[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands
Referrals: 0

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2009, 02:44:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger . Tin is mined out of the ocean . The island of Banka is famous for its tin . They are using dredgers to get a hold of it . Since tin is in contact with salt water how come it is still mined ? Would it not have corroded to the point where it could not be mined ? I would say , read a little more before you make any claims . For a man wanting proof of just about anything said on this forum you fall short of proving anything you claim yourself. Answer Dell 's question about your experience . You are not big enough to fill Dells shoes . What ....? You are not even big enough to fill  ONE of his shoes  ! If pewter ( tin ) gets pitted a little it is because of the added 5 % of material to get it more rigid . That 5 % is the only part of pewter ( tin ) that is eroded over the years . Tin is not used as an electrode . As Dell also said it is Zinc that is used to protect the ships hull and propellor . If I was you I would quit posting any more while you are ahead . Cornelius

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45151.html#msg45151

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2009, 03:14:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Golddigger . Tin is mined out of the ocean . The island of Banka is famous for its tin . They are using dredgers to get a hold of it . Since tin is in contact with salt water how come it is still mined ? Would it not have corroded to the point where it could not be mined ? I would say , read a little more before you make any claims . For a man wanting proof of just about anything said on this forum you fall short of proving anything you claim yourself. Answer Dell 's question about your experience . You are not big enough to fill Dells shoes . What ....? You are not even big enough to fill  ONE of his shoes  ! If pewter ( tin ) gets pitted a little it is because of the added 5 % of material to get it more rigid . That 5 % is the only part of pewter ( tin ) that is eroded over the years . Tin is not used as an electrode . As Dell also said it is Zinc that is used to protect the ships hull and propellor . If I was you I would quit posting any more while you are ahead . Cornelius

Bzzzt! Sorry. That's the buzzer. Tin is corrosive in pure form. End of story.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45152.html#msg45152

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2009, 03:49:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Dell_Winders
oooh! I see you really don't know what you are ranting about, and certainly don't allow fact, or truth to get in the way of your prejudice. 

I don't think the "real facts" you speak of are  very credible coming from your mouth in light of physical evidence. The  drawer handles and other Pewter items in this photo were only under sea water for 150 years, and show very little errosion, but I do have some nice Pewter spoon handles, and Pewter buttons, I salvaged from shipwrecks that were immersed in Sea water for almost 300 years and they only show some minor pitting.

I have no reason to be untruthful on these forums either, so, you wouldn't be trying to convince THunting.com viewers of your honesty with this Snake oil you speak of, would you?   Dell

Dell, I didn't prejudge you at all. In fact, I stood up for you in a previous topic where others were on your case. But after asking you for genuine proof that your equipment will locate treasure, all you did was waffle and say that it was up to the user more than the machine. What the heck do you want $950.00 for if the machine doesn't do anything? Why not just sell coat hangers for that much and save yourself a little time and effort.

That, Dell, is the snake oil of which I speak. I'm not flogging anything here. I don't have to prove my metal detector works. It just does. But your machine? By your own admission, it doesn't do a thing but you sell it as a tool worth $950.00. Shame on you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45160.html#msg45160

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2009, 03:55:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have to say that this has been one lively topic. If it were cut and dried, like those here propose, it would have ended days ago. Instead, the controversy has a life of its own. There are too many things wrong with the articles put forth here as evidence. There are mistakes, errors, false testimony and all manner of misinterpreted information which has been used by some who claim to be "experts" in the field of shipwrecks. There are claims made about metals that deny the physics of metals entirely. Laugh if you want, but that's a fact. Witness the claims here in this very topic which are so easily proven incorrect that I don't waste my time doing it. I leave it to the cognicenti.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45162.html#msg45162

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2009, 10:37:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger 1950,  I am no expert, and don't claim to be. I only speak from my personal experience in the field, as a Professional Treasure hunter/Salvor for 35 years, and not from something I have read. I have shown photographic evidence of what I say, of Pewter items that I recovered from a documented shipwreck sank in 1848. I have more.

You have demanded proof from me before, and when it is not given to your satisfaction, you infer that I am a liar, and publicly brand me as being a fraudulent Snake Oil salesman, with no evidence whatsoever to substanstiate your bogus claim. Shame on you!

Quote:Posted by {author}
Sorry. Wasn't I clear that I wasn't going to provide such information? Well, I'll try again. Since this is an unverifiable forum, you waste my time by asking. It also doesn't matter on whit towards the facts I have presented.

WHAT FACTS?

Yes, you have certainly been successful in calling attention to this forum, and yourself, at the expense of others. I'm surprised that creating controversy to attract viewers should be  a part of the job description of being a Moderator here. "Moderator" is as the title implies. Nothing more.

I see  hypocrisy in your refusal to offer credentials that support your own credibility, stating that claims are unverifiable here. Yet, as a Moderator entrusted with authority, you expect, even demand, verifiable proof from myself, and others.

Yes my friend, it is my personal opinion, that you abuse your authority as a Moderator here, and you owe me, Christian, Cornelius,  the participants, and viewers of these forums a BIG apology.

I would further suggest that you should step down from your position as a Moderator, because you do not appear to be serving in  the best public interest of these forums. With that said, I don't know what Christian's interests for his forums are.  It's just my own  opinion.  Dell

Quote:Posted by {author}
   For a man wanting proof of just about anything said on this forum you fall short of proving anything you claim yourself. Answer Dell 's question about your experience . You are not big enough to fill Dells shoes . What ....? You are not even big enough to fill  ONE of his shoes.

Come on Cornelius, I wear a size 16. There are a lot of people who can't fill a shoe of that size.   Dell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45239.html#msg45239

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:44:54 am by Dell_Winders »

"WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, CAN BE DONE"

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2009, 12:46:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Dell_Winders
Yes my friend, it is my personal opinion, that you abuse your authority as a Moderator here, and you owe me, Christian, Cornelius,  the participants, and viewers of these forums a BIG apology.

And how do I do that, Dell? Do I delete your posts? Do I threaten to ban you? The fact? I do you no harm that you don't do to yourself. I have the same right to an opinion as you. Does being a moderator mean that I must not ever disagree with you?

You exhibit the clear signs of a person losing an argument, Dell. You begin attacking the man rather than the message. My message remains clear as does my reputation. After all, I'm not selling a $950.00 machine that is guaranteed not to work.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45249.html#msg45249

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2009, 02:09:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger . Selling a $950.- machine is ONE subject . Having a discussion about Robert Marx artifacts  and subjects related to that topic is ANOTHER . You are grabbing anything to change the subject and to become the guy who is right . You changed your mind on the Tin and called it an alloy , after I made you aware of that fact .  You said that tin would not last in sea water until I made you aware of the fact that tin was mined in the ocean by means of giant dredgers  ( Island of Banka , Indonesia ,  by Pt Timah ) . As such tin is not used as an electrode  to protect the propellors of ships by means of electolysis . The discussion about the selling of artifacts by Robert Marx was another subject you lost . After Tony Wells and  Nihonsiver explained to you that many of the items sold by Marx were fakes  you still maintained that there was no proof of that fact . You my friend are a sore looser .  You don't have to apologize to me  . It carries no value . But ...I think you should apologize to Dell for your remark in your last post .  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45263.html#msg45263

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:30:59 pm by Cornelius »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2009, 02:52:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You changed your mind on the Tin and called it an alloy , after I made you aware of that fact .  You said that tin would not last in sea water until I made you aware of the fact that tin was mined in the ocean by means of giant dredgers  ( Island of Banka , Indonesia ,  by Pt Timah ) . As such tin is not used as an electrode  to protect the propellors of ships by means of electolysis . The discussion about the selling of artifacts by Robert Marx was another subject you lost . After Tony Wells and  Nihonsiver explained to you that many of the items sold by Marx were fakes  you still maintained that there was no proof of that fact . You my friend are a sore looser .

Cornelius, you once again show your ignorance. PEWTER is the alloy. It is NOT tin and never will be tin. Instead, it is an alloy of tin. I never changed my mind and I am not wrong on the fact, not the fantasy like yours, that the newspaper article said the coin Marx held up was tin, not pewter. Anyone who understands metals knows that tin is corrosive in pure form and not so as pewter. That being said, the article clearly stated TIN was the metal the coin was made from which makes it one of two things. First, the article is wrong and the coin could not have been found after 400 years in the sea as it is pictured. Second, it was really pewter and not tin. Either of those options makes the entire article suspect because both are incorrect directly from the article.

Now, you can keep on believing every other lie or mistake in the article if you wish but I choose to be among the cognicenti rather than the ignorati.

Tin is used for a slower acting electrolyte than zinc on sailboats and drop motor launches. It is used on the transom of small craft to stop the corrosion of the magnesium-aluminum alloy motor housings. Tin ore is not pure tin and therefore not the subject under discussion here. Stop bringing that remark into the discussion. It just shows how desperate you are to be right when you are clearly incorrect.

Neither of your friends has proven or even sworn that Marx was the source of the items with claims to authenticity. They probably bought them from knock-off merchants in ports of call where they were duped by the sales people. I have asked them repeatedly if they got their provenance of the items from Marx and both of them simply ignore the question. They only have the items with no provenance. It shows them both to be fooled by purchasing fakes. How on earth can two such distinguished so called experts be fooled to such a degree? Only they can know but it doesn't do Marx any damage at all for them to claim something and not back it up. It just shows them to be less than the expert they claim to be. What is the provenance of each item? That question remains a glaring omission in this discussion.

And you do your own image no good at all to keep on believing something that is false just so you can pretend to be right. Tin corrodes. Pewter does too, at a slower rate, even though it is made mostly from tin. By the way, I always knew that pewter was an alloy but even here you pretend that I didn't. The discussion was about TIN, not pewter. They are not now nor have they ever been the same. You changed the discussion to something I would agree to, not the other way around.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45265.html#msg45265

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2009, 04:39:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Having been in the business of salvage and wreck-diving for over 50 years I come to the conclusion that you are a nut case .  I do not speak for Tony Wells or Nihonsiver or Dell Winders  but only for myself . They may come to the same conclusion , but I leave it up to them to respond to your outragious posts . To me  you are a nut !  Most of us are detectorists but in a regular treasure Divers Forum you would not last for 5 minutes . This is the last post you will receive from me .   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45290.html#msg45290

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2009, 04:43:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Having been in the business of salvage and wreck-diving for over 50 years I come to the conclusion that you are a nut case .  I do not speak for Tony Wells or Nihonsiver or Dell Winders  but only for myself . They may come to the same conclusion , but I leave it up to them to respond to your outragious posts . To me  you are a nut !  Most of us are detectorists but in a regular treasure Divers Forum you would not last for 5 minutes . This is the last post you will receive from me .   Cornelius

You already promised that before. Yet here you are nagging at me evermore. This can only be attributed to a personal failing on your part.

I'll be glad to be shut of you and your nonsensical comments although you do make me laugh with what you put forth here as "fact" which turns out to be nothing more than vitriolic spew about Robert Marx.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7024.msg45292.html#msg45292

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.