this huge barrier placed in front of normally reasonable folks here that obscures the reality of what is happening. Marx hasn't lied at all. What he has done is plant the suggestion of possibility in the minds of the readers. What good would a treasure hunt be if you or anyone told the absolute truth about it. It would go something like this.

I have an idea that there is a treasure hidden out there. I really don't have a clue as to its actual location or if it really still exists. In fact, someone else may already have secretly found it and removed it. I need investors. Would you like to invest?

Rewrite that a bit.

I may have found a significant and important lead to a real treasure. I have either found the actual site or someplace very close. I doubt if anyone else has made the connection so I am confident in making a recovery. Would you like to share in this possible treasure?

Neither contain lies. But the latter has a better presentation for any investor to consider. As long as the outcome is honest, how can there be anything wrong in the second way of presenting things? Advertisers do it all the time. Buy this, and you are irresistible to the opposite sex. Buy this and you will make all kids of money. Almost everything financial in life is speculative. The proof is in the outcome. If Marx believes he has found the Flor de Mar and he is correct, where is the fraud? If he believes he has found it and he is incorrect, there still is no fraud. He just believed incorrectly. But to read others here, Marx ought to be arrested for fraud. Thus far, he has not been arrested or even charged. Why? Because those versed in the legalities of investment schemes have determined that he has not committed any.

But let's not allow that to stop the scare mongers here. Let them scream fraud and liar. After all, libel is a trifling thing and means nothing. Oh, and the board belongs to someone else so why do I care about libel?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43741.html#msg43741

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline TonyWells
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

U/W Metal Detectors
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 07:16:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger,

I never said I bought 100 items from Marx. That was the guy who started this topic. I never bought anything from Marx and never would. And that guy never said he bought 100 items from Marx. He was simply stating that he has bought 100 items (some from Marx and many from other sellers). He was simply stating that fact to point out that he's a serious antique collector and that's it.

I was never a former employee of Marx. He didn't hire me. I was working for Southeast Asia Salvage. Our boss (Tjetty) hired Marx as a consultant only. Marx was not paying me and had no say-so over me or whatever I did for the company.

If Marx is saying we MAY have found the Flor then why the heck is he going around selling artifacts that he's claiming came from the Flor? It's really silly and you and him are experts at playing with words and tricking people. See both of you in jail some day for fraud. Speaking of which - I heard from a reliable source that the FBI is investigating Marx at this time for fraud because of so many complaints from people who have bought fake items from him (this includes both Japanese and American antique buyers).

TW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43742.html#msg43742

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 07:26:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TonyWells
Golddigger,

I never said I bought 100 items from Marx. That was the guy who started this topic. I never bought anything from Marx and never would. And that guy never said he bought 100 items from Marx. He was simply stating that he has bought 100 items (some from Marx and many from other sellers). He was simply stating that fact to point out that he's a serious antique collector and that's it.

You are correct. I mis-attributed that to you. I apologize for the error.

Quote:Posted by {author}
I was never a former employee of Marx. He didn't hire me. I was working for Southeast Asia Salvage. Our boss (Tjetty) hired Marx as a consultant only. Marx was not paying me and had no say-so over me or whatever I did for the company.

I believe you when you say you were never a former diver or employee. It does say so in the article though. You should be attacking the reporter for making such a glaring error in a fact you know to be falsely depicted.

Quote:Posted by {author}
If Marx is saying we MAY have found the Flor then why the heck is he going around selling artifacts that he's claiming came from the Flor? It's really silly and you and him are experts at playing with words and tricking people. See both of you in jail some day for fraud. Speaking of which - I heard from a reliable source that the FBI is investigating Marx at this time for fraud because of so many complaints from people who have bought fake items from him (this includes both Japanese and American antique buyers).

Why would I be in jail, mate? You were the diver who helped Marx. I'm only disagreeing with your words here, nothing more. The FBI would be welcome in my home any time to discuss Marx. What I know about anything regarding him and his actions would be useless to them.

Tony, you clearly have the wrong idea about me but that's all right. I am only interested in verifiable fact before I condemn anyone at all. It seems to me that some people, in this very thread even, are reading things into facts that just aren't there. Perhaps someday you will realize that but right now is clearly not the time for you to do that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg43743.html#msg43743

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.