[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline AzwipTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Silver uMax
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:44:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy, am still quite a rookie... have had my detector for a few weeks now, have only been out a few times.  I do have a "stupid" question for those with more time and experience in the hobby...

Do you ever get used to it?  Metal detecting in public.  I am usually not a shy guy, but, for now anyways, I feel more comfortable using my machine at nite, for parks and the such.  the few times I have tried it during the daylight, I felt like everyone is staring at me.   Grin

I sure wish I had the comfort level to go out to a park during the day... I don't know, is it just me, or do others feel a little "uncomfortable" at first?  And if so, how long did it take to "go away", ha ha.

I love the hobby so far, but always feel like someone is going to go call the cops if they see me.   Police

The other question I have, is similar I guess, but I just "can't" bring myself to digging (even just the small "Stick a screwdriver in the ground and pop the item") in a park yet... really want to though because I get some really interesting hits when I do get up the nerve to hit a park, ha ha... probably pop tops, but again, unless I go after 'em I'll never know. 

Hmmm, after reading what I just wrote... sure seems I am more shy than I thought.   Smiley

I dunno.... just wondered if others feel the same way, and when/if it begins to stop feeling that way?  I admire those who just "got for it".   Smiley

Thanks for fielding a dumb "curiousity" question from a rookie. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77426.html#msg77426

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:59:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Azwip, everything becomes easier with practice.   As for digging in the park, keeping the holes small can be a challenge especially as hard as our soil in Arizona usually is, so practice, practice, practice at home or out in the desert until you're really comfortable with your hole making ability.  Then you can take pride in making holes that even the head groundskeeper won't notice.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77428.html#msg77428

Offline SharenH
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 505
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am better at it now than I was at first.  Going to tot lots I have found when people start asking questions like if I found any thing, I tell them "mostly trash" and show them the trash I find, I also say this is my "alone time" a hobby I can do by MYSELF.  They usually get the drift and leave me alone, and if the kids ask if they can try it, I tell them no...but their parents can buy one for them to try.

The hardest thing is deciding on what to dig.  If I do get a good hit, and I know it will poss take a larger hole, I make a note and go by there later when there is not too many people around.  ALWAYS fill in your hole.

Most people know what the hobby is and leave you alone.

Good luck!!!

SharenH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77446.html#msg77446

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:14:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

By nature I am not an outgoing person.   I do prefer alone time, especially when I am metal detecting.   First let me say I try to never do it in front of an audience, but sometimes it can't be helped.   Generally when someone approaches me and starts yaking I initially ignore them.    After a minute or so I look up with a "oh are you there?" expression.   When they speak I give them a puzzled look as if they were speaking Latin or ancient Greek.    Then I slowly shake my head and point at my headphones to signify "I can't hear you with these things on," and go back to my detecting.   I always give them a little smile and sometimes a little wave in acknowledgment.   They give it up pretty quick, they really do.   I perfected that maneuver over 30 years ago and it works nearly every time.

I never dig a target with anyone close by.    I have my 100 foot rule.   People will hang on you if they can watch you dig up a target.    Kids get excited and may step on your detector in their excitement to see what you dig up..    I know.  It happened it me once.   If I get a target hit and folks are around I just grind my heel on the spot to mark it and move on.   After the folks move on or get at least 100 feet away I can come back and recover the target.

Remember this, people get bored easy and if they don't see you recover a target and they can't even carry on a conversation with you, they walk away.  Just remember to act friendly, smile, wave but don't talk because you can't hear with those darn headphones on and you aren't having any luck at all.   Not finding a single thing.

These methods have never left me down.   It's my SOP when detecting in public places.

Good luck.  HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77453.html#msg77453

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:00:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I like the way you operate, oldcoon. Need to change your handle to wise owl  Smiley I've messed up before digging a target with someone watching or nearby. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77465.html#msg77465

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Azwip, you may be a little too worried about what others think about your newfound hobby...I've even had a few smart mouthed folks say something to their friends or to me so they could get attention and look like the "Big Man" around their friends at my expense...Don't let these smart A's bother you...and don't worry about what anyone thinks...when they get smart with me, I've usually been able to put them down to size by saying something back that lets them know ol' treasuremomo ain't just a pushover that'll take any crap off wise-cracking smart A's. Don't worry about anyone but the park employees who may object...get permission from them and always emphasize the idea that you'll properly cover the holes you dig. AND DO SO. Never leave excavations uncovered. That is a bad thing, because those holes you leave may just be the reason that park officials close off the park or other area to detecting. I even go so far as trying to cover up someone elses excavations I find uncovered. It makes me angry to see some nice sight full of holes like a battlefield...that is why some sites get put offlimits to metal detecting. And justifiably so! Be a good steward of the hobby and we may just be able to use our detectors for many years to come. Good luck with your detecting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77475.html#msg77475

Offline zinnia2020
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 11:01:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

I know exactly how you feel, especially since I live in a small town and go to small towns.  Thanks for posting the question because I'm new to this and just like MDing in public, I have would have never asked in a forum.  Thank you, there are a lot of good answers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77880.html#msg77880

Offline Quarterkings
Bronze Member

Thank you52

Activity
0%

2810.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett's and Bouny Hunters
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 11:31:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

At first I felt the same way but now it doesn't bother me. I tune them out. Usually I go during the week when the parks are empty. It is my alone time and I don't need kids chasing me around asking quetions and trying to get at the target that I am digging. One time a kid tried to pull out a coin I was digging up and he almost got poked by the digger.
 I usually tell them to stay a distance away from the coil because it will burn them. It works. I never let them use the detector since I tell them that it is not a toy and it's expensive. I just tell them where to get one.
 I have been called an idiot and been told a remark like,"Get a Job." I respond by saying that the idiots are the ones that lost the coins and jewelry. As far as getting a job, I tell them that I am retired and where do they find the time to be just cruising around they are so young. I tell them to get a job and they won't have time to bother me.
 Don't worry about what people say. I just go out to do what I like to do and I don't care what anyone thinks .
 HH Arturo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77886.html#msg77886

Offline Azjake
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

340.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Xterra 705, Tesoro Diablo 2
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

These are some good ideas, I will use them all!  I'm also new and a bit nervous.  I have switched to ear buds because I can't get over the thought that I can be snuck up on.  I carry a pretty mean looking digging tool in my free hand.
The one thing that really put me at ease was talking to the park maintenance people.  They were very nice and said I was welcome to dig anytime as long as I filled the holes.
The worst thing that has happened so far was when I was detecting a park that has a skate park in it.  I was detecting and felt something small hit me in the back.  I turn around and saw a couple 12-14 year old kids looking at me.  I found the penny they threw at me.  I winged it back towards them fairly hard, with a smile of course, and I think they got the point not to throw anything else my way.
I really liked having someone else to detect with when I first started, but now am getting used to being alone, I just scan my surroundings pretty often.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77956.html#msg77956

Offline Larry B
"Beeping & Digging is all I crave"
Bronze Member

Darn snow snakes! Where'd they go?
"Beeping & Digging is all I crave"
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1040.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett ACE 250, Radio Shack Discovery, Pioneer, Bounty Hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 09:33:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

MD'ing in public doesn't bug me a bit. Especially when the kids show up. THEN THE FUN BEGINS! LOL To see em dig up their 1st coin is a treasure by itself. Plus knowing I'm helping to plant the MD'ing seed is also cool. Actually, I look forward to folks interest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12012.msg77966.html#msg77966

Hello from Estancia..

Historic Estancia Valley New Mexico

"The Punkin Chunkin capital of the world"

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: