[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 01:50:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aquanut
Too Funny!

I agree. The image of Cornelius standing around peeing with big guys is hilarious.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45048.html#msg45048

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands
Referrals: 0

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2009, 02:23:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Robert Marx and some pewter ( tin is it as called in any other language )plates . They have been in the ocean for a very very very long time and still are like new . Something that GoldDigger holds for impossible . Looks like he has a lesson comming dont you think ?   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45051.html#msg45051

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Marx and Pewter.jpg

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2009, 02:55:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Goldigger 1950, your argument may lack credibility. Help us out here to understand the true facts behind your argument. What 300, or 400 year old shipwrecks have you conducted underwater salvage operations on? Thanks!  Dell

Zinc, is the metal used on modern vessels as a sacrificial metal to help control electrolysis.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45054.html#msg45054

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:08:11 pm by Dell_Winders »

"WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, CAN BE DONE"

Offline VOC
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2009, 05:28:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius wrote:

"Robert Marx and some pewter ( tin is it as called in any other language )plates . They have been in the ocean for a very very very long time and still are like new"

Good point, but if the plates were fakes they would look like new !!! so GoldDigger could still be right !!!

More seriously the only way to end this "off message" Peeing contest is for someone to tell us where in the "Galvanic Scale" both Tin and Pewter is.

Pewter does last better than Tin underwater why I don?t know, but I also don?t know how a little additive to Steel makes it into Stainless Steel.

Tin Anodes may have been used occasionally somewhere but it is rare.

We should all be fighting UNESCO and the others that are stopping our legal right to look for and recover lost Treasure, rather than fighting each other on the internet.

Marx like "most" Treasure Hunters has probably told a few porkies for various reasons over the years, and may well have sold knowingly or unknowingly some items with doubtful provenance, but hell the guy has genuinely done more than most of us all put together, and over the years has helped and inspired hundreds of guys get into the wonderful world of Treasure Hunting underwater.

The Industry is full of characters of all sorts both good and bad, and by its very nature is full of intrigue and conspiracy, financial problems by the bucket full, crooks, villains and chancers, and anybody who has stuck it out for all the years like he has would have to be a Saint if he had done all this without upsetting or crossing swords with someone somewhere.

Like someone has previously said he has stopped selling anything he does not know for sure is genuine so I feel its time to give the guy a break.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45063.html#msg45063

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:01:24 pm by VOC »
Offline salvor6
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Those pewter plates in the picture, Marx just made them!

VOC, stainless steel has no steel in it. It is made of nickel and chrome.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45065.html#msg45065

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:34:15 pm by salvor6 »
Offline VOC
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2009, 05:44:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"VOC, stainless steel has no steel in it. It is made of nickel and chrome".

Thanks, just goes to prove I know jack shit about metals Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45068.html#msg45068

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:59:51 pm by VOC »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2009, 06:14:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Robert Marx and some pewter ( tin is it as called in any other language )plates . They have been in the ocean for a very very very long time and still are like new . Something that GoldDigger holds for impossible . Looks like he has a lesson comming dont you think ?   Cornelius

That will never happen at your hand, Cornelius. Tin is not pewter but pewter contains tin. It's the alloy that makes it work. The photo of Marx says he is holding a tin coin. End of story. With that glaring error, the entire article is suspect.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45069.html#msg45069

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2009, 06:51:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This thread has turned into "A Pissin' Contest".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45075.html#msg45075

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by VOC
"VOC, stainless steel has no steel in it. It is made of nickel and chrome".

Thanks, just goes to prove I know jack shit about metals Grin

Actually, you are not wrong at all. Steel is the main component of stainless steel. It contains chromium, nickel or other additives giving it a variable hardness, resistance to corrosion and magnetic component.

Pewter sitting on the shelf in a shop tarnishes rapidly. In the sea, it does so with vigor. At the 100 year point, it's mostly gone. Those are the facts not the myths these so called "big boys" are putting forth. But they've already proven that they'd rather be considered "right" than get close to any real facts.

Another salient point you made is about the truthfulness of treasure hunters in general. I believe that most of us are honest and truthful at the same time being secretive. With good reason. Guys who reveal all find themselves being in a race to their treasure rather than looking over their area alone. That's the facts. If any of these so called "big boys" deny this, begin laughing now because they'd be lying.

Being secretive or misleading will protect your treasure until you find it and recover it. Marx has made his living that way and the truth of all this is a bit of envy on the part of his detractors. Tarnish the man, and you win - that seems to be the mantra of his detractors here. The truth is that Marx has a bank full of income from both his finds and his most useful writings. So far, even the most damning comments here die on the vine for lack of a single fact, not guess, that confirms the accusations. Read them carefully. There's a lot of hollering going on with no tangible facts.

You have the original poster saying he is an expert who somehow got fooled into buying 100 items that were fakes. An expert does that? In what universe? When challenged to provide any proof that even one of them actually came from Marx, he ignores that and screams another accusation. And the rest of them? Well, they attack the man, not the message, when it comes from me. Look at them referring to me as not having knowledge that they have. Oh, dear. If only they knew. They have no clue of my credentials and wouldn't even know what they meant if I provided them. Yet you have an alleged expert and self proclaimed "big boy" slinging insults at me while the rest laugh. Good on 'em, I say. Laughter is good for the heart. Let them laugh. Among them all, they don't hold a candle to your reply.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45101.html#msg45101

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:18:29 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2009, 08:22:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Dell_Winders
Goldigger 1950, your argument may lack credibility. Help us out here to understand the true facts behind your argument. What 300, or 400 year old shipwrecks have you conducted underwater salvage operations on? Thanks!  Dell

Zinc, is the metal used on modern vessels as a sacrificial metal to help control electrolysis.

Indeed, zinc is used but so is tin. Unalloyed tin is around 80% longer lasting and does just as good a job.

As to shipwrecks I have explored, I have been along the Florida coast with those now referred to by the self proclaimed experts here as "big boys." Here in Western Australia am associated with men whose names these forum members are not even worthy of reading.

Now if only I could get one of those "big boys" here to stop deleting my posts, we'd all be much happier for the facts being presented. Seems that the anger inside these guys is making them push buttons to which they ought not have access.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45102.html#msg45102

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:24:44 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.