[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 03:41:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Texas Jay
rational observer, I am sure the readers of this board are anxiously waiting for you to post facts supporting your allegations and not just continuously posting your opinion which is not shared by the books editor, publisher, or the Library of Congress.  You are also ignoring the fact that the Federal government had sealed all information about the Knights of the Golden Circle immediately after the War and the fact that, while few dispute the KGCs involvement in the Lincoln conspiracy, there appears to be not a single reference to this feared organization in the transcripts of the trial of John Surratt which, by the way, ended in a hung jury.  Surratt was never tried again.  Did it ever occur to you that some of the jurors may very well have been Knights too? 

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/trialofjohnhsurr01surr

Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/trialofjohnhsurr02surr

~Texas Jay

I am ignoring a fact? Sorry...I am just observant enough to know the difference between a twenty-five cent fictional novel and what your belief system thinks is a historical document. I am also observant enough to know the difference between speculation and fact. Speculating any information was withheld during the Surratt trial...without proof...is just speculation

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61420.html#msg61420

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:43:14 pm by Rational Observer »
Offline cccalco
Knights of the Golden Circle
Bronze Member

Knights of the Golden Circle
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

RO  "if the novel was in fact a true and correct diary...it would have been used in the trial against John Surratt."
Isn't this observation a speculation?
CC

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61447.html#msg61447

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rational Observer, you are walking on thin ice and I suggest you either offer some documented facts supporting your allegation or you stop repeating it over and over again.
~Texas Jay

Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/reportontheorder02unit
  - Commonly known as the Holt Report, this is the online edition of "A Western Conspiracy in Aid of the Southern Rebellion".  It was an official U.S. report from Judge Advocate General Joseph Holt to Secretary of War Stanton telling of the strength of the Knights of the Golden Circle at the end of 1864. 
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61452.html#msg61452

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

HoltReport1864.jpg

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 06:03:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by {author}

Rational Observer, you are walking on thin ice and I suggest you either offer some documented facts supporting your allegation or you stop repeating it over and over again.
~Texas Jay

Open Library

Please Register or Login

http://openlibrary.org/b/OL6545801M/private_journal_and_diary_of_John_H._Surratt_the_conspirator.

Notes: Probably fictitious.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61685.html#msg61685

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:04:50 am by Rational Observer »
Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Who is "Open Library"?  Sounds like a source who doesn't want their true identity known to me.  Anyone can create a webpage and post whatever ridiculous opinions they want on it.  If you don't believe me, then take another look at the webpage you furnished.  It seems the "Probably fictitious" statement has been edited out.   Hello
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61753.html#msg61753

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 03:36:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Texas Jay
Who is "Open Library"?  Sounds like a source who doesn't want their true identity known to me.  Anyone can create a webpage and post whatever ridiculous opinions they want on it.  If you don't believe me, then take another look at the webpage you furnished.  It seems the "Probably fictitious" statement has been edited out.   Hello
~Texas Jay

Like Wiki, Open Library can be edited freely. That wasn't nice of you to change it but it did make your point.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61757.html#msg61757

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think everyone would like to know who erroneously edited it in the first place and added the "Probably fictitious" line.  This is certainly not the first time this kind of scam has been pulled on those of us who are seeking to learn the truth about our Civil War history.  I caution all members to exercise extreme caution when googling for "KGC" or "Knights of the Golden Circle" as many of the best websites have been infected with viruses and worms by those not wanting the truth to get out.  The same group of people are responsible for this too.  So, unless you have a top-notch anti-virus security system on your computer as I do on mine, I suggest you rely on sites like this and Yahoo-sponsored groups and don't visit sites that you haven't heard of before.  I will never post a link on here that I haven't first checked out with my computer and found to be free of implanted viruses or worms.
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61774.html#msg61774

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 05:35:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Texas Jay,

First of all, a text page cannot cause a virus infection on your computer so you may want to relax a bit on that front. Secondly, those pages are made editable for a good reason. They are works in progress and the compilation of ideas from thousands or people are what give them worth. Any book written where the author is no longer alive could be fiction and nobody should ever deny that. Since the proof is now in the reading and verification of that work, the evidence is not likely to be forthcoming. It's over 140 years old and the principals in the book are long gone.

The question still remains. Has anyone ever found a verifiable KGC treasure? Even the one found on the documentary? Was it really verified to be KGC or was the discovery a simple cache?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61778.html#msg61778

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:37:49 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 05:58:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger, I have to contradict your statement about viruses and worms on websites.  My computer has been infected several times by such malware before I got the proper anti-virus system.  There are ways to verify the Surratt Diary as genuine.  First off, it must be read by someone who has some knowledge of the history of the period.  It took me 3-4 hours to read this Diary carefully.  I don't believe anyone who has not read a book should be infecting such a webpage as the one in this discussion with his/her biased and uneducated opinions. 
To answer your question, yes, there have been many verified KGC treasures recovered but one must know how to accurately read the symbols and signs marking such a cache or depository in order to be able to "verify" one.  There have not been many that have been made public and this is for very good reasons that I don't think anyone will have any problem figuring out.  The $200,000 found by Bob Brewer was verified in detail by Mr. Brewer and other witnesses but, then again, one must be willing to read his account in order to determine whether or not you believe the photos, details about the way he found these caches, and the eyewitnesses accounts that he gives to support the fact.  As I've said before, I believe that Pastore's, Brewer's and Griffith's finds were KGC based on documentation that I have seen.  Whether or not you, GoldDigger, or anyone else believe they are KGC does not bother me one bit nor does it change my beliefs which are based on solid facts and what I have seen with my own eyes.
~Texas Jay   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61786.html#msg61786

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Relax, Jay. I am not a believer nor am I a disbeliever. When I hear a treasure tale, I always consider that in the retelling they become part truth and part fiction. To be honest, you have to admit the reality of such things. Use your imagination and pretend you had a one million dollar cache to hide. How would YOU do it? How would YOU discuss it? In fact, I think you'd hide it using absolutely nothing to mark its presence and tell not a living soul except perhaps your closest family members. Now imagine being a group of people hiding a treasure like that.

Think about it. Get back to reading the diary and start thinking the way you just were regarding treasure and the hiding of treasure.

I've found probably a dozen caches in my life. All of them were either accidental in their entirety or by logical deduction after studying the person hiding it. I have never seen a map to even a cache of coins never mind millions in bullion. Tree markers? Stone markers? Get real. Why tell the world at large where you buried your treasure? If anything, they would be used to send you completely off the trail.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61832.html#msg61832

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
Jump to: