[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2010, 08:47:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Texas Jay,
      I will gladly retract my statement about KGCers only wanting funding since it really did NOT mean to imply that KGCers were out to con anyone or make a quick buck.   What I really meant to imply was that KGCers are always on the trail of a possible cache, but not particularly sure where it would be.   And because they aren't sure and are playing high stakes games, they have tendency to keep information pretty close to the vest......unlike some of the other groups here.    Besides, I find nothing dishonorable in seeking additional resources if you need them once you have reached the recovery point and have enough solid evidence to back up your claim.  

So I apologize for my poor wording.

BA

Thank you, BA, for clarifying your statement.  I don't find seeking additional resources, using legitimate and legal means, dishonorable either.  As a matter of personal choice, however, that is not the way I prefer to handle my businesses or hobbies. 
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70801.html#msg70801

Offline raterry
Copper Member

A lot of ground to cover
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

215.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Compadre, Tejon, Fisher CZ3D, Garrett Master Hunter
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2010, 09:07:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello everyone. Still going through Union Army records of the civil war. The KGC is mentioned quite a bit, but then again, so is the Copperhead Society. I have read in other articles how the Copperheads was in fact the KGC, but from what I am reading, there were at least 2 to 3 organizations that were trying to support the Confederacy. As to if there is any treasure, I think that there may be some small to medium caches still hidden in the US. But nothing to the level that legends make it to be. It has been surprising to me about how this keeps coming back to Jesse James. I think being an outlaw, with possible connections to the KGC, makes the legends of gold and silver all the more alluring.

RT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70802.html#msg70802

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2010, 09:34:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by raterry
Hello everyone. Still going through Union Army records of the civil war. The KGC is mentioned quite a bit, but then again, so is the Copperhead Society. I have read in other articles how the Copperheads was in fact the KGC, but from what I am reading, there were at least 2 to 3 organizations that were trying to support the Confederacy. As to if there is any treasure, I think that there may be some small to medium caches still hidden in the US. But nothing to the level that legends make it to be. It has been surprising to me about how this keeps coming back to Jesse James. I think being an outlaw, with possible connections to the KGC, makes the legends of gold and silver all the more alluring.

RT

Hi RT.  Other names for the KGC included Copperheads, Sons of Liberty, and the Order of American Knights during the War.  After the War ended was when even more aliases for the Knights were created and their work became much more secretive because their lives and the well-being of the South depended on it.  Based on my research, most of the treasure buried by the KGC was concealed many years AFTER the Civil War so, of course, it would not even be hinted at in the War of the Rebellion Records.  Naysayers use the defeat of the South and the resulting poverty of many Southerners during Reconstruction as "proof" that the Knights of the Golden Circle didn't have any large amount of treasure to deposit in the large depositories.  Most people fall for this trick before they even examine where the depository treasures came from and they either give up or they join the naysayers.  I recommend that those wanting to get some idea of where how the KGC's massive post-War wealth was accumulated, they should read "The Mysterious and Secret Order of the Knights of the Golden Circle" by Roy William Roush, PhD.  Once you get an idea of where the treasure came from, then the real work begins.  I believe that the KGC naysayers, the ones who are old enough to remember the discovery of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha by Mel Fisher many years ago, were also ridiculing Fisher and his quest for the sunken galleon before he finally found the largest treasure ever recovered by that time in our history - $400 million dollars worth if my memory is correct.  And yes, his friend Dr. Lyons (I think was his name) did extensive research on this galleon in the Archives of Seville that helped the project along but it still took about 20 years of hard work, persistence, ridicule, and sacrifice by Mel Fisher and his family until the "proof" was recovered and displayed for the world to see.  Bob Brewer, in the book "Rebel Gold", tells of Mel Fisher looking for KGC treasure in Arkansas years after his discovery of the Atocha.  Unlike the Spanish, the KGC did not record their treasure in any national or other archives.
~Texas Jay     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70803.html#msg70803

Offline Lt1stone
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

X-Terra 70, Sears Best, Bounty Hunter101
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Would be sweet! even if it was a small one! Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70806.html#msg70806

Offline raterry
Copper Member

A lot of ground to cover
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

215.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by spx786
What do you mean Snuff Bar and Guns?Huh? Here's what Jay quoted from the article "Colt pistol and an old snuff jar filled with gold coins and silver dollars dating
1844-1880."

Good point. From the Union Amy records I have read, the KGC was something to be worried about. Enough so that Secretary Stanton sent a few communications about the KGC. As for large treasures, I think that, more than likely, there may be a large number of small caches hid away by members. My grandfather had a large number of silver dollars hid away, not that he was a member of the KGC, he just wanted to be sure that he had money for his family in case of tough times. That little stash was a few hundred dollars in silver coin. So, if a farmer in rural Alabama, could set aside that kind of money, I have no doubt that the fervent followers of the confederacy could cache away sums of silver and gold. My thinking is that it is easier to hide small to moderate caches, than to hide large and extremly large caches.

RT
Why do you think Jay is emotionally involved and not looking at the facts when the facts present themselves. Just look at the Jesse James Hidden Treasure show on the History Channel, the silver coins are tarnished and not new and anyone who knows anything about Gold will tell you that Gold doesn't tarnish period! And what about the Gold bar they pulled from the base of a tree, do you think that just fell out of someones pocket? And the dates on the coins gives more evidence supporting it being a KGC Cache!

The trouble with history is that people can be so unwilling to look at all sides. Especially when someone is presented with a new or differing viewpoint. Jay and others are here on this forum presenting things for us to all look at and learn from. History is always changing as new evidence is discovered.  Great

-SPX786

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70940.html#msg70940

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2010, 03:44:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by raterry

It has been surprising to me about how this keeps coming back to Jesse James. I think being an outlaw, with possible connections to the KGC, makes the legends of gold and silver all the more alluring.

There is no physical evidence that connects Jesse James, the outlaw, with the Knights of the Golden Circle. Simply none

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70971.html#msg70971

Offline raterry
Copper Member

A lot of ground to cover
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

215.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2010, 05:48:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rational Observer
There is no physical evidence that connects Jesse James, the outlaw, with the Knights of the Golden Circle. Simply none

I am glad that someone did point out that there is no physical proof or evidence. That is why it is more a legend than hard fact. But then again, glass half full, half empty. We have no evidence that he was not a member. Being open minded, I try not to discount either side, because we are in fact, as has been said here before, dealing with legend. A mason jar becomes several jars, then becomes several barrels of silver and gold. Some individuals still talk of El Dorado.

RT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70974.html#msg70974

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2010, 01:31:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats very true raterry. I'm glad there is some other open minded people on here too. I'm glad we are looking at this the same way. There's no evidence saying he wasn't, so what's to say he wasn't part of the KGC?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg71013.html#msg71013

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2010, 03:44:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi members.  There is a lot of evidence that all of Quantrill's Raiders were KGC so, since Jesse W. James and his brother Frank were both with Quantrill, they were Knights also.  This subject is way too complex to discuss it all here but the members of our Yahoo group have investigated it for several years now and the evidence can be found there and we have many knowledgeable members there who will be glad to answer other members' questions.  At our group, we do not allow members to make direct personal attacks or to ridicule any other member as we don't allow ourselves to be distracted from our important historical research there.  That doesn't mean our 170 members agree on everything or even most things because we don't.  We just make sure that members conduct themselves in an adult manner and respect others beliefs and opinions.
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg71024.html#msg71024

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:18:25 pm by Christian »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2010, 05:07:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by justint538
Thats very true raterry. I'm glad there is some other open minded people on here too. I'm glad we are looking at this the same way. There's no evidence saying he wasn't, so what's to say he wasn't part of the KGC?

Oh, dear. There's no evidence that he wasn't in France during the Civil War either. Does that mean your are open to the fact that he is the great grandfather of Brigitte Bardot?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg71034.html#msg71034

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
Jump to: